Who folds@home?
Jul 3, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #31 of 59
I ran distributed.net for a couple of years. More recently it's been UD on various PCs. Just formed a team at work and gained a few recruits. I felt dnet had proved their point with RC5-64 and anything else was accademic. UD has more practical benefits, as do the folding and other projects. I do like the stats though so I'm concentrating on one project.

Stats at:

http://www.grid.org/stats/members/compare.htm?un2=Steev

--
Steve

Jul 3, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #33 of 59
RC5-64 was the original project to proved that level of encryption could be broken, but it did take a few years. The current RC5-72 looks like taking at least a hundred years even if PCs get much quicker. I partly gave up due to the lack of information from the project team. Most of them actually moved to UD and now get paid for it.

I just hate to see a PC sitting idle when it's switched on.

--
Steve

Jul 5, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 59
We're up to 3 members now. I know there's a few Head-Fi'ers that were interested in this the last time the topic was brought up, so if you're thinking that a Head-Fi Folding@Home team is a good idea then jump aboard
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #37 of 59
I'm doing a few WU for the Head-Fi team... but being that it is one p638_L939_K12M_ext (239 point tinker core) and three p212_villinURE212 (135 point gromac) work units I don't think I will have them done for another day or two. but when they are, 644 points will go towards the team.
biggrin.gif

so anyways, I have a dual 2.93Ghz xeon folding exclusively for Head-Fi right now... but most likely will have to switch back after this to doing DPAD for the 2CPU team since I have a bit of a competition going on there.

Jul 5, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I'm doing a few WU for the Head-Fi team... but being that it is one p638_L939_K12M_ext (239 point tinker core) and three p212_villinURE212 (135 point gromac) work units I don't think I will have them done for another day or two. but when they are, 644 points will go towards the team.
biggrin.gif

so anyways, I have a dual 2.93Ghz xeon folding exclusively for Head-Fi right now... but most likely will have to switch back after this to doing DPAD for the 2CPU team since I have a bit of a competition going on there.

Why not have one CPU for Head-Fi and the other for 2CPU?

Jul 5, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Why not have one CPU for Head-Fi and the other for 2CPU?

only one CPU? maybe... but I have prior obligations to my current team and all the projects I am in with them so not at the moment. but if you only want one CPU (you didn't specify which one) then I may use my 266Mhz PII laptop for Head-Fi and my dual 2.93Ghz xeon, dual 2.25Ghz athlonXP, and 3Ghz P4 CPUs for 2CPU.com... sounds good?

Jul 5, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
only one CPU? maybe... but I have prior obligations to my current team and all the projects I am in with them so not at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif
but if you only want one CPU (you didn't specify which one) then I may use my 266Mhz PII laptop for Head-Fi and my dual 2.93Ghz xeon, dual 2.25Ghz athlonXP, and 3Ghz P4 CPUs for 2CPU.com... sounds good?

If you go the other way with that, I'll be happy...

Jul 5, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
If you go the other way with that, I'll be happy...

hmmm... maybe if I have some competition?
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #45 of 59
Thanks to all those that have jumped aboard so far. The score for the team is over 1100 now. Everyone's contribution is important and appreciated, so even if you have some old Pentium III (was it really that long ago when these were new?) desktop clunker get it onboard since it will help
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back