Who here is a high school audiophile?
Mar 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #961 of 1,284
Quote:
Cool! I'm 14, but in 8th. Nice gear you have there! I needed to mention on this thread anyways that I bought the HE400 and am getting a Woodwind Ultra Portable Amp Review Sample.
biggrin.gif

Thanks! & Wow sounds like fun. o.o And Nice! How are the HE400? Worth the money? I really wanna get the HD600 soon :/

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #962 of 1,284
Thanks! & Wow sounds like fun. o.o And Nice! How are the HE400? Worth the money? I really wanna get the HD600 soon :/
I LOVE the HE400, worth the money in every aspect! They are by far my favorite at this price range... I've heard a couple other contenders from the $3-400 range. I've owned and returned the HD650s, K702s, mad dogs with alpha pads, and heard the HD600s, Grado rs325is, and Beyer DT770 at a meet, and the only cans I an interested in besides the HE400s are the Grados.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #964 of 1,284
Quote:
I LOVE the HE400, worth the money in every aspect! They are by far my favorite at this price range... I've heard a couple other contenders from the $3-400 range. I've owned and returned the HD650s, K702s, mad dogs with alpha pads, and heard the HD600s, Grado rs325is, and Beyer DT770 at a meet, and the only cans I an interested in besides the HE400s are the Grados.

> No HE-4/D2000 included in list
:frowning2:
HE-400s - who would be dumb enough to own those :p

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #965 of 1,284
Wow! You are one lucky kid! You said you heard the HD600? So you'd recommend the HE400 over the HD600? I'd REALLY wanna try out the HE400 now! & How was the meet? Did anyone find your age odd? 
Yeah, only because I find the treble bright, which suits my preferences... the bright treble just makes it sound so sharp and precise, not to mention the uber tight bass... not to mention that there are many pad mods that change the sound. I found the Jerg pad mod attenuated the treble to much, so I'm going to put a thinner sheet for a dust cover... I found the HD600s a little too dark for my tastes. I guess I just love a more aggressive treble...
[rule]Me being the youngest at the meet wasn't really a problem. I also invited a friend, but a lot of the older guys at the meet were helpful and nice! A guy with the username Pabbi1 actually GAVE me $400 worth of components and his old CTH amplifier which needed to be troubleshooted. :D

> No HE-4/D2000 included in list
:frowning2:
HE-400s - who would be dumb enough to own those :p
Says the person saving for an HE-6...

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #966 of 1,284
Quote:
Yeah, only because I find the treble bright, which suits my preferences... the bright treble just makes it sound so sharp and precise, not to mention the uber tight bass... not to mention that there are many pad mods that change the sound. I found the Jerg pad mod attenuated the treble to much, so I'm going to put a thinner sheet for a dust cover... I found the HD600s a little too dark for my tastes. I guess I just love a more aggressive treble...
Me being the youngest at the meet wasn't really a problem. I also invited a friend, but a lot of the older guys at the meet were helpful and nice! A guy with the username Pabbi1 actually GAVE me $400 worth of components and his old CTH amplifier which needed to be troubleshooted.
biggrin.gif

hint hint there are twelve-year-olds at meets all the time. No one seems to mind. 

Use rice paper for dust cover like the cool kids (the grills I mean). 

The proper term for that is masochist.

Not saving anymore, just looking for good deal.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #967 of 1,284
[rule]Me being the youngest at the meet wasn't really a problem. I also invited a friend, but a lot of the older guys at the meet were helpful and nice! A guy with the username Pabbi1 actually GAVE me $400 worth of components and his old CTH amplifier which needed to be troubleshooted. :D

Oh my! Gave?????? Again, you are very lucky! Wow, well its because for some reason i wouldve thought they wouldve seen 'kids' as noobies and wouldnt take them seriously. But such a suprise! & to be honest, i do prefer bright treble. So im guessing the HE400 would suit my taste? Unless there's another headphone <$400 youd recommend?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #968 of 1,284
hint hint there are twelve-year-olds at meets all the time. No one seems to mind. 

Use rice paper for dust cover like the cool kids (the grills I mean). 

The proper term for that is masochist.

Not saving anymore, just looking for good deal.
But your rice paper degrades.

Oh my! Gave?????? Again, you are very lucky! Wow, well its because for some reason i wouldve thought they wouldve seen 'kids' as noobies and wouldnt take them seriously. But such a suprise! & to be honest, i do prefer bright treble. So im guessing the HE400 would suit my taste? Unless there's another headphone <$400 youd recommend?
Nope, after trying most of the candidates in this price bracket besides the likes of Sony and Grado (Don't forget Beats! :p ) I vastly prefer my HE400s in EVERY way! :D

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #970 of 1,284
Quote:
Wow! You are one lucky kid! You said you heard the HD600? So you'd recommend the HE400 over the HD600? I'd REALLY wanna try out the HE400 now! & How was the meet? Did anyone find your age odd? 

I'd recommend against the HD600 personally, for my tastes at least. The treble was lacking detail IMHO, and the bass was a bit slow. Sold them and bought the Mad Dogs. I haven't heard the HE400 though so I can't give you any recommendations as to how they compare with the Mad Dogs. I do think the highest frequencies of the treble are lacking just ever so slightly from neutrality on the Mad Dogs, but a simple 1-2dB bump in that area using iTunes seems to have done the trick for me :)

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #971 of 1,284
But your rice paper degrades.
Nope, after trying most of the candidates in this price bracket besides the likes of Sony and Grado (Don't forget Beats! :p ) I vastly prefer my HE400s in EVERY way! :D

I hear Jude loves the Beats pro! Haha :tongue: & well then now for sure its between the HE400 & ER4PT c: depending if I want to spend $400 on an IEM or Full sized closed can.. And a lot of people here on head fi apperently love this pabbi1! There`s an entire thread on him! Sounds like a great guy.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #972 of 1,284
Quote:
I hear Jude loves the Beats pro! Haha
tongue.gif
& well then now for sure its between the HE400 & ER4PT c: depending if I want to spend $400 on an IEM or Full sized closed can.. And a lot of people here on head fi apperently love this pabbi1! There`s an entire thread on him! Sounds like a great guy.

Have both. They suck. Get the Beats Pros.

neither are really similar. Totally different paradigms. Even the UE900s have a more similar sig to the hifimans. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #973 of 1,284
I'd recommend against the HD600 personally, for my tastes at least. The treble was lacking detail IMHO, and the bass was a bit slow. Sold them and bought the Mad Dogs. I haven't heard the HE400 though so I can't give you any recommendations as to how they compare with the Mad Dogs. I do think the highest frequencies of the treble are lacking just ever so slightly from neutrality on the Mad Dogs, but a simple 1-2dB bump in that area using iTunes seems to have done the trick for me :)

Well I don't know too much about the Mad Dogs. Although, I simply want a balanced headphone with better than usual mids, since I was spoiled with those of the UE6000, and detailed highs . I don't care too much about bass, as long as it is not nonexistent. I am looking for something under $400 ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back