1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Who coined the phrase, Justice is blind?

1. kool bubba ice
    Cause it truly isn't... People who are well connected can attest to that.

2. Moontan13
    It's an ideal, something to strive for.
    Having money is a benefit when navigating the legal world. It doesn't mean that those with money have an advantage, it means they aren't as dis-advantaged. After all, the government has more resources than any rich guy.

3. vixr
    my ex-wifes lawyer...

4. Uncle Erik Contributor
    I don't know, but she wasn't blindfolded in the lobby of my law school:

lady2.jpg

5. DLeeWebb Contributor
    She's not blindfolded on the top of the courthouse in my hometown either. Apparently this isn't uncommon...From Wikipedia:

Lady Justice is often depicted wearing a blindfold. This is done in order to indicate that justice is (or should be) meted out objectively, without fear or favor, regardless of identity, money, power, or weakness: blind justice and blindimpartiality. The earliest Roman coins depicted Justitia with the sword in one hand and the scale in the other, but with her eyes uncovered.[3] Justitia was only commonly represented as "blind" since about the end of the fifteenth century. The first known representation of blind Justice is Hans Gieng's 1543 statue on the Gerechtigkeitsbrunnen (Fountain of Justice) in Berne.[4]

The blindfold raises some common questions:

Instead of using the Janus approach, many sculptures simply leave out the blindfold altogether. For example, atop the Old Bailey courthouse in London, a statue of Lady Justice stands without a blindfold;[6] the courthouse brochures explain that this is because Lady Justice was originally not blindfolded, and because her “maidenly form” is supposed to guarantee her impartiality which renders the blindfold redundant.

6. 9pintube
    Hell, All this time I thought it was Perry Mason's famous line.....(I know always a funny man...)[​IMG]