Who are some good female artists???
Feb 9, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 88
Domestic? As in, English vocals? (I'm big on Japanese female vocals and if you want to hear about those I can give you many artists to check out.)

Anyway, for domestic I really like Shawn Colvin, Sarah McLachlan, Lisa Loeb (don't make fun of me =P), Poe (awesome stuff even though she's not making anything new that I know of), Michelle Branch (again, don't make fun of me), Meredith Brooks, Alanis Morisette and some others I can't think of now.

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 88
Queen Latifah is just as good as Krall. Latifah's Dana Owens Album I like as well as or better than Krall's The Girl In The Other Room.

Another girl that has a great voice, but sings country (some traditional some not so traditional) is Gretchen Wilson. Style is opposite the two ladies above.

Then there is Lucinda Williams. Raspy voice, but very talented. Leans towards country, but maybe considered folk music. I like Williams very well on two of her albums. Car Wheels On A Gravel Road and World Without Tears. She is hard to pigeon hole into one genre.

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 88
I have a lucinda williams ablum, and i will check out the other two. I can't do Queen Latifua though, she gets on my nerves when i see her on tv or in the movies.

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 88
She may not be lesser known, but I really enjoyed Gillian Welch's last album (Soul Journey). I don't listen to a lot of folk/country, but I like this one a lot, especially "Look at Miss Ohio" and "One Monkey." The sparce but well thought out instrumentation combined with Welch's steady, slow vocals works really well, IMO.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
I have gotten into norah jones, diana krall, and natalie merchant. I was just wondering who I missing out on that might be lesser known.

Sissel,
Hayley,
Angela Gheorghiu,
Celicia Bartoli

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 88
I second Bjork.

My other favourite is Ani Difranco, an american folk singer/songwriter. A mix of mellow and upbeat songs. Really great voice and a funky feel.

Check out this thread for a more definitive list.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
foriegn might be ok, give me some of the top japanese ones that I should check out, I like everything from Bluegrass to NWA.

Try MISIA, Kuraki Mai, Shiina Ringo, Sakamoto Maaya, Ueto Aya, Amuro Namie and Utada Hikaru for starters.

Feb 9, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I second Ani Difranco.

Very well recorded albums as well.

Shop around, but if the price is close, try buying direct from http://www.righteousbabe.com/

Less money to the RIAA cartel, the better.

LOL, my wife teases that my music tastes are decidedly g@y and l3sb1an.

-Ed

hahaha, I turned up to an Ani gig once (on my own, none of my "macho" friends can handle her)
wink.gif
and felt a bit out of place sitting amongst a group of loud women 'man haters'.
In the end, it turns out they were a great laugh, and they bought me a beer at the bar and congratulated me on my musical taste
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back