Who is using the Safari beta that came out a few days ago?
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
It is really nice. Apple has once again OSXed the crap out of a program (which I enjoy). Safari now has something akin to coverflow, and it is lightning fast. The search is improved a lot too. And they moved the tabs so that they don't make the window smaller anymore. I really realize how much time I spend on the web when these changes matter so much to me. Anyone else enjoying it/discovered neat new stuff?

Download Here.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Are you talking about the Windows or Mac version?

I first got word of the beta browser from here: [Yahoo] Apple Safari 4 Considered Fastest Browser In The World - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

But like all things Mac, there seemed to just be some oddities that I couldn't get over with, and so I went back to my trusty FF3.
beerchug.gif

EDIT: lol there is a Windows version too, y'know. It just depends what OS you use to visit that website.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 16
Overall, I think it's a nice improvement. The oddly placed tab bar will take some getting used to, but the top sites feature is kind of cool (it's kind of gimmicky at the same time, though). I doubt I'll ever use the cover-flow history view.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 16
That is true, but the top sites is neat. Cover flow in general is not really that useful, but it looks neat, and I guess that it works well for iTunes.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 16
using it now... on my PC. it doesn't seem faster than Firefox. but more than speed, i'm looking for something that won't eat up my RAM. right now, it seems that Safari is losing that race as well.

i've been playing around with Chrome, but it's a little tweaky, too.

So Firefox is still the king on my PC.

on my Mac, i seem to prefer Camino over Safari.. but maybe this will change my mind.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Understandable. Ram is just never an issue for me. I don't run that many programs at a time and I have 2 gigs on my laptop. I am always just going to choose the interface that has the best combo of looks and speed. I just never liked the way that firefox looks. Same with IE.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 16
I was trying to figure that out. I have no idea.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Pity the online speed tests have ignored Firefox 3.1, which is close in speed. I think I'll ultimately stay with Firefox, as it has far better features. In safari, I can't type "getnew" to get the latest posts on here, and it doesn't remember that particular url automatically, only the head-fi front page.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 16
I just started using the new Safari on my Mac. Usually I stick with Firefox. So far, though, I like Safari. It's fast, easy to use, and I like the Top Sites feature (like Opera). The memory use seems to be a little heavier than Firefox, but not dramatically more, and memory is not an issue for me with 4 GB. It will be interesting to see how the memory use changes with Snow Leopard when it comes out.

From using Firefox 90% of the time I'm now using Safari over 50%. We'll have to wait to see if it lasts.

Mooch

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 16
The "oddly placed tabs bar" is genius. Sure it will take a little getting used to, but it doesn't take up any valuable screen space! It's also very fast, although I do notice that part of it is due to how the pages are rendered. In Firefox, you get progressive rendering. In Safari 4, I notice I get stuck on a blank page for a flash, and then suddenly the whole page renders almost simultaneously. Maybe this gives the impression that it is faster. That said, I do honestly find Safari 4 loads up pages much faster than Firefox. It's really quite impressive.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far it seems fast and stable on my Mac. The top sites is pretty hokey but easy to ignore. Does anyone know what the ant icon really does?

I think it's for sending bug reports to Apple (since the prgoram is still in beta).

I tried FF on Mac, and I don't like the interface, and the fact that they don't have a shortcut for moving from one tab to another. (It's Apple+Shift+Right/Left Arrow on Safari)

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 16
Not me!
I really can't stand Safari, and I doubt version 4 will change that.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not me!
I really can't stand Safari, and I doubt version 4 will change that.

x2! At least with the beta, which I haven't tried, but read about in detail, you can finally rearrange tabs. However, no browser I've ever used on any platform handles tabs and windows as nicely as OmniWeb. Showing the thumbnails in a drawer seems to me like the best way to work with tabs. Also, the ad blocking in OmniWeb as well as the individual site preferences are far more advanced features than you get with other browsers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back