Who here is a high school audiophile?
Jan 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #796 of 1,284

Grade: 10th

Equipment: 
Sennheiser HD558, Koss TBSE, Sony MDR-V6, Koss PortaPro 
IEM: SHE9000, SHE3582
iPod 2G

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #798 of 1,284
Doesn't it annoy you whenever people listen to their music at such high volumes. Seriously, quality not quantity. Also everyone is like the new earpods are so good. But those wimpy earpods can't match up to my Shures. 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #799 of 1,284
I was walking back from a corner store, and I swear I heard a car stereo. But no; it was some one listening to headphones walking down the lane; I'm talking a good 30 feet from me and I could hear the music. The headphones were ON his head.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #800 of 1,284
Quote:
Doesn't it annoy you whenever people listen to their music at such high volumes. Seriously, quality not quantity. Also everyone is like the new earpods are so good. But those wimpy earpods can't match up to my Shures. 
deadhorse.gif

Quote:
I was walking back from a corner store, and I swear I heard a car stereo. But no; it was some one listening to headphones walking down the lane; I'm talking a good 30 feet from me and I could hear the music. The headphones were ON his head.

well the earpods are 'good' compared to the old ibuds. but when we bring in the real heaphones.... there is no contest.
and headphones as loud as car stereo? i wonder how many dozen percent of his hearing capacity he has lost already
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #801 of 1,284
Quote:
well the earpods are 'good' compared to the old ibuds. but when we bring in the real heaphones.... there is no contest.
and headphones as loud as car stereo? i wonder how many dozen percent of his hearing capacity he has lost already
blink.gif

So much people are losing their hearing, I bet that audiologists will make so much money. Also unfortuently you can't reflow those ear hair cells.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #802 of 1,284
Quote:
So much people are losing their hearing, I bet that audiologists will make so much money. Also unfortuently you can't reflow those ear hair cells.

if we could repair the ear hair cells then it would be as severe of a problem as a tummy ache/fever/cough.
hazardous listening is really more dangerous than what the general population thinks... and education efforts should be done about it

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #803 of 1,284
I swear band directors and band members need earplugs (I use firearm earplugs) because a single trombone is 90 db. I think that there should be legislation on volume limits, I heard in Europe the iPod touch can't play louder than 100 db, that's still loud but better than U.S. which can do 115 db. People need to know louder isn't prouder, its just being more of a jerk. If we didn't have the loudness wars we may have a generation with better hearing. Also I noticed that I wrote reflow instead of regrow.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #804 of 1,284
Seventeen years old, High School Senior.

Had the Sennheiser HD 650s (sold), upgraded to HD 700s, and am hoping to upgrade to HD 800s.
Raised $ from selling stuff on eBay
Good to see "younger people" on this forum, thought I was the only one :)

Have the O2 Amp+ODAC (on sale also)

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #805 of 1,284
I'm 17 and a Junior, currently rocking Amperiors and an E11 connected to an Ipod touch 4g via lod.

My stuff is purchased through saving hundreds of dollars in Amazon gift cards (it's basically all I ask for for XMas and Birthday time).

I've got a couple audiophile friends, but have yet to try out their rigs (Denon D2k, Akg k701, e7/e9 combo, etc.), but I have tried an AKG K167 that one of them owns, and it is certainly the opposite sounding to my Amperiors, but not in a bad way by all means.

Edit: nice pic jkxs

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #806 of 1,284
Quote:
I'm 17 and a Junior, currently rocking Amperiors and an E11 connected to an Ipod touch 4g via lod.

My stuff is purchased through saving hundreds of dollars in Amazon gift cards (it's basically all I ask for for XMas and Birthday time).

I've got a couple audiophile friends, but have yet to try out their rigs (Denon D2k, Akg k701, e7/e9 combo, etc.), but I have tried an AKG K167 that one of them owns, and it is certainly the opposite sounding to my Amperiors, but not in a bad way by all means.

Edit: nice pic jkxs

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to switch it to Pascal from Tangled!

