who is actually using dialup?
Sep 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so we've all seen threads with titles like 56k Warning. Dialup beware. I'm just curious as who actually still uses dialup these days? I switched to highspeed about 7-8 years ago, and I don't know of a single one of my friends who is still using a 56k modem. If you're still using the old phone line please post a reply in this thread. If it gets no replies then we can all start posting large images without consideration to those supposedly still on dialup.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 55
Same - I was actually one of the beta testers for Australia DSL about 9 years ago and I've never looked back.

I don't even think we should make any concessions for dial up users. If one is too stingy to fork out an extra $5 a month for broadband (which is about the difference after you add call costs), don't expect the rest of us to accommodate you with small pics.

The future is digital... in work, home, connectivity, mobile communications, recorded music and video. Get with the times or get left behind.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been on dialup in years.

However, I can tell you who is on dialup. Most people in rural areas. High speed is simply not available often.

x2. For these people, broadband is usually too costly or even not available for their area. As much as dial-up is a relic nowadays, it is still one of the very few options available to them.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 55
Any dial up users?... please don't be shy, this thread should not be a "lynch-mob". It should serve to validate the necessity of 56k warnings and thumb-nailing large pics. Not every place has access to DSL or high speed service, if that is you please post here... head-fi understands.

Anyone?

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 55
Back home we still have dial-up, not by choice of course. We're one of the people that live out in the middle of nowhere so we don't get DSL or cable. We're actually lucky we even have a phone line.
blink.gif

So for anyone who is still stuck on 56k (or lower) I feel your pain.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 55
Even if dial up is fading away, I just put the warning if there are many pictures in my thread, and I'd like others to do the same, especially if you're posting .bmp's that are like 800k+ each and stretch the screen.

It's not really about the dial up to me (thats just a habit / remainder of the past), but more a warning / notification that there are many pictures in the thread.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 55
It's not just about those using dial-up. I sometimes while traveling read Head-Fi using a phone-as-modem connection, and I'm posting this from an EVDO phone. Now if we had a WAP-enabled site, it would be a different story ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back