White Stripe's Grammy Performance
Feb 11, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 23
Improvised or not, it was a great performance. Woke me up on the couch
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Th lighting scheme seemed to match the departure from the song pretty well

That can easily be synched to the music actually being played in real time.

Feb 11, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #18 of 23
OK.....I think this is what really happened
As planned WS opened with "7 nation army" and then half way through thier alotted time Jack "transitioned" to guitar track of song "dead letter" from album DeStijl initially (this was light scheme change) then just went with the flow and improvised away to close out set. (he was in the zone baby, much different than album version BTW)

NP: WHITE STRIPES - DeStijl

Feb 11, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #19 of 23
ack, i got mentioned in a thread by a mod.. that's not usually a compliment (for me).
wink.gif

i commented on this in my impressions of their tour when i saw them in november and i really do feel they are a strong live band, though their style is _not_ common and will not be for everybody.

Dark Angel: i am not sure which guitar he played on the grammys but i do know he uses a vintage '65 guitar made from some crazy kind of fiberglass (air-o-lite?). i have the article somewhere at home.. but at the most recent nyc tour stop, a fan gave him a mint red/white one because he noticed that jack's current one was falling apart. it cost something like $300 back in the day, but now goes for $3k on ebay ever-so-often. he usually doesn't use that one to play seven nation army though, if i remember correctly.

jack white is my hero these days and is one of the few people that i feel can save the music industry. he simply refuses to change his indie ways and is also a really talented musician. if you haven't bought white blood cells or elephant yet, you're really missing out.

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
can someone please tell me when the white stripes peformed at the award show. the austrlaian broadcast of the grammys was only highlights and i couldn't find a performance by WS. who played before them or after them? thanks!

i had made a dvd of the musical performances of the grammys and i am putting it in the other computer now.. here is the order in the U.S.

1. Prince & beyonce
2. Sting,, Williams,, & Vince gill singing a Beatles song
3. christina aguilera
4. WHITE STRIPES
5. Martina McBride
6. Alicia Keys
7. Celine Dion
8. Sting & Sean Paul ( singing roxanne)
9. Justin Timberlake & some Latin Trumpiter
10. Black Eyed Peas with justin singing in background
11. Beyonce (gee,, she looks good)
12. Earth Wind & Fire medley with
Outkast (singing The Way you Move)
Robert Randolph & the Family Band ((whic I thought was the best act of the night)
George Clinton & the Parliament Funkadelics
13. Foo Fighters & Chick Corea
14. Sarah McLachlan
15. Outkast (andre) with his 10 little indians and the toy soldiers marching band (( really cool,, phatt))

i left one out at the end that i couldn't stand;; can't remember what it was;; but it was about a singer who died,, i guess..

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Slimm
I'm not sure how much of an improvisation it was. Th lighting scheme seemed to match the departure from the song pretty well if I remember correctly.

But it was a SMOKIN' performance, that's for sure.

you're right about the lighting.. it followed the song preety well.. it was planned.. i am watching my dvd copy of the night right now and::

about 3 and a half minutes into the performance Jack looks at his sister and gives her a cue and yells something at her and starts his big sole.. AND the white strobe lights start strobing brightly;; very planned..

and youzz can't be that naieve to think he is actually playing all that guital music.. i am playing it over and over;; and some of the chords you hear on the guitar anre sounding with his hand actually off the strings (his hand in the air).. his hand is not even strumming to the "triplet" sound of the background rhythm guitar)..

there's got to be a guitar player out there to comfirm this.. i played keyboards for a living for 33 years;; and you can't tell me that he is doing all that live..

i'm hearing the timeing (one two and three-pul-let four-pul-let) constantly;; and his hand (fingers) and NOT strumming the triplets.. NO NO NO NO !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back