White earbuds? What's the big deal?
Aug 16, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 63
part of it is safety. You've probably heard of the various "ipod muggings." i don't want to be a part of that. additionally, i don't want people in my school to ask me if they can "check out my ipod."

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Yeah...You have 3!!!

What do you do with three pairs of the same 'phone?

oh, but they are now far from the same. but lets keep this thread on topic

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #18 of 63
It's several things for me, but in general, white things like that are meant to stand out, to be noticed. I'm all about sleek, seemless, inconspicuous. And if you can look at me and not notice I've got $800 worth of audio equipment on me, all the better. Not just with earbuds, though, I feel the same way about cars, my desk, etc.

Not to mention what white earbuds have come to mean, and the whole lemming thing, etc.

I guess, to say it more clearly: I wouldn't buy white headphones even if the ipod didn't exist. But the fact that wearing white headphones 'means' something now just makes them that much less appealing.

Of course, I say that with the gold 325i's and white er6i's and e4c's
tongue.gif
. I'm tryin to get the e4's, and the er6i's are going soon...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #19 of 63
i hate ipods and i hate the general trendiness associated with them. modern fashion and trends are absolutely ridiculous, so i'd rather not be associated with them.

yes yes yes the music is supposed to always come first.. but if someone sold headphones with a giant jesus fish on them i wouldn't buy them. i'm not christian and dont associate with christianity, so why would i want to make myself look like i do?

i hate modern trendiness trendiness and dont associated with it, so why would i want to make myself look like i do?

(i was originally gonna use swastica as an example but that's goin a bit far
wink.gif
also it's a symbol of peace/etc when used properly and didn't want to hear ppl blabbering about that)

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 63
i have 2 ipods that i dont take out of my room. a 2nd gen, hooked up to my stereo, which has all my classical on it, and a 4th gen, just to take a line out ot an amp. i have NEVER used the white earbuds, i wouldnt even give them away. i think that making something white is asking for issues, if its with potential muggers or the fact that WHITE GETS DIRTY FAST. and the whole ipod fashion thing, i sell them at work, dont get me wrong, 50% of ipod customers dont know what they want, are lovely people and can be convinced otherwise, 30% just need something simple, the REST of the ipod customers are assh**es to the highest degree, rude, uppity, and showoffy (can i get a ipod holder for my ferrari?)

i try not to hate ipods, as everythig has merit, but its the odd ipod owner that sets me off, and white headphones associate with ipod.
Has anyone here recently travelled on the london underground? White headphones EVERYWHERE!

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I agree, Going to school in boston and going for frequent walks around The prudential mall and what not, Im am much happier that I now have the Er-4s. Most people (regular non headphiliaoso members of society) Probably think there earplugs or something and have no idea there "worth" on the streets

etysmile.gif

I hear you, I just got a pair of Stax SR-001's. I've seen a few people around wearing the white earbuds, most look at me curiously like I'm out of place with black "earspeakers" ... ah well
lambda.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #22 of 63
wow, I never even THOUGHT of some of the things a few of you have said so far concerning the color white. I have a Creative Zen Micro, and those ship with white earbuds, although they are a tad different than the ipod ones. I think they look nice, actually. I honestly don't think half of my ipod using friends give a crap what color their "free" earbuds were, they just use the buggers.

Though I admit, that is a good point with the white-cord-mugging stuff..
eek.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 63
White earbuds. Mine aren't opened because the previous pair I had (i sold and bought an ipod) gave me an earache for a week. I don't think the colour had anything to do with it.

I figure like white cars show off grime, white earbuds will show off how dirty your ears are, or how many pets you have. Cat hair sticks to everything. And dirt just accumulates . White is good at showing it off..

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #26 of 63
i gotta say i'm not so sure about the security threat, unless america is reallly unsafe

i'm sure it's just hyped out of proportion. sure white ear buds probably wont help you in a dark alley in south central LA.. but i doubt it'd normally cause any problems

you americans are being told to be scared all the time

does no one wear jewelery? a ring can easily cost many times more than an ipod and have a better resale value. my phone costs twice as much and i talk on it in public all the time. what happens when you get a call? too scared to take the phone out?

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
i gotta say i'm not so sure about the security threat, unless america is reallly unsafe

i'm sure it's just hyped out of proportion. sure white ear buds probably wont help you in a dark alley in south central LA.. but i doubt it'd normally cause any problem

does no one wear jewelery? a ring can easily cost many times more than an ipod and have a better resale value. my phone costs twice as much and i talk on it in public all the time. what happens when you get a call? too scared to take the phone out?

I'm sure that most jewelry and electronics are stolen by thieves, not through outright violent robbery. An ipod is just easily noticeable, and there's obvious resale value. Jewelry at the same time can be fake, or just worth very little =).

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz

i'm sure it's just hyped out of proportion. sure white ear buds probably wont help you in a dark alley in south central LA.. but i doubt it'd normally cause any problems

you americans are being told to be scared all the time

rolleyes.gif
It's a real issue. Does it happen all the time? No. But frequently enough in big urban areas that it warrants some thought. As for resale value, it likely is much easier to quickly flip an ipod than a ring.

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
Has anyone here recently travelled on the london underground? White headphones EVERYWHERE!

Tell me about it! Living in London, and using the underground on a daily basis, they are everywhere!

I'am just waiting for the backlash of the colour white...it will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back