Who here is a high school audiophile?
Feb 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #826 of 1,284
Quote:
Everything you need to know about your maturity or lack of is in this quote. You have no idea the meaning of spoiled because you are spoiled.

Sucks to suck for you then.

At least I would have the ability to pay them back everything they spent for me while I was in college.

I can't say the same If I had to take out outrageous loans and be crippled by it.

EDIT: One of us really might want to check on our English. Apparently, Spoiled and Maturity mean different things for us.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #827 of 1,284
You're pretty arrogant and a tad (maybe more) immature for trying to wring money out of your parents' hands when they're already paying for your education.

You're also pretty spoiled since you've made it clear that you're getting an object (money) for something that shouldn't even be a problem. You're being indulged by your parents; having a monetary award for getting a good mark in school is a clear example of that, and you exhibit spoiled behavior by taking it as it is and trying to convince others to do the same. If you're receiving money at all from your parents for grades, you're at least a bit spoiled.

You're also extremely arrogant to boot, while your marks are still pretty bad. You speak like you know everything and we're completely wrong in judging you, maybe we are, but many of us have seen lots of people like you crash and burn in university. We're not telling you you're spoiled because we're jerks and get a kick out of it. In our perspective, you are.

It isn't about crippling loans, it's about the act of taking money from your parents because you're getting good grades.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #828 of 1,284
Quote:
You're pretty arrogant and a tad (maybe more) immature for trying to wring money out of your parents' hands when they're already paying for your education.

You're also pretty spoiled since you've made it clear that you're getting an object (money) for something that shouldn't even be a problem. You're being indulged by your parents; having a monetary award for getting a good mark in school is a clear example of that, and you exhibit spoiled behavior by taking it as it is and trying to convince others to do the same. If you're receiving money at all from your parents for grades, you're at least a bit spoiled.

You're also extremely arrogant to boot, while your marks are still pretty bad. You speak like you know everything and we're completely wrong in judging you, maybe we are, but many of us have seen lots of people like you crash and burn in university. We're not telling you you're spoiled because we're jerks and get a kick out of it. In our perspective, you are.

It isn't about crippling loans, it's about the act of taking money from your parents because you're getting good grades.

QFT. Honestly, as someone who does this to a lesser degree (as in, I asked for sax reeds, not gear), I consider myself pretty dang spoiled. I don't have much to add to this except to just accept the fact that you've been spoiled and to work twice as hard in college for the sake of working hard.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #829 of 1,284
I agree, but the mistake that xinze made was to be blatantly denial about the fact that he is spoiled at the same time boasting about it. Hey I was definitely spoiled when I was younger but I've never exploited it. I guess it's just the nature of this thread but I'm sure it's safe to assume that most of the members on forums are older. No one likes to see those kinds of things posted.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #830 of 1,284
To be fair, no one likes admitting they're spoiled. And most people here are still at least a little bit spoiled, because this hobby kind of screams that idea out (throwing money at very incremental increases in sound).

No one wants to start an argument, and we all know this is highschool and most of you are still teenagers and haven't really experienced all the awesomeness you will in the next decade or so, but sometimes it's still annoying to see posts like that (think of all those tweens you love to hate because they like Justin Bieber). We also don't expect it to change the way you view the world, like a reality check or something. It's just that no one likes being wrong.

This isn't to discourage highschoolers from posting here (we seriously aren't really going to judge any of you). I'm guessing that kind of unknowingly spoiled (and a tad arrogant) attitude just hit a nerve with fizzix, as it should. But you guys are still miles ahead of other kids in our books for even knowing about Head-fi. ^^

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #831 of 1,284
Reading Xinze's posts makes me feel like I'm in the minority group of kids that didn't want their parents to pay for their audio gear (or at least full cost) and would rather work for it/most of it 
confused_face.gif

I just feel like they're already paying for our education (I feel that mine is pretty expensive...) and that we shouldn't burden them any more.

Please lets just get back to talking about other happy things. Like girls maybe?

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #833 of 1,284
Reading Xinze's posts makes me feel like I'm in the minority group of kids that didn't want their parents to pay for their audio gear (or at least full cost) and would rather work for it/most of it 
confused_face.gif

I just feel like they're already paying for our education (I feel that mine is pretty expensive...) and that we shouldn't burden them any more.

Please lets just get back to talking about other happy things. Like girls maybe?

All guys highschool. :D

No just kidding, I feel bad for all my friends who had to live through all that testosterone.

