Who folds@home?
Jul 6, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #46 of 59
I'm at 110/250 on another wu so that should finish tonight, I unfortunately can't really let it run 24/7 since my computer heats up my room way too much. I might be able to put it on a couple computers at work though... I'll find out tomorrow...

Jul 6, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #47 of 59
I can't leave my computer on all the time either, mainly because it sucks a lot of power and it is rather loud. I have been leaving it on for a few nights though and I might leave it on a bit more often. Plus, my power supply can barely handle the load of my computer so booting up sometimes doesn't work since the CPU doesn't get powered up and I have to turn the thing off and then back on a few times until it boots so leaving my PC on actually puts lets strain on the power supply and other components.

Jul 6, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #48 of 59
Just installed it; I used to fold for another team until I reformatted my computer, but now I'll fold for Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #49 of 59
Thanks to everyone who is currently folding, i joined Team Headfi.

But we are waiting for Jude to reply so we can make Team Head Fi official.

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #50 of 59
Got the okay from Jude for the web site and logo. Myself and MuZI are working on an announcement and it should be posted soon.

Jul 6, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #53 of 59
Jul 7, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #55 of 59
Ed, you're one crazy mofo, er, hampster. It takes dedication to modify your house for your computers
biggrin.gif

Myself, I plan on going with a waterblock when I build my system. Vaporchilling would be nice, but the $600 or so pricetag is just a bit much.

Hmm... I oughta post some pics of the ghetto mods on this computer. It wasn't cooling well enough, so I hacked the fan grille on the rear exhaust(not nearly enough perforations...) out so the fan had more breathing room, put a 5 1/4" drive bay cooler in the front (trio of 20mm fans... does a fair bit, actually, once you remove the dust filter), and finally, decided it needed more intake, so I cut a blowhole in the top for a 120mm beast. Had to mount it upside down so it'd suck instead of blow, which meant drilling holes for the screws... yes, it looks very, very ghetto. But it keeps the CPU around 40C on average. Better CPU cooler would be nice, too, but I don't really care. Just so long as I don't get the near-70C that I had last summer... lockups galore.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jul 7, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Here's pics of my heat exhaust system.

Yes, I actually did this originally for folding because the 100% CPU use was really heating my room up.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

eek.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #57 of 59
well, since we are posting pictures of our systems now... here are my duallies:

currently folding for Head-Fi:
dual 2.4Ghz 400FSB Xeon Overclocked to 22x133Mhz (2933Mhz):
PICT0051a.jpg

doing DPAD for 2CPU:
dual 1.83Ghz 2500+ Bartons Overclocked to 15x150Mhz (2250Mhz):
PICT0078.jpg

ya... the pictures are not that great since I took them a while ago and didn't bother about the quality. you can make out the computers though... and that is a pile of 15m lengths of CAT5e network cabling stacked on top of the dual xeon, they were cheap so I got a lot of them despite not needing the full length.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #58 of 59
I'm still deciding what to do with 3.5+ghz worth of cpu speed... no, seriously. i have a foothold in another forum, but i haven't been posting there in ages since it got boring. And yet, there's another forum, but i don't think i owe them anything. and then, we've got here........

we'll see. maybe i'll just leave my computer idling for the rest of the summer so i don't double our power bill
biggrin.gif

until then:
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #59 of 59
strogg...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
those are, without a doubt, the sweetest looking computers I've ever seen. And I've seen some nice 'uns. The caution/hazard/warning tags all over really are a nice touch
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back