Who here smokes pipe tobacco?
Apr 19, 2006 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sub

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy folks,

Just wondering who among us here smokes pipe tobacco. I have taken on this other new hobby even if I am being labelled uncool, as dammit pipe smoke gives me a lot of satisfaction and seems like a lost art. Also collecting and finding nice pipes fits in with my compusive obsessive behaviour
biggrin.gif

Tobaccos....ohh how I love em. On the other hand I hate cigarette smoke, go figure
rolleyes.gif

I lean towards english blends.

Anybody?

PS. I don't smoke around my headphones and amp...

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 20
I used to enjoy a pipe, sadly now because there's nowhere inside I can smoke I'm screwed. Trying to enjoy a pipe outside in shetty weather isn't the same. Unless you're a full-time pipe smoker, a pipe needs to be savored inside, on a comfy chair with a nice drink.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 20
I used to smoke pipes...still have it somewhere with a bag of pipe tobacco. I don't like cigars but LOVE the smell of pipe tobacco burning.

I smoked on and off for about 10+ years and recently (last September) gave it up again. Pipe smoking is nice but you will have a REAL tough time finding places that will allow you to smoke one. Smoking inside the house is out of the question.....

Here are a few web-sites dedicated to pipe smoking.
http://fujipub.com/ooops/
http://www.pipes.org/
http://www.pipes.org/asp_FAQ.html
http://pipes.priss.org/howto.php
http://www.marketstmall.com/shade/
Enjoy your new hobby.

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 20
Yep, I share your pain gents...but I will also say that since I switched to pipe tobacco, my smoking has lessened as it is such a ritual to pack the pipe well, choose a tobacco for my mood, light it with a matchstick, lol, by the time I am done...its a good three minutes to get it all going, but what a treat eh?

I always get a good response when I use vanilla or chocolate tobacco, but truth be known I am all for a bit of latakia.

Find a spot outside the house, take out the Grado RS1 and RA1 (just this once) and the finest briar pipe (preferably a Dunhill...let's dream shall we)....ahhh! Sonic nirvana and a world of my own...let's put on Revolver or Rubber Soul while we're at it.....

Dont forget the cognac or rum.

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
I wanted to take it up this summer. Any advice for a newbie? I've smoked cigars but I'm considering pipes because they look like you can have shorter sessions and buying tobacco is cheaper. Is this true?

Its quality time with a pipe pne, like a long suffering wife. A cigar is a mistress, cigarettes a street walker
wink.gif

Pipe tobacco is cheaper imho but you can also get exotic stuff if you get into it in a big way. Some have pipe tobacco stashed for a decade or more...and those are seemingly highly prized (re ebay).

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 20
I don't smoke / never have, and hopefully never will, but out of curiousity.. Pipe tobacco would include all of the health risks as smoking tobacco normally, correct? (You would be taking in all of the same elements that make up the average cigratee, right?)

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I don't smoke / never have, and hopefully never will, but out of curiousity.. Pipe tobacco would include all of the health risks as smoking tobacco normally, correct? (You would be taking in all of the same elements that make up the average cigratee, right?)

The short answer is yes.

Some would justify that cigarettes have synthetic agents for faster burn, nicotine boost, plus because of convenience, you tend to smoke frequently.

I personally am moderate in my smoking...one of those times I really look forward to at the end of the day or the weekend. Pipe tobacco is supposed to be more "organic" but take that with a grain of salt.
biggrin.gif

But to answer your question I would say yes.

I suggest that if you are not a smoker, its probably best not to start.

If you are a heavy smoker, pipe smoking is a good alternative for cutting down gradually imho.

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 20
I smoke more cigars than pipes, but I have a few nice english pipes and a merscham dragon claw my wife got me. When I smoke, I like english blends.

To me, they taste a WHOLE LOT better than they smell...

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE

Pipe tobacco carries with it all the same risks of oral cancer, but on the whole i'd say it's considerably better than cigarettes.

-You don't inhale
-You end up spending more time fiddling around with your pipes than you do smoking them
-You tend to smoke a lot less - packing/lighting/etc, turns it into a bit more of a ceremony.
-If you're like myself you'll gradually switch over to more expensive brands of tobacco, and then things turn even more into a ceremony as you start smoking less (but better) stuff
-You'll probably never "chain smoke" a pipe like most people do cigarettes

As far as tobacco tastes go, I prefer cooler blends and my favorites are all vanilla. Sometimes I get in the mood for something a bit rougher, but not often.

Of course, i'd never advocate any form of smoking as a hobby and I suggest that noone start. I got into a stage at one point for about a month or so where I smoked more than one bowl of tobacco a week and really started feeling ashamed of myself (I am big on moderation, lol)... maybe now I smoke once every two weeks or so. I have given most of my smoking gear to friends and will probably quit in the next month or so, the hobby has been losing its desire for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back