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #808 of 1,284
Just 18 here

High School Senior

Gear:
Beyer DT770 Pro - Soon to be sold
Hifiman He-400 - Soon to be sold
Westone 4 - Soon to be (unfortunately) sold
JDS Labs C421 - Soon to be sold
Asus Xonar STX - This thing's beautiful
ATH M50 - So overrated, soon to be sold

Selling all of my stuffs for a UM Miracle, knowing myself, I'll probably get them lost or stolen before Senior year ends.

To all those younger teenagers in the states wondering how to get the money without (really) working: Make a bet with your parents on your SAT score. Do a tiny bit of research and show them that score increases of 100 points (out of 1600) will entirely change the game and may get you accepted into that "good" college they always nag you about, fetch thousands $$s of scholarships, or both. Seriously, for 95% of colleges here in the states, all colleges look at is class rank, gpa, and SAT scores. That test which is dreaded by so many is your one chance to stand out and above the rest in just one afternoon's time. Anyone can get a fairly impressive 3.7+ GPA in high school depending on their classes, but if you get a 1400 on Math and Reading, almost guaranteed admission into most public universities out there, and will be in the lower range of the more competitive ones.

To parents wondering if I'm spoiled: No. Well, actually just a bit. It's a family tradition (more of an Asian tradition) to send their kid to the best college that they can get into. So naturally, they're willing to bribe me to do better. It's a double win, your kid gets cash and becomes a more competitive student for colleges, and you save more money in the long run, and can brag that your kid got X on the SAT or got into XX university. Offer your kid money to study for the SAT, and increasing amounts depending on how well he does.

Source: Never worked a day in my life. I earned around $1,000 from my parents for doing well on the SAT. Their investment paid off as I got into a top 50 with a seriously pathetic GPA, along with a massive scholarship. It can be mostly accredited to my SAT score, without it, I wouldn't even have been considered.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #810 of 1,284
Quote:
Just 18 here

High School Senior

Gear:
Beyer DT770 Pro - Soon to be sold
Hifiman He-400 - Soon to be sold
Westone 4 - Soon to be (unfortunately) sold
JDS Labs C421 - Soon to be sold
Asus Xonar STX - This thing's beautiful
ATH M50 - So overrated, soon to be sold

Selling all of my stuffs for a UM Miracle, knowing myself, I'll probably get them lost or stolen before Senior year ends.

To all those younger teenagers in the states wondering how to get the money without (really) working: Make a bet with your parents on your SAT score. Do a tiny bit of research and show them that score increases of 100 points (out of 1600) will entirely change the game and may get you accepted into that "good" college they always nag you about, fetch thousands $$s of scholarships, or both. Seriously, for 95% of colleges here in the states, all colleges look at is class rank, gpa, and SAT scores. That test which is dreaded by so many is your one chance to stand out and above the rest in just one afternoon's time. Anyone can get a fairly impressive 3.7+ GPA in high school depending on their classes, but if you get a 1400 on Math and Reading, almost guaranteed admission into most public universities out there, and will be in the lower range of the more competitive ones.

To parents wondering if I'm spoiled: No. Well, actually just a bit. It's a family tradition (more of an Asian tradition) to send their kid to the best college that they can get into. So naturally, they're willing to bribe me to do better. It's a double win, your kid gets cash and becomes a more competitive student for colleges, and you save more money in the long run, and can brag that your kid got X on the SAT or got into XX university. Offer your kid money to study for the SAT, and increasing amounts depending on how well he does.

Source: Never worked a day in my life. I earned around $1,000 from my parents for doing well on the SAT. Their investment paid off as I got into a top 50 with a seriously pathetic GPA, along with a massive scholarship. It can be mostly accredited to my SAT score, without it, I wouldn't even have been considered.

If you will indulge me, what University did you get accepted to, and with what GPA (weighted/unweighted) and SAT score (out of 2400)? Your post seems to be misleading, mainly because you say you had a low GPA, but as an Asian myself, I know that standards are completely different. Is your high school one of the top in the nation, do you have legacy/connections, or have you perhaps accomplished something extraordinary (Intel?). If you would be willing to explain a bit, please PM me, or respond to this post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back