Who else prefers the Etymotics over the Shures?
Jul 9, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #121 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee
I've always read reviews saying that the E4c was the best. 95% of the people in this thread are saying the ER4 sounds better. I was just about to buy the E4c but now I don't know.

Can you wrap the ER4 around your ear if you switch the phones around?

Why don't you get the E4 AND an iM716. Both the E4 and Ety sound rocks
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #122 of 182
You have to admit that the Etymotics look REALLY ugly compared to the Shures. Shures look so sleek and sexy as the Etymotics... well, they're the ugliest "earphones" you could get.

I would choose the E4c/g.

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #123 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
You have to admit that the Etymotics look REALLY ugly compared to the Shures. Shures look so sleek and sexy as the Etymotics... well, they're the ugliest "earphones" you could get.

i disagree. but i like industrial design so the ety's appeal to me. they are simple, and functional. what could be more beautiful?

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #124 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i disagree. but i like industrial design so the ety's appeal to me. they are simple, and functional. what could be more beautiful?

Plus they are so damned easy to put into my ears.

Jul 9, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #125 of 182
I switched from ER4S to E4c just two weeks ago and I'm already regretting it! The sound is noticeably less accurate and clear. Detail is also lacking. The E4c do sound fuller and richer though. Personally, I prefer the Etymotic sound signature. I don't think I'll go back to the ER4S simply because I think I should probably hold out until I can upgrade to the E5c or E500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong

Well, this is debatable. Although I do prefer Shure styling as opposed to the ER4-styled Etymotics, I don't think the Etymotic styling is ugly at all. It's just retro! I was never ashamed of wearing them outside, with its red 'n blue combo and dirty green cable stress-relievers, etc...

EDIT: I bet people loved the design when it was first introduced back in 1991!

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #128 of 182
ER4S is one earphone that gives me the best eargasm
etysmile.gif
.. Etymotics rules!!!

I have the Shure E5C instead of Er4S for portable because i do now wish to carry an amp outdoor, The ER4S simply sucks outdoor... If the ER4S is improve until less or no microphonic i would definately get the Xin supermini and dump the E5C..
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #129 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
I have the Shure E5C instead of Er4S for portable because i do now wish to carry an amp outdoor, The ER4S simply sucks outdoor... If the ER4S is improve until less or no microphonic i would definately get the Xin supermini and dump the E5C..
tongue.gif

I used to use the Shure E4 for the same reason, until I bought a pair of ER-6i's. Although they're the "lesser" Etymotics, I love them almost as much as my ER-4S's: they're very efficient and sound great ampless, and they are far less microphonic than the ER-4's. And I like their sound much more than the Shure E4's.

For on-the-go use I wear the ER-6i Shure-style, with the cords routed up and over my ears. There's a small trick to this: remove the shirt clip from below the Y-joint of the cables, and reattach it above the Y-joint. Now you can slide it up to snug the wires together - the same as you would with the Shure sliding sleeve - or down when you want to use it in shirt clip mode.

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #130 of 182
I prefer Ety-4s as compared to shure, Ety is more comfortable to wear and excellent detail, and the quality of phone is better than shure.

Jul 24, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #131 of 182
for me, i using iM716 in bass mode. im716 is made by Ety so i'n consider a Ety user... to me, im716 wen is E4 amp and sf5pro wif more details and heavier bass...

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #133 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by varunku
I prefer Ety-4s as compared to shure, Ety is more comfortable to wear and excellent detail

Actually, comfort depends on the tips. Comfort of Triflanges on E4c = Comfort of Triflanges on ER4P/S; Comfort of Comply Foamies on E4c = Comfort of Comply Foamies on ER4P/S. Those are all my personal experiences, which may differ from person to person.

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #134 of 182
I prefer Shures, but in reality I probably prefer what is described as the ety sound, too bad that I am unable to hear it. The only way to tame the ridiculous treble that I hear (they make my beyers sound like sennheisers right after I change between them) is to shove them very deep into the ear canal. As I happen to have quite a lot of ear wax, this will result in both some farily gross flanges and a possible wax build up. They also happen to give me an uncomfortable feeling of stuffed ears after use.

So why should I endure this when I could just grab my Shure E5s and get a balanced sound without the hassle? My only real complaintis that the Shures seem to have an odd somewhat harsh coloration in the highs, which might create a perception of more treble. I compared them against a PX100 a few days ago:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...are+Headphones

And in spite of what this graph says, I perceived the PX100 to be notably darker than the Shure. (I.e. perhaps not even in the same family of sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back