Who likes Beer? I host a radio show all about Beer...
Feb 16, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 71
Well, the Germans are known for their quality beers. I can see prefering one beer over another. But outright dismissal of all germany's fine beers?? It's heresy!!

wink.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #17 of 71
Not a huge beer fan (vodka for me), but a very cool site. Will pass on to my brother, a huge beer fan.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #18 of 71
BEER LOVER.

Czech beers are usually not mentioned but from where do you think Pilsner and Budweiser (not the US Budweiser) are originally from???

I would be very strict: IMHO the best beers are cooked in Germany and Czech Republic (lower fermentation process) and Netherlands, Belgium and UK (upper fermentation process). I came this conclusion by tasting & drinking beers from Austria, Australia, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Japan, China, USA, Mexico, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Croatia.

I prefer dark & black beers and blended specialities. Belgium has the widest range of these specialities.

Feb 16, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #19 of 71
living in seattle i got burned out on the microbrews during the 90's, although i still liked anchor steam beer quite a bit.

imo the greatest beers are from germany (becks), holland (grolsch), and czechoslvakia (pilsner urquell); just nectar.

but everyone is so concerned about my drinking they never bother to ask about my thirst.
confused.gif

[size=xx-small]i miss beer.[/size]
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #21 of 71
An interesting statistic, beer consumption per capita worldwide (1995):

Top 7 countries:

1. The Czech Republic 160 (e.g. that means more then one 0.33 l bottle everyday!!!)
2. Germany 137.7
3. Denmark 124.4
4. Austria 115.6
5. Ireland 112.6
6. Belgium 106
7. The United Kingdom 102.7

However the statistic incl. also children, eldery people. Assuming that females don't drink beer so much, you can imagine how much beer some people have to drink in these countries.

Feb 16, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
I'm not aware of that beer. But; a lot of the Belgium beers, we don't get here.

the de Selys was brewed somewhere in Texas
wink.gif

But the company was headed by a belgian guy who developped the hoegaerden recipe for interbrew before flying to the states.

Feb 16, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #23 of 71
Since coming to Israel I've been able to try many European beers not easily found in America. Belgian beers seem to be even better than Czech -- of course I still love Plzen's Pilsner Urquell, but the Afflingem and Leffe beers of Belgium are amazing. The original Budweiser Budvarr was somewhat disappointing, and the two Israeli beers (Maccabee and Goldstar) were nothing special.

All beers here are expensive, though, so I go for good old Russian Baltika, usually #4 (dark ale, 5.6% alcohol) and #6 (porter, 7% alcohol). #9 (light ale, 8% alcohol) only occasionally!

Also, Krusovice is very good and more reasonably priced -- I believe it's from the Czech Republic also?

Of course, though, I miss my old Sammy Boston Ale.
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
the de Selys was brewed somewhere in Texas
wink.gif

But the company was headed by a belgian guy who developped the hoegaerden recipe for interbrew before flying to the states.

Ahhhhh! Your talking about "Celis Brewery"! They are located in Austin, TX. Miller Brewing bought them a few years back.

http://www.beerme.com/breweries/us/tx/1141.shtml

Apparently; it is now closed.

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #25 of 71
lately, it's all been about newcastle:

newcastle.jpg

everytime i go to one of these exotic beer bars and try something new, it's never as good as my favorites (guinness and newcastle) and so i just keep coming back. lately i've really enjoyed boddington's (england) though. i guess i'm a uk/ireland sort of beer drinker, though i know i've had a couple from belgium and germany that were quite outstanding.

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #26 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
lately, it's all been about newcastle:

Cool! It's all about having fun, and trying new beers, when possible. New Castle is good. Typically, I prefer hoppier ales, but I like New Castle. Here are a few of my favorites...

Sierra Nevada "Pale Ale" and "Celebration Ale" - CA
Goose Island "IPA" - Chicago
Rogue "Dead Guy Ale" - OR
Pyramid "IPA" - WA
Stone Brewery "Arrogant person Ale" - CA

From Germany...

Aventinus Doppel Bock Wheat
Franziskaner Hefe Weizen
Paulaner Octoberfest

Belgium...

Chimay
Duvel

I have 3 beer refrigerators, and at any given time, I usually have about 8-13 brands (Styles) of beers to drink at home.

I also love the Barleywine Ales (typically 9% abv and beyond), such as "Bigfoot Ale" by Sierra Nevada.

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
Ahhhhh! Your talking about "Celis Brewery"!

oops, sorry, you're right. C and not S.

Btw, Duvel is my absolute favorite. Close second is the Orval. Ever tried this one ?

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
oops, sorry, you're right. C and not S.

Btw, Duvel is my absolute favorite. Close second is the Orval. Ever tried this one ?

Yes! Orval is another great Belgium Beer!!
biggrin.gif
"Maredsous 8" is also good.

Be sure to sign the "Brew Line" Guestbook, and let me know where you all are from.

Feb 16, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Since coming to Israel I've been able to try many European beers not easily found in America. Belgian beers seem to be even better than Czech -- of course I still love Plzen's Pilsner Urquell, but the Afflingem and Leffe beers of Belgium are amazing. The original Budweiser Budvarr was somewhat disappointing, and the two Israeli beers (Maccabee and Goldstar) were nothing special.

All beers here are expensive, though, so I go for good old Russian Baltika, usually #4 (dark ale, 5.6% alcohol) and #6 (porter, 7% alcohol). #9 (light ale, 8% alcohol) only occasionally!

Also, Krusovice is very good and more reasonably priced -- I believe it's from the Czech Republic also?

Of course, though, I miss my old Sammy Boston Ale.
frown.gif

Nice Post, Dan!
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG

Dan, you're right. Krusovice is one of the oldest Czech/Bohemian breweries (since 1517).

http://www.krusovice.net/english/index.html

beer.gif

I especially love their dark beer (IMHO the best dark beer in Czech Republic).
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back