Who are some good female artists???
Feb 12, 2005 at 11:17 AM Post #46 of 88
Ruby - very soulful, musically a blend of trip hop, neo-industrial pop

Siobhan de Maré of Mono - She sings all the tracks on their one and only release "Life in Mono"

Jane Jensen - "Comic book Whore" was very good and plain fun album that should have got more attention then it got. "Love Song to Your Boyfriend" being a standout track.

Alison Goldfrapp - "Felt Mountain" sealed the deal for me on Alison.

Jennifer Charles - of Lovage & Elysian Fields

Julie Cruise - a bit of an one trick pony but still a good listen.

Lauryn Hill - ok nothing since 98 except for a live album.

Beth Gibbons - already mentioned but worth repeating.

Alicia Keys

Andrea Parker

Mary J Blige

Ann Magnuson - specifically here work on the always irreverent Bongwater.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #47 of 88
The group Team Dresch is made up of all women and they rock very hard thier two albums; Captain my Captain and Personal Best are both awsome.
Mirah from the group Mirah has a very good voice that come accross great through headphones. Her albums Advisory Commity and C'mon Miracle are both very nice.
The Group X-ray Spex lead singer Poly Styrine for many people with be a little too abrasive. I on the other hand find what she does with her voice amazing. When my girlfriend at the time played them for me I couldn't tell what language she was singing in. It turned out however, to be english. you might want to give them a listen on like amazon before pick up thier only album.
Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billy Holiday are all amazing Jazz singers and will probably be an amazing experience for you.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #48 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Try MISIA, Kuraki Mai, Shiina Ringo, Sakamoto Maaya, Ueto Aya, Amuro Namie and Utada Hikaru for starters.

I would definitely recommend Shiina Ringo. Two days ago I got Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana by her, and it is incredibly good.

Check it out.

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #49 of 88
I just posted this list in a very similar thread

Quote:

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sure some of these have been mentioned already. I promise you will not like all of these, so research them first.

Portishead
Lamb
Cat Power
Morcheeba
Hooverphonic
Ruby
Broadcast
Cardigans
Dido
Jem
Carina Round
Cranes
Distillers (not for everyone)
Elastica
Goldfrapp
Hybrid (Julie Cruz sings on Wide Angle)
Jack Off Jill
Kills
Yeah Yeah Yeah's
Kidney Thieves
Laika
Lhooq
Lucia
Metric
Moa
Nina Gordon
PJ Harvey
Poe
Radio Iodine
Sahara Hotnights
Skindive
Le Tigre
Snowy
Solex
Black Box Recorder
Spalding Rockwell
Supreme Beings of Leisure

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #51 of 88
Man, I was a little surprised it took so long to mention Eva Cassidy. Incredibly talented, across a range of styles. "How Can I Keep From Singing" sends chills up my spine every time I hear it.

Also, HEather Nova is a deep fave, too. Pure emotion in her music, if sometimes a little "conjured." she is lovely as well.

As for unnamed-to-date suggestions:

- Kate Price (for fans of Loreena McKennitt; especially "Isle Of Dreaming")
- Eleanor McEvoy - "Yola" - great recording, great songwriting
- Mary Black - some traditional Irish, then more folky
- Frances Black - Mary's siser; light jazzy pop tunes and ballads
- Tift Merrit - "Tambourine" is better of her two IMO; little bit country
- October Project (self-titled) or Mary Fahl (ex-lead singer of OP); awesome haunting moody pop (OP), mix of types (MF)
- Beth Nielsen Chapman - especially "Sand And Water" (good not great voice, but incredible soongwriting; made after her husband died from cancer, it'll bring tears)
- Propaganda/Act/Claudia Brucken - more 80's techno and then leaning to dance, but good stuff
- Dar Williams - fun modern folk

That's all off the top of my head and with a brief glance to some CD's I have out....thanks for the great suggestions otherwise, too; I'll definitely check some out.

Jan 15, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #52 of 88
Kerri Noble (compared to Norah Jones)
Happy Rhodes (compared to Kate Bush and Loreena McKennitt)
Lili Haydn
Nikka Costa

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #53 of 88
Though Shena Ringo is probably one of my favorite artists, her voice is very... love it or hate it, very much on the shrill side. Another artist that I would heartedly recommend is UA, she is amazing. As much as, or maybe even more so then Shena Ringo, she has a very soulful, smoky voice that is capable of evoking some great moods. Her music ranges from jazz to rock to reggae to trip hop to avant garde. Definitely give her a chance.

