Who are some good female artists???
Feb 9, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #16 of 88
I've never even heard any of Ani DiFranco's music. o.O

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
foriegn might be ok, give me some of the top japanese ones that I should check out, I like everything from Bluegrass to NWA.

YUKI "Commune"
Possibly my favourite album

Bic Runga is a famous NZ singer, she's got a lovely voice. I have "beautiful collision" and she has some other albums, "Drive" and "Live with the Christchurch symphony orchestra".

Feb 9, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I've never even heard any of Ani DiFranco's music. o.O

Well you'd better start listening then!!

To set you on your way, I reccommend:

"So much shouting, so much laughter" - a 2 CD live album, the SQ is very good and she's got quite a band backing her, with a jazzy, funky feel to it.

"Knuckle down" - her latest album

"Living in clip" - another 2 CD live album, of some older stuff, essential part of any ani collection

The double album "Revelling/Reckoning" I like lots but theres divided opinion on it.

Her voice is very expressive, she puts a lot of emotion into it, and her guitar playing is very energetic, but she also uses a lot of interesting, mellow tunings for quite a few of her songs. Like I said before, I highly recommend her to anyone... and EVERYONE
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 88
Jennifer Warnes! And also Tracy Chapman. And Linda Ronstadt.

Feb 9, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #22 of 88
  1. Patricia Barber
  2. Allison Krauss
  3. Janis Siegel
  4. Cheryl Bentyne
  5. Karen Carpenter
  6. Esther Satterfield

Feb 9, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #23 of 88
Some of my favorites, sprawling across a number of genres and styles:
Lisa Gerrard (including her work as part of Dead Can Dance, and on a number of Hans Zimmer's movie scores)
Aimee Mann
Margo Timmins (of Cowboy Junkies -- I've been listening to "The Trinity Session" over and over for the past week)
Kate Bush
Sarah McLachlan
Tori Amos
Azam Ali (of Vas)

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #25 of 88
In no particular order...

Tori Amos
Holly Cole
Lisa Loeb
Silje Nergaard
K.D. Lang
Suzanne Vega
Joan Osborne
Jaguar Wright
Alex Forbes
Patricia Barber

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #28 of 88
From the hardish rock genre, the lead singer from Within Temptation has a great voice. Check out one of their songs called "Ice Queen" for a display of her vocals.

Already mentioned that I will reiterate include Loreena McKennitt, Alison Krauss, Lucinda Williams.

I will also add Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose is a great country album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back