White noise when volume maxed (ATOM and 789)
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zookie

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi!

I've been following this forum for a few years and figured I'd post my first thread with an issue I'm having.

I currently have 2 different amp/dac setups;

Schiit Modius ->THX789 and Topping D10 ->Atom amp.

I noticed that whenever I plug in my AKG K371 and Tin T2 IEM to either amp when there is no music playing and have high gain on, I can hear a static/white noise. The atom amp isn't so noticeable until I hit about 12 O' clock on the volume, and for the THX789 it becomes audible at 10 O' clock and its mainly in my right ear (I run the Modius and 789 balanced and have swapped cables to make sure that wasn't the culprit).

I don't notice white noise when I run my LCD2C or DT1990's and of course I don't ever use high gain on my K371 or T2's because it's overkill, but I would like to know if it's something to worry about.

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 6
It's not. You're welcome.
Everything makes noise, if only thermal noise. When you boost the voltage with an amplifier, you boost everything including noises, and that boost itself creates more noises. so it's normal that in general, the more gain you apply the more noise you'll get.
As to when it becomes audible, it's simply a matter of IEM/headphone sensitivity. If little 0.05V fluctuations turn into 30dB SPL sounds in a low sensitivity headphone, it won't be obvious(or maybe even noticeable). But if it's a very sensitive IEM that gives a sound 20 or 30dB louder than the previous headphone for the same fluctuation, then you'll easily notice it.
But obviously, because the very sensitive IEM is so sensitive, you shouldn't have any reason to use big gain and high voltage outputs with it. Some extremely sensitive IEMs let you notice background hiss from most amps and DAPs, no matter the gain setting or volume level. They're just that sensitive so even tiny tiny noises become noticeable.

PS: I do recommend to stop trying it because someday you will forget to go back and play music with everything maxed out. Then, nether your IEM nor your ears will be happy about it and you will really worry.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 6
I currently have 2 different amp/dac setups;
Schiit Modius ->THX789 and Topping D10 ->Atom amp.
I noticed that whenever I plug in my AKG K371 and Tin T2 IEM to either amp when there is no music playing and have high gain on, I can hear a static/white noise. The atom amp isn't so noticeable until I hit about 12 O' clock on the volume, and for the THX789 it becomes audible at 10 O' clock and its mainly in my right ear (I run the Modius and 789 balanced and have swapped cables to make sure that wasn't the culprit).
I don't notice white noise when I run my LCD2C or DT1990's and of course I don't ever use high gain on my K371 or T2's because it's overkill, but I would like to know if it's something to worry about. Thanks!
If not already, put the source (computer) on a separate powerstrip, from the DAC & head amp.
See if that helps cut out the noise issue.
Maybe even put the DAC and head amp on separate power strip, see if that reduces noise.

If you connect the Schiit Modius to your source (computer), using S/PDF optical/coaxial, do you still hear the static noise?

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 6
If not already, put the source (computer) on a separate powerstrip, from the DAC & head amp.
Maybe even put the DAC and head amp on separate power strip, see if that reduces noise.

If you connect the Schiit Modius to your source (computer), using S/PDF optical/coaxial, do you still hear the static noise?

Different powerstrips may lead to ground loop though.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 6

I have a S/PDF cable on the way right now to try out. I will note that with the dac unplugged the noise is not as loud but still there. Also everything is on a separate power strips from my PC. I also just tried plugging into the wall directly but nothing worked.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 6
It's not. You're welcome.
Everything makes noise, if only thermal noise. When you boost the voltage with an amplifier, you boost everything including noises, and that boost itself creates more noises. so it's normal that in general, the more gain you apply the more noise you'll get.
As to when it becomes audible, it's simply a matter of IEM/headphone sensitivity. If little 0.05V fluctuations turn into 30dB SPL sounds in a low sensitivity headphone, it won't be obvious(or maybe even noticeable). But if it's a very sensitive IEM that gives a sound 20 or 30dB louder than the previous headphone for the same fluctuation, then you'll easily notice it.
But obviously, because the very sensitive IEM is so sensitive, you shouldn't have any reason to use big gain and high voltage outputs with it. Some extremely sensitive IEMs let you notice background hiss from most amps and DAPs, no matter the gain setting or volume level. They're just that sensitive so even tiny tiny noises become noticeable.

PS: I do recommend to stop trying it because someday you will forget to go back and play music with everything maxed out. Then, nether your IEM nor your ears will be happy about it and you will really worry.
Thank you for this. I just figured something was especially wrong with either modius or thx 789 since only my right driver was giving me audible white noise. When I switched over from balanced to RCA the white noise was quieter, and in both drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back