Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jun 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #241 of 1,413

Quote:
Basil Haydens's....now there is a man with fine taste buds! I think Basil Hayden's is a great bourbon but hard to find over here in the UK.

No love for Kentucky's Labrot and Graham Woodford Reserve?  Best bourbon I've had so far.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #242 of 1,413

Quote:
I just watched National Geographic's documentary about how Jack Daniel's is made. Sure, it's a bit corny (hehe) as with all the NG documentaries but it was great to have a visual presentation about the whole factory. I learned some new stuff and it's impressive, to say the least, to see how much work it takes to make one bottle of Jack. I can only recommend watching it. :)

As long as you don't drink it that should be fine.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #243 of 1,413
I just picked up a bottle of Green Label, and had my first taste last night.  I'm terribly impressed with this particular blend (though it is 100% malt, which surely helps)!  It is extremely well-rounded, develops nicely, but is still quite distinctive.  Fantastic flavors of bananas and pears, yielding to stronger walnut and vanilla as it rested, with just the right amount of smoke.  Highly recommended! 

Anyone else have experience with this? 

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #244 of 1,413
I just picked up a bottle of Green Label, and had my first taste last night.  I'm terribly impressed with this particular blend (though it is 100% malt, which surely helps)!  It is extremely well-rounded, develops nicely, but is still quite distinctive.  Fantastic flavors of bananas and pears, yielding to stronger walnut and vanilla as it rested, with just the right amount of smoke.  Highly recommended! 

The Johnny Walker?I've never tasted the Green Label but I must admit I've always considered Johnny Walker as subpar for its price, the one's I've tasted are
- Red Label, pretty much crap
- Black Label, a very basic whisky, not horrible but the only good thing about it is that it fills a price point where single malts don't usually exist.
- Blue Label, actually very good, but should be price between 2/3 and 1/3 of its selling price.

So you're saying the green is good? I'll have to taste it then. Meanwhile, go buy a Highland Park, the standard 12 yo is very good.:cool:

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #245 of 1,413
The green is the best of the lot!  The red is really only suitable for ginger ale or coke
biggrin.gif
  Black is well balanced but pretty bland and lacks character.  Gold is too smooth imho, lacks bite.  Blue is stupidly expensive.  The green, on the other hand, is exceptional - I highly recommend you find a bar where you can try it out! 

I have a bottle of the 15 year Highland Park here, which I chose due to the use of American oak - i'll definitely grab a bottle of the 12 year as soon as I finish this one (which, at my speed, will probably be at least 6 months :p )

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #247 of 1,413
Blue labels at duty free shops aren't bad at all but locally it's like $275+/bottle wayyyyy overpriced around here
I like enjoy the hint of citrus of the black, goes well with fruit, solid drink anytime - one of my go-to drinks
Recently tried the Red (it was on sale and you get two glasses for a promo) and was so nasty tasted like mouthwash (no joke). Never going purchase it again unless it's for mixing/cocktails. Almost non-existent finish. Pretty much got suckered on the promo and the glasses lol
blink.gif

Gold is somewhat expensive (maybe it's just around here?) but tried it once I enjoyed it - decent drink very soft and sorta creamy but bad price
Never tried the green - Didn't have much time to enjoy myself these days but I will be looking forward to the green
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #248 of 1,413

is anyone familiar with the JW King George V bottling? Unclear to me whether this is a new blend, or just a collector's edition bottling of standard blue label?

for an everyday blended whisky, Teacher's is always good to me.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #249 of 1,413
The JW King George V is a limited edition blend casked during the reign of King George V and bottled in 2007 to recreate the JW blending style of the King George V era (1930-1936). Oak casks from the last century were used to age the whisky. The whisky was only produced in distilleries that operated during the reign of King George V. Many of those distilleries no longer exists. The whisky is bottled in a crystal decanter and is individually number, it also comes with a certificate of authenticity. I currently have a bottle of King George V that was gifted to me and it remains sealed and stored away.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #251 of 1,413
Of the JW's the green's my favourite also - makes me think of green apples. I've tried the blue label and think it hideously overpriced and very well marketed. It's a good whisky make no mistake just not at the price they're asking. I'd have to concur with many other head-fiers here that Lagavulin is ye whisky of ye gods. It's my favourite followed by Laphroiag and Ardberg.

I'm an Islay fan and I likes my peat but I'm also still a struggling student, so my daily dram remains Black Bottle - best budget whisky ever.

Cheers

Quote:
Quote:

The Johnny Walker?I've never tasted the Green Label but I must admit I've always considered Johnny Walker as subpar for its price, the one's I've tasted are
- Red Label, pretty much crap
- Black Label, a very basic whisky, not horrible but the only good thing about it is that it fills a price point where single malts don't usually exist.
- Blue Label, actually very good, but should be price between 2/3 and 1/3 of its selling price.

So you're saying the green is good? I'll have to taste it then. Meanwhile, go buy a Highland Park, the standard 12 yo is very good.
cool.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #252 of 1,413
i just wanted to say since hardly anyone does anything cheap around here..... i will keep jack daniels in the same room as 50 year old macallan. johny red on the other hand, ouch! is that really gasoline in there? you probably all know this already but just sayin'. hence the post right above this lol.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #253 of 1,413
Wow, I don't even have the faintest idea of what a 50 yo Macallan is worth, 10k maybe?
On the other the basic JD is just ouch! to my palate, not that Johnny Red is any better.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #254 of 1,413
i have been trying different cheap ones the last few nights. i don't know why besides a place close by has pints. the black is like something completely different. maybe a little better than jd. the red i find just undrinkable. as said, the green is the sweet spot. the blue is over priced i agree. way overpriced. i'll take the macallan 17 yo oak over blue any day. sure, it is completely different but also a lot nicer imo.

yeah, 50 macallan is a lot but it depends on where you get it. a place about 120 miles from me i went to had a 1937(i think)! what i certainly remember is it was $45,000 lol.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #255 of 1,413
I like most types whisky and whiskey.

For Scotch I like Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Auchentoshan.

For Canadian I prefer Forty Creek.

For bourbon I prefer Old Granddad.

For rye I prefer Bulleit.

I haven't spent much time on Irish whiskey yet so Jameson is all I'm acquainted with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back