Who else builds Blue Hawaiis?
Aug 29, 2008 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I know HeadAmp does, but are there any other builders? I've been searching the web and can't find anyone else, which seems weird what with it being public domain and having such a great reputation.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might be able to commission a DIY-er to build you one?

That's kind of what I was thinking
biggrin.gif

My only concern is that I end up dropping a few grand and something goes wrong... what typically happens with DIY amps if the builder goes AWOL?

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also as with all high voltage tube amps, well, they're dangerous so only select people choose to work with them.

Well, if the result of their death is a nice sounding amp...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 147
what happened to the Rudistor Coriolan 2?

imho it is going to be tough to find a qualified builder who can stand behind the amp. There are just not alot of people who have done this amp before and I would not want to buy one made from someone who was building this for the first time.

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 147
It would be great to have more KGBH builders.
Especially since HeadAmp have not put out a single KGBH in 1 1/2 years (afaik), since he started working on the KGBH SE.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 147
my guess is very few DIYers are willing to warantee the unit to a level that would be expected by someone commissioning a build. In my opinion, it's too great of a financial risk for me if I have to spend my time troubleshooting repairs.

I think jp's sentiment is right on too, as I would want to have a number of amps that had been running for a significant amount of time (minimum 1 year) before accepting a commission from someone not inside "the fold"... this meaning someone who I know to be a reasonable person and that I've worked with in the past.

Also,people seem to get bent out of shape when they see markup on DIY builds these days. I know first hand what the part cost is on these amps and I'd want to triple the cost.. and then there is labor. Usually people who are looking to commission a build are doing it because of lack of availability in the commercial market, to save money, or to save face and avoid doing business with a given company. All of these motives are fine, but I'm really only interested in working with people that want to do something different and in the process allow me to learn more and try new things.

Anyways, that my opinion on the matter
smily_headphones1.gif
Perhaps this thread should be in the "For Sale" section instead as a WTB? Seems like a pretty thinly veiled attempt to find a builder to me...

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what happened to the Rudistor Coriolan 2?

I'm having some recurring technical difficulties; Rudi is doing his best to help me work it out, and I plan on keeping the amp if things go well, but it's not looking good.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your only safe and best bet is headamp or should i say was...
tongue.gif

are you having second-thoughts?

If they'd already started shipping, yes, I'd be upset that I burned my bridges, but as things stand now, no.

I'm just bummed that there are three (IMO) top of the line stat amps, and two (Singlepower and HeadAmp) are a gamble on when you'll get them; Rudistor's stuff sounds incredible, but I've been having problems with the amp.

What's the scoop on Woo's stat amp? I've got to admit that I'm one of those people who worry about quality on lower priced amps; the best amps I've heard tend to be really expensive, and the Woo is priced pretty reasonably.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps this thread should be in the "For Sale" section instead as a WTB? Seems like a pretty thinly veiled attempt to find a builder to me...

Nope, Rudi's going to give me a full refund if we aren't able to nail down the problem. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but at this point I've pretty much lost hope.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having some recurring technical difficulties; Rudi is doing his best to help me work it out, and I plan on keeping the amp if things go well, but it's not looking good.

that is a shame I hope it works out for you

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 147
I think the Woo amp from a build quality is outstanding having listened to it at a friends house. I would recommend it for all stax headphones except the omegas. It is a great match for the 4070. It appears to be a step up from the 007t as well. Jack's reputation is impeccable as well.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 147
Quote:

My only concern is that I end up dropping a few grand and something goes wrong... what typically happens with DIY amps if the builder goes AWOL?

That right there is why most would choose to go with an established company like HeadAmp... Quote:

That's too bad.
frown.gif

Any details on this?

FWIW, not being a big electrostatic guy myself, I thought the Woo amps looked and sounded excellent at CanJam.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back