Who had/has more fun,Today's kids or kids from the 60's, 70's
Oct 24, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I feel the same way, but I'm not even old enough to buy a beer! Right now U.S. children are treated more like machines then people, with people only considering the future earning ability or lack thereof.

I had to quote this because it's so precisely right. Society wants nothing from you but for you to be successful, and if you aren't successful you are quite simply ignored, trampled, and spat upon. If you do not have the qualities that society deems worthy then you do not deserve happiness, or food, or shelter. If you do not have the qualities that society deems usefull then you do not deserve a beautiful wife, or happy life, or anything that makes people smile.

I know this is true, I read it on the Newstands and see it on the TVs.

If you don't serve your purpose you are laughed at, ridiculed, and generally left to die of disease and starvation in the streets of some horribly overpopulated city.

That why parents act the way they do around their children, they have to act that way in order to ensure that their children never stray FROM WHAT SOCIETY DEEMS USEFUL.

The whole system at large has wound itself so tightly that the people inside are beginning to find it harder to breath, harder to understand, and almost impossible to be comfortable with.

Perhaps it isn't capitalism per-se, though it is fataly flawed, more likely it's just another repetition of human greed and shortsightedness so severe that every hedonistic act it sets out upon is a negation of it's future well-being.

Perhaps the greatest irony of it all is that all these grabbers, these tyrants, who manipulate and abuse the natural world and the people for their own pathetic ends, they have all been toppled and brought down and made to suffer greatly in their fall. But, thats not the irony, thats not the natural justice of the thing, the trully fascinating aspect is that tyrants always die for nothing, tyrants that follow fallen tyrants never learn from each other, they follow each other into the same gaping maw of failure and pain that haunts the entire history of dictators, supreme rulers, and presidents of the world.

Rise and fall, rise and fall, rise and fall, the only things that stay the same are the things that never were.

I have realised this is what religion is for, so the tyrants can convince themselves that the mighty hand they reign with is governed by a holy force beyond their own. To me that is the greatest trick they perpetrate on themselves, the supreme irony; that in the end, on their deathbeds, when all should be reconciled and made good with the world, there will but nothing... For alas, the gods themselves never were but a figment of their own imaginations.

Oct 25, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

We had the best TV shows as well,remember Bewitched,Speed Racer,The Brady Bunch,Batman,The Green Hornet, reruns of The Little Rascals,The Three Stooges,. remember when Star Trek was a new show? I did'nt watch much TV but the stuff I watched was great.

Thanks for memories guys.

My DVD shelf is starting to look like a shrine to 60s television. Star Trek, the Outer Limits...and don't forget The Monkees!

The early 70s were another great TV era.

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #63 of 68
I wanted to make this short reply before I left to play football (yes, at 11:15 PM).

This thread kicks major butt.
I was born in '87
I was converted to one of those electronic hounds... I want to turn back to the good ol' days ^_^

Step by step... piece by pi-- *TACKLED*

Oct 26, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #64 of 68
Interesting. I think if you asked a 35-year old (original poster's age) in 1970 if they had more fun when they were kids, I bet they'd say "yes, it was better when I was a kid." I think most people believe this by the time they reach their 30's (if not earlier, apparently).

However, right now might actually be a time when it's actually true. I certainly remember snowball fights, all kinds of running around outside every evening, never wearing a bike helmet, and stuff like that. I remember the Atari 2600 when it first came out and how cool that was, too, but I never really got into video games, and even now I still don't care for them. Whiffle ball in the backyard was much more fun.

But at the same time, I remember losing a friend to a car crash. Probably 1975, nobody in the car buckled up. Parents went through the windshield, he slammed into the back of the front seats. He actually survived, and his dad did, too, but dad seriously injured and unable to work. When the kid got out of the hospital, permanently disfigured, he had to move away to live with Grandma because dad, being a real 1970s man, had no idea how to care for a child. I never saw my friend again.

So while lots of this stuff is a sad loss and kids today are almost certainly overprotected, safer cars and carseats may sound like "The Man" getting you down, they're a lot less of a drag than losing a good friend to a car crash that today would be essentially a fender-bender: airbags depoly, parents OK, kid strapped in back completely unharmed. Kids need to get bumps and scrapes and occasional broken bones, you bet, but cars are not toys.

But man, have they really banned snowball fights at recess in elementary schools? That's a total tragedy...
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #65 of 68
yupp...kids my age these days (i sound like an old man) are stuck infront of video games, tvs, computers, $20 target cd players, and headphones (maybe not
very_evil_smiley.gif
)...
i rarely go out and have fun in nature anymore, everything else is just plain boring except for higi-tech stuffs...
and most people these days (NOT ME!!) are just too lazy to go out and hunt for girls...they just site there in front of their internet-box and watch **** all day
biggrin.gif

*reading my own post...o man do i sound like a old man
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er

and most people these days (NOT ME!!) are just too lazy to go out and hunt for girls...they just site there in front of their internet-box and watch **** all day
biggrin.gif

We don't watch it ALL day!
wink.gif

Seriously, though, **** has always been accessible to the horny. Ask Tuberoller...

On a less immature note, if Head-Fi is around in ten years, we should post this thread again. It'll be interesting to see how the people who are today's kids say things were better in their day... that's how it always is. Heck, I do it myself - Back in the good old days of 6th grade, my school's shop had a wire-fenced in room at the back, full to the brim of old surplus electronics gear - ancient scopes, even tubed audio signal generator. Hell, they let use an ARC WELDER... Then they got rid of all of it...
mad.gif

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #67 of 68
It’s a bit of a complicated question or answer but I will side with kids from the older generation.

From my observation, many kids today do not know how to ride a bike (at least here in America]. Many kids are overweight and out of shape. I do believe that physical activity puts humans in a better mood.

Also, we live in a digital age where kids are addicted to screens (computer devices). Studies have shown that prolonged exposure can give a sense of dissatisfaction in life when exposed for long periods. I also believe more kids are loners because of digital devices.

I’ve seen kids who had the ability at being good at playing music give up theIr music studies because they would rather play with their iPhone and video games and examples like these can lead to a decline of individual creativity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back