White earbuds? What's the big deal?
Aug 16, 2005 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
There are so many people that seem to avoid buying white earbud headphones because they don't want to give the impression they have iPods.

I personally don't care, black, white, it doesn't matter to me except the sound. Yes I've heard about the muggings, but how likely is that? Do you guys regular roam around shadier parts of Detroit or something?

If people think I'm using an iPod, who cares? Is it really such a big deal to people?

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 63
I guess it's just a case of not wanting to advertise the fact that you may have a reasonably expensive piece of electronics about your person... Due to a top notch marketing job by Apple i immediately think 'iPod' whenever i see someone with white earbuds
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 63
I think some people just don't like white earbuds. I don't.
tongue.gif

Also, I admittingly, and it may sound stupid, do not want people to think I have an ipod, even if I did. Cause of the muggings, like you said; and cause round here in MA mainly rich preppy kids have em. (I rarely even see a I guy who wasn't dressed/acting like he was upper-class with one) It's used as a status symbol. I don't like being associated with them, and they probably don't wanna be associated with me.

That said, I'd get one if I had the money and didn't already have a HD player. (as half-broken as my current one may be) Still wouldn't keep the white buds though.

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 63
I think a bit of it has to do with the fact that the iPod is a mainstream product. Our hobby, and a lot of the gear we buy is certainly not mainstream, at least at the level the iPod is.

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 63
I agree, Going to school in boston and going for frequent walks around The prudential mall and what not, Im am much happier that I now have the Er-4s. Most people (regular non headphiliaoso members of society) Probably think there earplugs or something and have no idea there "worth" on the streets

etysmile.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I think a bit of it has to do with the fact that the iPod is a mainstream product. Our hobby, and a lot of the gear we buy is certainly not mainstream, at least at the level the iPod is.

Exactly.

Also, this sounds stupid, but you guys have heard of people being violently robbed of their iPods, no? White earbuds attrack attention.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I agree, Going to school in boston and going for frequent walks around The prudential mall and what not, Im am much happier that I now have the Er-4s. Most people (regular non headphiliaoso members of society) Probably think there earplugs or something and have no idea there "worth" on the streets

My cousin goes to BU, and he used to have a pair of er-4s. Most people thought they were $2 thriftstore phones or hearing aids or something. Plus the yellow looks nasty.

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 63
I think it is a great idea. I can buy the white earbuds cheaper since nobody wants them. All I care is the sound and loot in my wallet.

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 63
For me, I believe in aesthetics as well as sound quality..
If you're gonna show them off in public in your ears, might as well have a matching DAP (and no iPod for me, please, I had e3s to go with my grey Karma).
And sometimes, aesthetics and comfort are closely related.. The Superfi 5ebs look both ugly and uncomfortalbe and bulky. However, when it comes to just paint on identical models, I would avoid anything related to iPod, so they won't get stolen and people won't assume I'm a rich iPod jerk (not to suggest that all podders are rich jerks by any means) or something. I think it mainly has to do with the fact that iPods give off a certain impression. I bought my GBA and Gamecube and they were *purple*. That didn't bother me, because they were Nintendo..

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 63
For me it is a great dislike for the Ipod.

I hate that some people buy it eventhough there are better, cheaper, smaller, bigger(hd space), and cheaper DAP's out there that last MUCH longer on a charge with more features and are better suited for the individuals needs. Not to mention they are cheaper.

The accessory market with the Ipod is unbeatable though...

Why couldn't Apple have made the Karma.

I dont know if any of that made sense but I just dont like the Ipod.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 63
For the more self-conscious people, I suppose white earbuds/cords will also attract more attention because of Ipod.

For me, I just don't like white cords. I didn't like them on generic headphones years ago, and not even on the old MDR-EX70LP/W. More of a general design preference.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
My cousin goes to BU, and he used to have a pair of er-4s. Most people thought they were $2 thriftstore phones or hearing aids or something. Plus the yellow looks nasty.

LOL! Most people at my school still think I got KSC-35's out of the trash bin...
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 63
I would feel uncomfortable with white earbuds, I like my headphones, but there's no point in having a bright white cord dangling about. I'll take black, thank you.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
The Superfi 5ebs look both ugly and uncomfortalbe and bulky.

Hey! They are awesome!

And I prefer the grey/clear/black iems to the white as it seems that white clashes w/ almost anything I wear where as the other colors don't jump out as much thus taking the focus off of "hey he's listening to tunes."

*although I guess wearing dt880s kinda does that also, but god loves dt880s and so do I*

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivandal
*although I guess wearing dt880s kinda does that also, but god loves dt880s and so do I*

Yeah...You have 3!!!

What do you do with three pairs of the same 'phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back