Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Apr 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #286 of 1,413
I was going to pick up a Yamazaki 18 yrs while I was at a  japanese supermarket just now but they were selling it for $135 when it is only $110 at klwines...
I guess I will drop by their klwines' Hollywood store next time I go to my wine locker.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #287 of 1,413
I think the Eagle Rare 10, Buffalo Trace, and Bulliet are all great entry level Bourbons. In the low 30's, Black Maple Hill is my favorite. In the 40's I really like the Rowans Creak, which is the next line up from the Corner Creek 5aces referenced. The 2011 Thomas Handy Sazerac Antique was my favorite pour in the last year. Absolutely fantastic!

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #288 of 1,413
Couple of my favorites.

Bruichladdich Carmel Cask. Fantastic stuff. One of the better Whisky's I've tried.

Bruichladdich Carmel Cask by danska8, on Flickr

Bruichladdich Black Art ver2.2? Fairly wine cask dominated. Very interesting but a lot of the salt water character I usually get from their Whisky is gone.

Bruichladdich Black Art by danska8, on Flickr

And a very nice more relaxed Oban 18.

Evening treat by danska8, on Flickr

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #289 of 1,413
I've been curious to try the Oban 18 now that they've made it a regular feature in the lineup. I'm a big fan of honey/heather scotches. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #290 of 1,413
I'm a college student, so such whiskeys are beyond my means, but I've learned I enjoy a good Bourbon. Like a heathen, I drink it on ice, with about 1 ice cube per shot and a half of bourbon. I see the attraction of drinking it neat, but for me warm alcohol numbs my lips and tongue instantly and I cant enjoy it. With a little ice I can savor the taste, although I know it's a little diluted and the ice constricts the aroma.. I enjoy knob creek, and on a budget I prefer jim beam to having no drink at all, but so far my favorite is maker's mark. I'm not letting myself try anything more high end until I have a real job 
wink_face.gif
, since a bottle of maker's mark is already about what I spend on groceries a week.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #291 of 1,413
Maverick Monk - you should try some "Famous Grouse" Scotch. It's well within your budget, and a pretty reliable basic blended scotch. A good introduction, without breaking the bank. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #292 of 1,413
Quote:
Maverick Monk - you should try some "Famous Grouse" Scotch. It's well within your budget, and a pretty reliable basic blended scotch. A good introduction, without breaking the bank. 

You may well be my undoing! Thanks for the suggestion

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #293 of 1,413
Looove whiskey, my fav stiff drink. Still kinda young, in college, and I haven't met others who like it as much as I do, but I have tried Johnny Walker Black (my fav), Crown Royal - canadian whiskey counts right? hah. I've also tried a couple cheaper ones but the best I had so far was Highland Park. Expensive glass, only see it at nice clubs, but damn is it smooth. 

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #294 of 1,413
Bought a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh yesterday, batch 39, 59.8% alcohol. Didn't open it as I still have an open bottle of Highland Park 15 year old, which is really nice stuff. Also have unopened bottles of Laphroaig 18 year old, and Ardbeg 10 year old. Got the Laphroaig for $59 at Niagara Falls duty free, when it was going for $179.95 at LCBO in Ontario. Even though it was duty free, still think someone made a "wee" mistake on the pricing laddie :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #295 of 1,413
Ah i have a bottle of the aberlour cask strength too, not sure which batch, bought it a year or 2 ago. Havent opened it, i assume you drink it with water? Have you tried it yet? heard it was a good one.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #296 of 1,413
Quote:
Even though it was duty free, still think someone made a "wee" mistake on the pricing laddie
smily_headphones1.gif

Not really - the 18 year is regularly on sale here for about $75 in Chicago, and we have fairly high retail prices (plus high local taxes on booze). $59 is a bargain, but not a steal. Especially since it's still going to be a smoke bomb. Stick you head in a fireplace while drinking some $20 Bushmills for the same effect on a budget. :wink:

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #298 of 1,413
Ah i have a bottle of the aberlour cask strength too, not sure which batch, bought it a year or 2 ago. Havent opened it, i assume you drink it with water? Have you tried it yet? heard it was a good one.

Haven't opened it yet. Use water occasionally, but prefer it straight up. Think I'll open it a little closer to Christmas.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #299 of 1,413
go to whiskybase and search my username there, you guys can see my collection. If you are in Australia, I am open to exchanging sample bottles
wink_face.gif

the problem with having 2 expensive hobbies, well you can't afford to spend too much on either.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #300 of 1,413
My favorite Scotch:

--Jura Prophecy
--Ardbeg Galileo
--High Park 12 (Better than the 18, imo)
--Laphroaig Quarter Cask

My Favorite Bourbon:

--Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: George T. Stagg
--Buffalo Trace Antique Collection: William Larue Weller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back