Who can rewire my PK3s earphones?
Sep 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jimbodinny

Head-Fier
After a few months my PK3 stopped working. I tired to install a new plug myself, but only lasted for another couple of months. Is there anywhere I can send them to rewire them completely? Thanks.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Contact Craig @ Whiplash Audio.  I believe he was working on recabling these with TWag silver wire.  He can be reached at csanborn@whiplashaudio.com.

TWag is expensive material but it's (in my opinion) the best sounding cable out there today and I have heard quite a few of them.  Other vendors may be able to help you out as well, but Craig is the only one I know of at present.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 10
No, sorry.  This would be a custom order and only Craig can quote you and the best way to do that is via email.  It won't be cheap for sure, but the sound improvements are going to be substantial.

My first TWag experience was about a year ago when I recabled my TF10s and my jaw literally dropped to the floor it seemed.  I have not listened to PK1s, so I can't give you specifics, but Craig could.  He doesn't do mods unless he believes his work adds significant value.  Very honest man, period.  

I have spent a lot of money on his stuff and it's money well spent, IMHO.  Check out the Whiplash Audio vendor forum's TWag thread to get some more impressions from other customers, not just mine.

At any rate, good luck, I hope you'll find what you're looking for.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Let me give you a different opinion. Cables have no effect on sound whatsoever. A cable is for moving electrons, and a coat hanger will work as well as your 99.999% oxygen free silver - not to mention the fact that your silver wire will cost more than the pk3 itself.

Instead just go ahead and solder on a right angle 3.5mm plug to replace your old one. It'll will cost you only a few dollars, and be more durable than straight plugs. Problem solved. If you can't work a soldering iron, do you have any friends that can? Most people wouldn't mind - the "job" won't take more than minute or two.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 10
In the audiophile world the quality of every component and subcomponent--including the interconnects--matters.  Opinions may differ but the importance of actual listening experience of the subject matter wins every time.  I suggest you try to attend a meet or two to test your theory.

The OP was about rewiring the PK1, not just replacing the plug.

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Let me give you a different opinion. Cables have no effect on sound whatsoever. A cable is for moving electrons, and a coat hanger will work as well as your 99.999% oxygen free silver - not to mention the fact that your silver wire will cost more than the pk3 itself.

Instead just go ahead and solder on a right angle 3.5mm plug to replace your old one. It'll will cost you only a few dollars, and be more durable than straight plugs. Problem solved. If you can't work a soldering iron, do you have any friends that can? Most people wouldn't mind - the "job" won't take more than minute or two.

You don't understand the issue here. Yuins have a crappy cable that breaks very easily regardless of the plug.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 10
^In which case paying for a complete recable would still cost more than the earbuds themselves did. Either way, it's not worth it.

Edit: If the "crappy cable that breaks very easily" is in anyway indicative of general build quality, the op is likely better off just scrapping the pk3 and getting something that's built to a higher standard. ClieOS recently reviewed some sennheiser buds which compete well with the pk3, and at a lower price. Check those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back