Who is/was your favourite Late-Night TV Talk Show Host: Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, ......?
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63
Who is/was your favourite Late-Night TV Talk Show Host:
Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, David Letterman, ......?

Who is/was the Greatest: Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, Steve Allen, Jack Paar,
Jay Leno, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, ....?

King of Late Night - Johnny Carson

5_carson.jpg

Do you watch any American TV Talk Shows in Canada, Britain, Australia, ...?

We only consider entertainment/variety type Late-Night TV Talk Shows.
For instance "Nightline" (with Ted Koppel) is not of this type.

Have Fun!

P.S.
By the way, Craig Ferguson is Scottish.
He became a U.S. citizen on February 1, 2008.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 63
Props to Carson of course, but I do love Conan. Letterman has passed his peak and even in his new stuff I see throwbacks to what he used to do during that writer's strike in the 80's. We stopped getting Letterman anyway, and I don't miss it.

But I do miss me some Daily Show. Canal+ used to show it, but they've cheaped-out. CNN's Daily Show Global Edition is a Reader's Digest of TDS. I remember Jon Stewart all the way back to the days of Short Attention Span Theater.
biggrin.gif

We don't get Craig Ferguson, but wish we did. He's a naturally funny guy. Mr. Wick FTW!
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 63
Cavett. Never pandered for a laugh or belittled himself for one like the other bozos.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 63
Carson. He was the original and much more versatile than any of the others.

I like Leno better live. He usually performs Sunday nights in Hermosa Beach, and he's great. Television makes it tough to tell a 5 or 10 minute story, but that's no problem in the club. He also tests Monday's monologue on the audience - anything that gets a good laugh will show up the next day.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 63
None of them are ever funny in their monologues, but most are quick in the interviews, though I do suspect a lot of that is somewhat scripted. The conversations flow a bit to easily to be completely on the fly, IMO, so it dampens it somewhat.

None of them can shine Morton Downey Jr's shoes. RIP, great one.

Honorable mention to Magic Johnson. (OK, that one was a joke, but his show was legendary!)

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 63
Conan for me.

I really can't stand Letterman, Kimmel is out if his element and I rarely catch Ferguson (although I love his wit and delivery). Leno is a riot (though like others, I prefer his comedy off of the show - he's a wonderful comedic storyteller) and I can appreciate him on a number of levels, notably his zest for the car hobby.

Between Stewart and Colbert, I much prefer Stewart but I do love both of their programs and I'm glad Colbert took the approach he did for his show, since they end up complimenting one another, rather than competing.

I have no idea who Dick Cavett is, but now I'm intrigued.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 63
Funniest guest host episode ever was Steve Martin in for Johnny - before Steve was big, he was just a stand up comic, no movies yet. He embarrassed guest John Denver so badly that Steve wasn't invited back to guest host again until he got hot. Sumbiotch that was a funny show.... or maybe it was the dope smokin back in those days.

Don't watch TV anymore - except for an occasional "bug show" on discovery. I don't even know who a couple of the hosts mentioned are.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 63
Too bad Craig Killborn didn't make the list. Remember him as the first host of the Daily Show, and then the Late Late show. I remember Jon Stewart being the new guy. Good times.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 63
Johnny will always be King. The problem I have with Letterman is that it's the same schtick over and over and over. Of the current hosts, I prefer Leno but I do wish he'd do something about his writers. I though he was much funnier during the recent strike. I also think Kimmel has great potential.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad Craig Killborn didn't make the list. Remember him as the first host of the Daily Show, and then the Late Late show. I remember Jon Stewart being the new guy. Good times.

I had absolutely no idea there was a predecessor to Stewart on The Daily Show! Kilborn was a riot, but his show just couldn't seem to hold a candle (overall) to Conan, so he was usually relegated to "between ads" duty.

I still remember every guest, no matter who it was, coming out to "Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew. Classic.

When he decided to pursue acting, though... yikes. I wonder what he's doing now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back