Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil?
Feb 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #92 of 226
how about yggdrasil's benefit versus the gungnir, which is also described as bitperfect?

Gungnir is referred to as "Bit Perfect" because it uses the input directly without a Sample Rate Converter (as most current Sigma Delta DACs do) to first step up the data. After entering the DAC, the data is handled in typical Sigma Delta over sampling processing, that rewrites and approximates the original data. "Bit Perfect" is lost in this step, even in the Gungnir.

The Yggy also inputs Bit Perfect data, same as the Gungnir. Where this differs internally, the Yggy uses an old is new software to upsample that maintains the original samples, therefore maintaining "Bit Perfect" data with upsamples being fed to the internal digital to analog converter.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #93 of 226
Gungnir is referred to as "Bit Perfect" because it uses the input directly without a Sample Rate Converter (as most current Sigma Delta DACs do) to first step up the data. After entering the DAC, the data is handled in typical Sigma Delta over sampling processing, that rewrites and approximates the original data. "Bit Perfect" is lost in this step, even in the Gungnir.

The Yggy also inputs Bit Perfect data, same as the Gungnir. Where this differs internally, the Yggy uses an old is new software to upsample that maintains the original samples, therefore maintaining "Bit Perfect" data with upsamples being fed to the internal digital to analog converter.

so is the yggy not oversampled in the same sense that the metrum dacs are nos?  or does the yggy's upsampling, albeit bitperfect,  still "count" in terms of creating the need for negative feedback loops which correct distortions at the expense of creating multiple smaller distortions?

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #94 of 226
so is the yggy not oversampled in the same sense that the metrum dacs are nos?  or does the yggy's upsampling, albeit bitperfect,  still "count" in terms of creating the need for negative feedback loops which correct distortions at the expense of creating multiple smaller distortions?

Yggy can internally upsample, but by a process that does not alter the original data, only adding interpolation samples. A first for an audio DAC with a digital filter.

The Metrum if NOS or 1X over sampling as Audio Note calls it, uses no digital filter and therefore the data reaching the R2R DAC section has not been altered from being Bit Perfect.

I can't offer an answer to the rest of your questions.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #95 of 226
I understand that expected availability of the first production run of the Yggdrasil is at the end of this quarter. Does anyone know whether Schiit is accepting pre-orders for the Yggdrasil, or whether the first production run is already sold out? TIA!

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #96 of 226
  I understand that expected availability of the first production run of the Yggdrasil is at the end of this quarter. Does anyone know whether Schiit is accepting pre-orders for the Yggdrasil, or whether the first production run is already sold out? TIA!

No pre-orders, but I fear that first batch will disappear within hours (minutes ?) of the Yggy appearing on the Product page. Not trying to drum up business for Schiit, but if the main thread is any indication, 100 or so brand new Yggys is unlikely to last too long. Not sure where the break-even point is on a product with such exacting tolerances but hopefully laser technology has improved to the point that getting those tiny resistors machined is no longer prohibitively expensive.

On your other point, Mike mentioned in the other thread that he was happy that he was able to hand the Yggy over to Schiit's production team within ten days of his initial estimate - that has many here hoping for a debut on the Product page by April 10. I know - dreams are free  :wink:

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #99 of 226
How U know first batch is around 100?
I don't see any possible shortage, maybe delays once production gets going full steam...
its not like they made by hand.. right? :p lol

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #101 of 226
How U know first batch is around 100?
I don't see any possible shortage, maybe delays once production gets going full steam...
its not like they made by hand.. right?
tongue.gif
lol

That's the number we came up with in the other thread - it's as good a number as any, with the possible exception of 42 which - as I'm sure you know - is the meaning of life. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #102 of 226
The more I read about Theta's, Audio GD's, PS Audio's, Chords and tons of more acs in this price range or higher, the more I want this piece of Schiit equipment! 
biggrin.gif

All those other dacs seem fantastic, but they all have strong and relative weak points and I have never seen so much positivity about any of them as I've seen with the Yggdrasil.

If the price in dollars will also be the price in euros: oh hellz yeah, I'm gonna buy one! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #103 of 226
  The more I read about Theta's, Audio GD's, PS Audio's, Chords and tons of more acs in this price range or higher, the more I want this piece of Schiit equipment! 
biggrin.gif

All those other dacs seem fantastic, but they all have strong and relative weak points and I have never seen so much positivity about any of them as I've seen with the Yggdrasil.

If the price in dollars will also be the price in euros: oh hellz yeah, I'm gonna buy one! 
biggrin.gif

The difference is that the DACs you mention have all been heard by many Head-Fiers over an extended period of time - Yggdrasil hasnt. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #104 of 226
So,being that we are approaching the end of the first quarter {end of April} ,is there anywhere we can get a bit more info on the actual specs,of the Yiggy.
Or are we all,being kept in Limbo,until the release date?

Mike

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #105 of 226
The first quarter ends March 31. Schiit should have Yggy at CanJam - March 28-29 - in CA : I'm guessing that all will be revealed by March 30. It's currently 12:52am on March 1st here in Thailand - not long to wait at all :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back