Girls are trouble in highschool. Girls are trouble in university. Girls are trouble at work. Girls are trouble. Don't do it. XD But you'll have to eventually :c

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #834 of 1,284
Quote:
To be fair, no one likes admitting they're spoiled. And most people here are still at least a little bit spoiled, because this hobby kind of screams that idea out (throwing money at very incremental increases in sound).

No one wants to start an argument, and we all know this is highschool and most of you are still teenagers and haven't really experienced all the awesomeness you will in the next decade or so, but sometimes it's still annoying to see posts like that (think of all those tweens you love to hate because they like Justin Bieber). We also don't expect it to change the way you view the world, like a reality check or something. It's just that no one likes being wrong.

This isn't to discourage highschoolers from posting here (we seriously aren't really going to judge any of you). I'm guessing that kind of unknowingly spoiled (and a tad arrogant) attitude just hit a nerve with fizzix, as it should. But you guys are still miles ahead of other kids in our books for even knowing about Head-fi. ^^

Exactly. Personally I´m pretty spoiled, but I HATE when people say I´m spoiled for the simple fact that I can´t accept it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #835 of 1,284

Grade: 8th

Equipment: Phillips Cityscape Uptowns
JVC HA-S500z (Favorite ATM)
Razer Carcharias
Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox
Digizoid ZO2.3
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers (For my PC)
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Creative X-Fi Go! Pro
Monoprice 8320s x2
Phillips 3580
Rosewill RHTS-12004
Meelectronics M31
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs with Alpha pads (Ordering at the end of the month)

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #836 of 1,284
Yes, my parents made the promise that they'll pay for my college tuition and I decided to fully take advantage of that. That will probably be the reason they're so willing to throw money at me for this kind of stuff, because they know that they're actually saving money. Blisse, I completely see where you're coming from. It would seem unfair to many, but it's really a two party benefit still. Sure, I over-indulge in some luxuries but seriously - It's headphones. It's nothing but harmless entertainment, if I was squandering their hard earned money on marijuana/alcohol or etc, that's a whole different story then. 

I won't deny I'm arrogant as hell, but still, I don't plan on doing anything about it. It's worked pretty well for me so far. And again, Asians don't crash and burn in anything math + science related, not going to happen. My teachers all made it pretty clear that College courses scale up nicely in difficulty without any insane jumps. Seeing how easy Calculus I and Chemistry I + II is going right now, I'd be disappointed if there isn't a big jump in difficulty 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 There's my arrogance again.

If that is what spoiled means to others out there, then so be it. We're all spoiled by some standard or other out there, just depends on who you're with. Look at it this way, at my age, pretty much every other kid in my grade has a (new-ish) car in my area. I don't go to some crazy good district, but it's the best in my corner of the state. That's $12-$30k right there. Mostly for nothing, as gifts. Sure, there are a few that actually worked for it, but I highly doubt that more than a small percentage of those kids actually earned that much money doing minimum wage. My audio gear adds up to what... $1,200 if that? It's nothing. And to be clear, my parents DON'T intend on buying me a car. 

Also throwing this out there, I am going to a better college to a more "money saturated" major than 90% of kids in my school. The higher quality education should lead to a higher salary. The extra money I would make from my parents offering me that extra "push" would be going back to them or to my future generation, graduating debt free gives me a lot more options on giving back than falling into a pit immediately after graduation.

EDIT: Ishcabible: You're not a minority. I have a friend just like that. He doesn't like "taking" from his parents, but his doctor dad landed him a $16+/hour minimal effort job at his own practice. That kind of stuff looks amazing on resumes and helps out so much for future internships etc. He does nothing there besides screw around with his friends and look at X-Rays. That's $80 a day sometimes for standing around and gaining experience for his own future profession.

Back to audio: Are high end customs worth getting? Or should I sell off some gear and try out the HE-500 instead?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #837 of 1,284
Quote:

Grade: 8th

Equipment: Phillips Cityscape Uptowns
JVC HA-S500z (Favorite ATM)
Razer Carcharias
Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox
Digizoid ZO2.3
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers (For my PC)
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Creative X-Fi Go! Pro
Monoprice 8320s x2
Phillips 3580
Rosewill RHTS-12004
Meelectronics M31
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs with Alpha pads (Ordering at the end of the month)

What dou you think of the Uptowns? are they any good? personally i didn´t like my downtowns so i am doubting every buying a Uptown....

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #838 of 1,284
What dou you think of the Uptowns? are they any good? personally i didn´t like my downtowns so i am doubting every buying a Uptown....
They sound muffled without an amp IMHO, I'm trying to sell mine ATM... :wink:

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #839 of 1,284
Oh, and also, I've actually earned all of my money for my gear or got it for birthdays/Christmas... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back