Which Xin's amp to get?
Jun 15, 2006 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

visia

500+ Head-Fier
I have used Xin's amp for a while and am happy with them, so I am thinking of getting the IVth generation. However, I am not quite sure if I should stick to SUperMacro or go with one of the smaller amps. Isthere a huge just in SQ between SuperMacro and Supermini or Supermicro. I like the flexibility of the switches, which would not be the case for SUperMicro, and SuperMacro form factor is fine for me, but I recall a comment that SuperMicro has actually superior SQ to SUperMacro. It may be a tough call for the last generation of amps, as not many people currently have them, but how about SMIII?

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 8
According to the RMAA reports on Xin's site, they all sound pretty much the same and can all drive HD580 headphones with no problem. The SuperMicro has higher (tube-like) distortion than the other two. As for the remaining two, Macro is larger, has external switches, better battery life (depending on opamps and buffers used), higher voltage (though based on the tests, the Mini on only 3v apparently drives 580s with no problem), and the ability to use buffers and single opamps (but based on the tests, different opamps barely change the sound of these new IV amps).

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
According to the RMAA reports on Xin's site, they all sound pretty much the same and can all drive HD580 headphones with no problem. The SuperMicro has higher (tube-like) distortion than the other two. As for the remaining two, Macro is larger, has external switches, better battery life (depending on opamps and buffers used), higher voltage (though based on the tests, the Mini on only 3v apparently drives 580s with no problem), and the ability to use buffers and single opamps (but based on the tests, different opamps barely change the sound of these new IV amps).

Thanks for the reply. I read some threads on the Xin's site and my basic feeling is that the choice (at least between SuperMini vs SuperMacro) comes down to form factor versus ability to customize and change settings easily without opening case. In terms of SQ in basic configuration, the differences are not very large. Please let me know if anybody feels differently.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
I agree with Crazy Chimp and I think Xin has even said it himself that the sq is pretty much the same. I only have the supermini v3 but it has no problems driving my HD-650s and the sound is comparable to Headroom's micro amp.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Myself, if I had the money, I'd buy a Supermacro IV. I took a look at its presentation on Xin's site and it just looks sexy
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I am about to pull the trigger on new SuperMini, but once again has anyone directly compared SuperMini to SuperMacro? Are there any reasons SQ-wise to go with SuperMAcro instead?

Jun 17, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Myself, if I had the money, I'd buy a Supermacro IV. I took a look at its presentation on Xin's site and it just looks sexy
tongue.gif

I do agree with you. Also, it provides most flexiable tweak ability. Other, you can consider the Supermini for similar sq.

Jun 17, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 8
You got it right when you said form factor.....Supermini only about 1/8" wider than Nano and only adds 9/16" to total thickness, making the entire package as small or smaller than many cigarette packs. To all those who excuse not wanting to carry and amp because of extra weight and bulk....nah nah nah nah-nah nah. It becomes a downright foolish arguement when a Supermini is available (let alone supermicro). You don't have to fiddle with screws to open it to change jumper settings (but a tweezer is helpful with the jumpers). If I sell my current Supermini - I'll replace it with the new IV.
SQ comparability has already been adequately covered (posts above).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back