Who else builds Blue Hawaiis?
Sep 2, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #121 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might ask Rudi what stats he has tested with his amps since they don't all present the same load or have the same bias requirements (although w/ respect the bias most don't care all that much). It could very well be that his headphones are simply different enough to not cause the problem to manifest itself.

And shoot, that'd suck if the HE60s were damaged, I've loved them every time I've heard them.

I'm fairly sure he builds them based on the Omega2, but I can ask him to clarify.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #122 of 147
Have we ruled out problems with your source, cables and power?

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #123 of 147
I just got notification from Stax that there is nothing wrong with the Omega2 (I mailed it to them so they could check it out). In other words, two very expensive Rudistor amps were defective even after multiple repairs. I've never heard a single bad word about Rudi's dynamic amps, but something is seriously wrong with his electrostatic amps.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #125 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kt88 tubes should not be in an all triode amp.

nothing that costs more than $1000 should hiss louder than an jrc4556.

There actually wasn't a problem with hiss; the issue was fairly constant (every couple of minutes) drops in volume. It's a bummer, because the moments between dropouts were heavenly... the amp sounded amazing at these points.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #126 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard a single bad word about Rudi's dynamic amps, but something is seriously wrong with his electrostatic amps.

Really!? Not a single bad word?

EDIT: Oh, you're just talking reliability-wise I guess.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #128 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the problem occurred even when not using the Thor?

Yep, I tried every single option possible... different outlets in different rooms, different power cords, balanced input, single-ended input, etc. The only remaining possibility was that the headphones were damaged. This possibility has been put to rest, as Stax says the headphones are in perfect condition. There is some flaw in the Egmont/Coriolan design, as these were two different amps (based on a similar design, with the Coriolan basically being an upgraded version) that were "repaired" multiple times.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #129 of 147
There is a known design issue with all Egmont amps (the new one uses the same circuit for double the price) on top of the horrible build quality of all Rudistor amps. Lets just say that there is a reason why Rudi didn't want you to open up the amp and post the pictures here. That happened with the portable amp and half the forum almost died laughing. I really hope that you can get your money back and buy something better like the new Woo amp when it is released.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #130 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a known design issue with all Egmont amps (the new one uses the same circuit for double the price) on top of the horrible build quality of all Rudistor amps. Lets just say that there is a reason why Rudi didn't want you to open up the amp and post the pictures here. That happened with the portable amp and half the forum almost died laughing. I really hope that you can get your money back and buy something better like the new Woo amp when it is released.

Thankfully I received all the money back; Rudi was actually very quick in refunding me, I'll give him that.

The thing that is really suspicious is that Rudi was really nice and easy to deal with up to the point that I told him someone on Head-Fi had volunteered to let me borrow their Stax cans to see if damaged headphones were the issue. He freaked out and basically said "If you do any more tests, you won't get a refund." This was very out of character; I'm starting to think that he knows more about this problem than he was willing to let on.

The Woo is certainly under consideration, but I'm pretty much leaning in favor of the new Ray Samuels amp. His stuff is built like a tank; after all the stuff I've gone through, reliability is a huge selling point.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #131 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thankfully I received all the money back; Rudi was actually very quick in refunding me, I'll give him that.

The thing that is really suspicious is that Rudi was really nice and easy to deal with up to the point that I told him someone on Head-Fi had volunteered to let me borrow their Stax cans to see if damaged headphones were the issue. He freaked out and basically said "If you do any more tests, you won't get a refund." This was very out of character; I'm starting to think that he knows more about this problem than he was willing to let on.

The Woo is certainly under consideration, but I'm pretty much leaning in favor of the new Ray Samuels amp. His stuff is built like a tank; after all the stuff I've gone through, reliability is a huge selling point.

I'll be reviewing the A-10 for Ray when it is ready, and I suspect it will be a real winner (and tank) too. I'll be able to compare it to my Woo GES Maxed and an SRD-7 Pro/Speaker Amp, and maybe Sherwood's SRM-T1 if he still has it then and is willing. (Both of my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro have been sold)

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #132 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be reviewing the A-10 for Ray when it is ready, and I suspect it will be a real winner (and tank) too. I'll be able to compare it to my Woo GES Maxed and an SRD-7 Pro/Speaker Amp, and maybe Sherwood's SRM-T1 if he still has it then and is willing. (Both of my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro have been sold)

Sounds like the A-10 should be a real "tank killer"(Bonus).
icon10.gif

I wonder if Ray will have that at the upcoming ChiUnify meet?
Look forward to your review.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #133 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

I'm not sure it will be ready yet - he is populating the first boards, and sending one out to get the prototype case made.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #134 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Hopefully!
I am looking forward for the release as well. Especially since I back in 2006 started a thread about a possible RSA electrostatic amplifier, where Ray answered that electrostatics are not of his taste.

Hence I am curios what made him change his mind (if he did), and what he have been able to design.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #135 of 147
I bet he got tons of emails complaining the BH was the only real stat amp option, with peeps here saying the Woo GES is underpowered (not) and the SP ES-1 too hard to deal with mikhail's shipping delays and having power supply problems, and Rudistor, well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back