Who had/has more fun,Today's kids or kids from the 60's, 70's
Oct 22, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 68
JMT: *grin* We called these "Bonanza bikes" over here - I had one, too, very basic, orange coloured and with straight tubes in the frame. It didn't have any gears to shift, but curve handling was unsurpassed. I also liked my ketcar - especially when my friend Rupert was pushing me through the village...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
A further sign of societal deterioration: My school "banned" certain bands. Among them: Coldplay. Yes, Coldplay.

What? How can a school "ban" certain bands? And why ban coldplay? I can't think of a single song of theirs that even has an edge, let alone anything even remotely potentially offensive. Someone needs to take your adminsitrators to a Cradle of Filth show
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #33 of 68
I'm a child of the 80's, the beginning of the end. Boy did I ever have fun back then, mass snowball fights every recess & lunch hour in the winter, playing soccer, baseball, and red ass among other ball games in the fall & spring, and just being outside almost every day having a great time. We rode our bikes around the block and crashed trying to jump curbs and doing other stupid stunts, there was even a nice hump in a field where we'd all try to fly our bikes but usually end up crashing.

We'd climb trees, jump off swings, play king of the hill on those big snow piles on dead end streets, and if we the weather was bad we'd take take our toys apart or try to build slingshots and other improvised weapons. There was also a small grove of crab apple trees by our school and while waiting for the snow to fall we'd have apple fights with each other.

Pickup games of baseball and football took place every weekend, and once we all got sticks we also had pickup games of street hockey. Yes, we took a couple slapshots at parked cars too if you must know, oops I missed!
evil_smiley.gif
We all have scars from our various misadventures but no one ever got crippled or anything. Best part was we figured out how to climb the school walls so we could snag all the tennis balls that the other students had roofed, god they hated us for that!

Anyways, I can't imagine growing up as a kid today. Snowball fights are banned, playfighting gets you suspended, and everything that's fun seems to be outlawed. God it must suck, no wonder kids are all psycho these days, I'd lose it too if I were deprived of all my fun. To the good old days....

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #34 of 68
my old elementry school has this 50 degree downward slope that goes down for 50ish feet that everyone use to roll/bike/whatever down at insane speeds. i wonder if they ever fenced that off. everyone that rolled down it would bruise, but it was fun as hell.
other than that, kids today are growing up behind PS2's and spongebob on tv. my cousins arent that bad, but they still slack a bit.

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #35 of 68
oh, anyone remember when carbon copy paper was the ****'?
some kid good at art would snag some from the school's office and make some badass drawing, and then pass the copies out to other kids.

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #36 of 68
Hmm... Well, nostalgia's all fine and good, but...

See, I think that as a kid, it's possible to have a heck of a lot more fun than back then. Case in point - the internet. Multiplayer computer games, ****, Head-fi (I actually had this conversation with Kevin Gilmore, when he said I had much better gear than he did at that age - I reminded him that he didn't have you guys to stoke the fires of upgraditis), ****, and all the information on anything you could want. (fireworks? No problemo.) Oh, and did I mention ****?

biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, the whole commercialization thing (video games, commercials) makes it a lot harder... one reason why I never, ever, ever watch TV. Last time I sat in front of our TV was to watch "Spies Like Us".

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally by JMT: Just for old times sake:1969 Schwinn Apple Krate

WOW! Does that bring back memories! Mine was metalflake blue. I bought it with my paper route money. Mine might have been a an early year though, I don't think it had the spring on the front, but it was a five-speed. I do remember that I got one of those VRRRROOOOOM motors for it for Christmas. Man did it sound
cool.gif
!

Thanks JMT and Tuberoller for the great memories!
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #38 of 68
Just thought I'd add something to this conversation. Two kids actually got in trouble in my school for holding hands. There is no kind of romance or physical affection allowed.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
just to ask, what's the pullbar in the middle of the bike for?

Are you kidding
confused.gif
??????? Dude,That's the Shifter we are talkin' about. The famous nutbuster. You take a spill on that thing and your jewels were crunched, but it was stupid-cool.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
just to ask, what's the pullbar in the middle of the bike for?

It's a two-fer-one deal: gear shifter, with the added bonus of nutting you should you slam on the breaks and lurch forward. My folks live at the beach and there are tons of bike rentals that have bikes like that.
eek.gif

--Chris

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
our future looks rather grim. LETS ALL GO TO CANADA!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I don't know...they've outlawed snowball fights at school up here and they're handing out detentions & suspensions for it. Might be different in a more rural area but it ain't allowed where I live.
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #45 of 68
they're outlawing snowball fights!? THAT"S HALF THE FUN OF BEING A KID! Idiocy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back