Who here still reads?
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #16 of 43
In short: Yes I read. In fact, I probably split my time up equally between reading (mostly fiction and poetry, but a lot of criticism and other non-fiction stuff as well), listening to music, watching films, writing, and playing poker (my job). Lately I've been obsessed with John Donne, and by now I have three editions of his poems and about four or five books of criticism (I especially recommend Desiring Donne).

In long: I think if you're basing the "people aren't reading" theory on the emptiness of libraries and the shutting down of bookstores then you're not getting the whole picture. Remember that we live in a digital age, and things like Kindle, the internet, iPads, Amazon, etc. have made it possible to read without ever stepping foot in time a library or a B&M store. I couldn't tell you the last time I went to the library or visited a bookstore. I stopped the latter because they almost never had what I was looking for (though I used to frequently check out their books on Shakespeare), and I generally find it much more comfortable to buy books and read them whenever I get the time, rather than being rushed to read them in a few weeks (I also frequently like to read multiple books at a time so I don't get too bored with any one).

One thing to consider about the internet is that it's not just bits of information anymore, but you can actually access entire books (often for free!) online. It maybe because my eyes have adjusted to viewing a screen better than pages, but I find I can speed read and comprehend much better when reading online than in books. I think part of it is because of ease, the ability to just click and go to a chapter, the ability to type ctrl+f to find a passage, the ability to double-click on a word and see the definition (this is a handy add-on for those with Firefox), etc. I tend to find reading physical books cumbersome anymore, and I tend to only do so when there's no equivalent available online.

As for lazy students, I wonder if that's really much of a new phenomenon. I also think that the internet (in general) has made it infinitely easier for students to study and (sadly) cheat without having to pour in a ton of time. I never went to college precisely because I've always been much more comfortable studying on my own without worrying about tests and papers and all of that. It also just so happens that I seem to know a heck of a lot more than all of my friends and relatives that are college graduates (go figure).

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #18 of 43
I've always been an avid reader and I'm probably reading more since I've gotten my Kindle. I'm tempted to say that the reason many people don't read anymore is because of their lack of an attention span, but then you have kids who can play video games or can text on their phones for hours on end. I think part of the problem is that current culture has changed the way our brains need to be stimulated. People have become so accustomed to quick bursts of info, visuals, and sound, that if they pick up a book and try to read for an extended period of time, it's basically a foreign experience. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #19 of 43
I stopped reading at least 10 years ago (laziness). Now that i'm back in college, i've started reading on my own time again, and i must say i actually enjoy it. I'ts amazing how reading stimulates the mind, and arouses your imagination in ways movies and music can't.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 43
I read. Not much, and only when I'm interested. But I still read.

I don't read much because I don't like fiction. Immersing yourself in a book is nice if you have the time. But that means I have to go out and find an interesting book to read, sit down for however many hours without distraction and finish reading it. And what do I get from the book? Simply ideas.

Instead, I love knowledge. And there's a readily available source of knowledge right on the Internet. Why grab a book to pour over and gain maybe a few lessons about human nature, decision making, or even nothing, than go on the Internet and read over articles, reviews, opinions, and guides. 

Of course, I don't think this is usually the case, and not what the topic starter meant, but it's somewhat relevant. 
And while reading, there's always a possibility I could misinterpret information, which kind of annoys me.

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 43
I read, probably close to four or five books a month.

I started reading when I was pretty young, before kindergarten. I wonder whether it's one of those habits that's easier made early than late. I read both fiction and for information.  I think you get a lot more depth out of a book than the slices (I include professional articles here too) available on the internet.

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #23 of 43
About 2 hours a day, 40 minutes on the way to work, 40 minutes on the way back from work and about 40 minutes before going to sleep.  On a lighter day when I have some time to myself, I take off to a cafe with a book as well. :)  I try to keep a healthy mix of fiction vs non-fiction, though lately I've been reading much more non-fiction and there are 4 more non-fiction books in the queue... I'll have to pause in between them for something light and funny, perhaps something by Christopher Moore. :)

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #24 of 43
I read every day on my Kindle. In a way I hate the idea of it, but it sure makes reading fun. No, they didn't pay me to say that, but it's true! It's also nice how they have dozens of books you can download for free on Amazon. Right now I'm reading "Norwegian Wood". I have no clue what it's about, so don't tell me. One of my favorite directors is making the movie of it. He's the guy who directed "The Scent of Green Papaya" which is one of my favorite movies.

I probably read 2 hours a day, but that's going to change soon. I wish I had more free time.

Most of the books I read are about religion or World War II. 90% non-fiction mostly, but probably not anymore. Last good book I read was the Diary of Anne Frank.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 43

Quote:
I read every day on my Kindle. In a way I hate the idea of it, but it sure makes reading fun. No, they didn't pay me to say that, but it's true! It's also nice how they have dozens of books you can download for free on Amazon. Right now I'm reading "Norwegian Wood".

Murakami FTW! if you like that try out dance dance dance or hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world :) i love my kindle too.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I'm reading "Norwegian Wood". I have no clue what it's about, so don't tell me.

I think it's about a guy who had a girl (or she had him), she shows him her room (isn't it good?), or something like that.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #27 of 43

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I'm reading "Norwegian Wood". I have no clue what it's about, so don't tell me.

I think it's about a guy who had a girl (or she had him), she shows him her room (isn't it good?), or something like that.

And dominated by a general lack of seating, I seem to remember.

I read, about equal amounts of class related, the papers and fiction, 19th and 20th century mostly.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 43
In my case I have actually just started to pick up reading again. My mother used to read alot to me when I was a child, and in my teens, especially the early years I read alot myself.
However it went downhill as I grew older and stopped entirely during years of my studies at university were I naturally read other books.

However now that I am out of university I have decided that I want to get back into reading more as I used to do, I have always liked libraries and antique bookshops as I love being around books so I for sure prefer reading a physical copy of a book, plus I find it rewarding to look at my rather meager collection. There is something timeless about sitting in a chair and reading while flipping the pages getting absorbed in a different world as opposed to read text online or with other electronic devices.

However I do notice that I am not so used to read outside university so I do not stress it to much now in the beginnig. If I read between 15-20 books next year I`ll be happy.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 43
Are you kidding me?  Reading = everything.
The amount of knowledge you gain is unbelievable. Also helps with intuition and creative skills.
Anything from george rr martin to robin hobb and brent weeks.
But nonfiction is good as well.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 43

Quote:
Are you kidding me?  Reading = everything.
The amount of knowledge you gain is unbelievable. Also helps with intuition and creative skills.
Anything from george rr martin to robin hobb and brent weeks.
But nonfiction is good as well.

Agreed, I also agree with my 'fav' authors haven't came out with anything yet I used to go to the book store every month. I start slacking off about 2 months ago but I'll be back 

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back