Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jan 7, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #136 of 1,413
Had a glass of Highland Park 12 the other day, classical whisky, but still very enjoyable.

And best way to enjoy JD, Grawk had the good answer, though I haven't tested the more expensive ones.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #137 of 1,413

Quote:
remember, when thinking about best sold, budweiser is the best selling beer in ireland

You have to start somewhere. The only way to know if the stuff lives up to the hype is to try it. :)

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #138 of 1,413
I love single malts, always a couple of bottles at home, but I have to say, I can enjoy a Jack Daniels if I want a simple, cheaper whisky.

I like it more than cheaper Scotch blended.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #139 of 1,413
Okay, so what is the main difference between Scotch and American/Bourbon whisk(e)y in taste then? I know a little about the difference in making it but I never tried any of it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #140 of 1,413
I think others can anwer that better, I'm not very good at describing whisky's tastes/smells in English etc.
But Jack is sweeter, more mellow and just different. Scotch is a bit stronger in taste for me and I don't always want that.

I mean, I can really appriciate singles like Lagavulin, Coal Ila etc. but sometimes I just want a simple tasting whisky, to go with a beer. (In Dutch we call that a 'Amerikaans kopstootje').  

By the way, our Dutch 'Gall&Gall' sells a 'homebrand single malt' for a very reasonable price. It tastes better than you would think. I like it a bit more than a Glennfiddich.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #143 of 1,413

Quote:
I think others can anwer that better, I'm not very good at describing whisky's tastes/smells in English etc.
But Jack is sweeter, more mellow and just different. Scotch is a bit stronger in taste for me and I don't always want that.

I mean, I can really appriciate singles like Lagavulin, Coal Ila etc. but sometimes I just want a simple tasting whisky, to go with a beer. (In Dutch we call that a 'Amerikaans kopstootje').  

By the way, our Dutch 'Gall&Gall' sells a 'homebrand single malt' for a very reasonable price. It tastes better than you would think. I like it a bit more than a Glennfiddich.

Thanks, interested in that "homebrand single malt". What's it called?

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, so what is the main difference between Scotch and American/Bourbon whisk(e)y in taste then? I know a little about the difference in making it but I never tried any of it.

The other poster was telling some of it:
American Bourbon/Whiskey is generally sweeter, "darker", to some a more bland and boring taste.
Scottish whisky is drier in taste, more complex usually, can be sweet but also carrying a lot of other tastes.
The "dryness" in too much peat and smoky can be difficult for some to get accustomed to.

Thanks guys, that was what I was expecting to hear. I am not completely sure Bourbon is for me then, but I will try it of course. Proglover, when you are in Groningen you should visit "De Pintelier". It is close to the Academiegebouw en Harmoniegebouw of the Rijksuniversiteit. They specialize in different beers but I know for a fact that they have a huge range of whisky you can buy. Might not be the best tasting environment but fun nonetheless. :)

It's good to have two bottles as the difference between Scotch is huge. The peaty Ardbeg malt is nothing like the sweet caramel-like Famous Grouse Blend. Perhaps the Grouse is a bit too sweet for me.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #144 of 1,413
I enjoyed Ardbeg at a 'whisky tasting' a couple of years ago, but it's not among my favorites.

Just go to a 'gall&gall' store and ask for their own single malt. I've never bought that bottle, but drank it at friends.

When I go to Groningen, I'll try, but when I go north, it's usually Drenthe. Thanks!

All in all, whisky preferences are very personal. It's like headphones, it takes some trying, searching to get to know your preferences. And like with headphones, the ride is very enjoyable and it costs you money.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #145 of 1,413
It is hard to generalise scottish single malt whisky as there are so many different varieties/ flavors from different regions and method of proceducing it by different makers. Example of the varieties available (not comprehensive list):  http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-40.aspx

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #147 of 1,413
Ardbeg is drier tasting (not about smoke or peat) than some of the other Islay whisky brands say Laphroaig. If one doesn't like too much peat and smoke probably best to stay clear of Islay region whisky (generally, but there are exceptions).

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #148 of 1,413
Oban could be a nice one to try, also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back