Catch you later,
Id

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #54 of 88
  1. sezen aksu
    miriam makeba
    cesaria evora
    mariza
    natacha atlas
    gigi
    dierdre
    ekova
    daughter darling
    desree
    lizz wright
    erykah badu
    heather headley
    janubia
    poe
    frou frou
    imogen heap
    gaelle
    lisa shaw
    lolo
    mandalay
    crustation
    etta james
    ella fitzgerald
    billie holiday
    angela mccluskey
    carla bruni
    emilie simon
    k.reen
    les nubians
    fiona apple
    asha bholse
    emma shapplin
    a girl called eddy
    esthero
    eternia
    feist
    lamya
    sophie ellis-bextor
    michelle branch
    bebel gilberto
    cibelle
    daniela mercury
    liliana chachian
    marisa monte
    zuco 103
    fernanda porto
    amel larrieux
    anita baker
    floetry
    goapele
    janet jackson
    jazzyfatnastees
    joss stone
    ledisi
    leela james
    mary j. blige
    whitney houston
    meshell ndegeocello
    mystic
    res
    rhian benson
    sade
    SWV
    Toi
    vivian green
    susheela raman
    sevara nazarkhan
    nez
    ursula rucker
    nina miranda
    mala rodriguez
    lila downs
    lhasa
    india arie
    la india
    celia cruz
    tanya bulanova
    free dominguez
    cree summer
    sister nancy
    lady saw
    jane birkin
    kasia kowalska
    ani lorak
    ruslana
    francoise hardy
    brownstone
    zhane

if you live in the u.s. then some of these artists may be foreign to you fyi

etc etc etc etc etc...blah blah blah
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #56 of 88
Gillian Welch - 'Time (The Revelator)' an incredible song, and album too. But really, this is a great song. Ton of other suggestions come to mind but a couple are:
Laika - 'Silver Apples of the Moon'
Freakwater - esp. 'Dancing Underwater' for me. Great duo harmony, sorta alt-country...dark though.
Staple Family Singers - gospel that'll rock your socks
...Jolie Holland, Nina Simone, Fiona Apple (Jon Brion version of 'Extraordinary Machine'), The Raincoats, Fleetwood Mac !, Kate Bush, Joan Armatrading, etc.

edit: second to Jane Birkin and Francois Hardy. Big nod to Yo La Tengo.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #57 of 88
My favs:

Sam Phillips
Lucinda Williams
Neko Case
Kim Richey
Mary McCaslin
Aimee Mann
The Breeders
Jarboe from Swans
Scrawl
The Distillers
Gillian Welch
The Gits (RIP Mia Zapata)
Liz Phair
Loretta Lynn
Nico
Patsy Cline
Pretty Girls Make Graves
The Raincoats
Sleater-Kinney

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #58 of 88
Not much too add that hasn't already been mentioned but if you can take something a little sugary, Jem has some very strong tracks. (And some weak ones, but IMHO the strong makes up for the weak.)

Jan 15, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #59 of 88
Natalie Imbruglia

I haven't seen her mentioned yet. Strong voice, she contributed a stunning track to the movie "Stigmata" and has put out quite a few albums.

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #60 of 88
Even after you folks' big name-hunt there are a few who managed to sneak pass. I'll confine myself to singers in (primarily) the English language:

But first: another big hand for Loreena McKennitt; she simply is the pride of the humankind
tongue.gif

OK folks:

Connie Dover -- a singer with a strong, sonorus voice. She is primarily interested in the relationship between songs of the Scots-Irish tradition and early folk songs of America. She best album is her first Somebody and her latest The Borders of Heaven

Karan Casey -- once the front-lady of the Irish-American band Solas, now she enjoys a successful solo career. She has an unique voice that is at once waif-like and assertive, and especially excels in protest songs. Her solo debut Songlines is just stunning.

Karen Matheson-- another front-lady of a trad band, this time the Scottish institution Capercaillie. She has a melodic yet powerful voice. Although she has two solo albums so far, I think ther material there is a bit lack-lustre: better start with a Capercaillie album, especially the live set.

Cara Dillon -- beautiful fountain-clear tones from Ireland. She sings traditional Irish songs with a tasteful modern veneer.

June Tabor -- Quite simply the Queen of British folk music. Her husky voice is unimaginably expressive, conveying the irony, pathos and anger in every folk song she sings. Her stongest albums are Against the Streams, Aleyn and Angel Tiger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back