Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jun 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #316 of 1,413
I'm starting out on Scotches (just like cans).  So far I've only extensively had Glen Moray 12 and Glenmorangie 10.  The Moray sucks, period. I'll work my way up from there. Or maybe I won't, I'm already bordering on alcoholic. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #317 of 1,413
Today's Scotsman newspaper--quote-An island distillery has opened the whisky lovers dream holiday cottage.--Seaview Cottage offers stunning views and is located at the heart of Islay s Ardbeg Distillery.-Visitors can enjoy a glass of Islay Malt at its place of origin-end quote. While the weather cant be guaranteed [at least the rain is warm in summer] the surrounding landscape and  craggy sea shore is joy to behold.  

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #318 of 1,413
Today's Scotsman newspaper--quote-An island distillery has opened the whisky lovers dream holiday cottage.--Seaview Cottage offers stunning views and is located at the heart of Islay s Ardbeg Distillery.-Visitors can enjoy a glass of Islay Malt at its place of origin-end quote. While the weather cant be guaranteed [at least the rain is warm in summer] the surrounding landscape and  craggy sea shore is joy to behold.  

Arbeg is some good stuff. Their Uigeadail is my favorite sub $100 Scotch and the Corryvreckan is close behind. Has anyone tried their new Ardbog release?

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #319 of 1,413
Quote:

Mentally... I'm already there.
It may take a bit of time, however, for me to actually get there physically... 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #321 of 1,413
I have to say that living an artist's life I rarely get to drink the single malts I love, two of which would be Talisker and Lagavulin. However I do pick up inexpensive Irish whiskeys, which are OK if you like your stuff sweet.

Here's one thing I find odd... whenever I have tried an older cask or a special version of one of the standard malts, I always prefer the more common variety. At one point I sat down in a library with some of the review books and  the ratings by the experts confirmed this!

So it seems that whiskey is one case where the more you spend the less you get. (Ignoring the bottom of the barrel blends of course.)

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #323 of 1,413
Quote:
I have to say that living an artist's life I rarely get to drink the single malts I love, two of which would be Talisker and Lagavulin. However I do pick up inexpensive Irish whiskeys, which are OK if you like your stuff sweet.

Here's one thing I find odd... whenever I have tried an older cask or a special version of one of the standard malts, I always prefer the more common variety. At one point I sat down in a library with some of the review books and  the ratings by the experts confirmed this!

So it seems that whiskey is one case where the more you spend the less you get. (Ignoring the bottom of the barrel blends of course.)

I can't comment on your experiences... but mine have at times matched, and at times been the exact opposite.
I've tasted some pretty expensive stuff that has blown me away, and some that has not. It's like headphones and music and food. If you don't like it, it doesn't matter how much it costs. It all comes down to taste. In this case... literally.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #325 of 1,413
Quote--The Scotsman newspaper-9-8-2013= Whisky fans are invited to suggest the name for a new single malt.Matured in manzanilla casks used to store sherry. Glenmorangie wants people to suggest names which will be translated into Gaelic and put to another vote.-Glenmorangie  means-glen of tranquility in Gaelic . DR Bill Lumsden director of distilling says=he wants to create history by giving fans the chance to decide the name of our next limited edition single malt. Suggestions can be submitted online this month with the winning name announced in September .But the whisky will not be on sale until Fall next year. Just like to say to enter the website you have to give your date of birth and country of residence. To comply with UK laws on selling spirit.--over 21 years old.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #326 of 1,413
Quote--The Scotsman newspaper-12-8-2013--John Walker+ sons has sent staff to China to create bespoke bottlings for clients there.. Jim Beveridge master blender says JW want to build on the success of its John  Walker+ sons-Odyssey bottling--a blend of 3 premium whiskies which currently retail at   £600 a bottle/ around $800/50. It seems the Chinese have "taken to" Scotch whisky.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #327 of 1,413
Holeeee crap I found the whiskey thread.

Having recently moved to the heart of bourbon country I am enjoying all the different bourbons. You can get stuff in grocery stores and gas stations here that aren't available in most of the country. My "studies" lead me to the conclusion that you really don't have to spend much to get a really good bourbon. In fact I would say there is a very obvious point of diminishing return once you get past the $30 mark.

I've also discovered that a "smooth" drink is highly overrated. I used to buy stuff like Maker's Mark and I was missing out on so much. Now I want a whiskey that will get all up in your bidness.

You absolutely CANNOT beat Very Old Barton BIB, Weller Antique or Van Winkle Reserve and none of them cost more than $22 at the liquor store around the corner from my house. It's pretty awesome.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #328 of 1,413
If any of you ever visit Scotland then pay a visit to a public house in Glasgow . Its called the POT STILL which got an award for its food although the owner--Frank Murphy isn't happy about it as it doesn't sell restaurant food only pub food. But was so well liked by its regulars that it won an award on --TRIP ADVISOR---www.tripadvisor.co.uk--Its in the middle of Glasgow and is famed for its variety of whiskey's. It stocks--556 different whiskey's[including US]--Comments from the regulars--Great atmosphere great crowd and the best whisky in Glasgow[and a lot of other places].

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #329 of 1,413
When I got into whiskey I started with Scotch, Islay's for the most part. I still enjoy them but I will take a good bourbon or rye every time over any Scotch I've had. To me, a good American Whiskey has just incredible flavors. I probably have more than 10 bottles of whiskey in my liquor cabinet and easily two thirds of them are American whiskey's. A year ago, the opposite would be true.

Got to agree, i started as a big wisky man but i do enjoy a good bourbon now, i had a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 last week and loved it. Still love a drop of Cragganmore though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back