Which would you choose?
Oct 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

John Harris

Banned
Hey guys, I have done a great amount of researching lately and although I never wore an in-ear canal phone before, I'm willing to try it out due to the great reviews on the sound quality and noise-isolation. I've heard many good and bad reviews on these brands but I can't get a clear idea on what to get, no matter how many reviews I read. Here are the ones that cought my eye:

- E4c
- Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro
- ETY ER-4p

I heard the E4c is comfortable, good bass and not bad for walking/portable use. On the other hand, ER-4p has superb sound quality, mediocre bass, good customizability but I heard the "microphonic effect" occurs often (even while walking). I also heard the Ultimate Ears were just good overall. One of these will be going on an Ipod 5.5g with maybe ~256kps. Also, I'd just be doing normal activities like walking.

Info on which you would choose and why would be great. If you don't like any of those, any recommendations would be cool (Below $200 price range please). Thanks!

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 7
My vote is E4

Here's why:

1. They are very comfortable (to me anyway). -not that ER4 isn't.
2. As for comparing the fit and the way the cable routes to the earpiece, the E4 wins hands down-they are much less noticable and having the cable exit your ears/head behind is much safer as far as a chance that the cable will get snagged as with the ER4. I like to run the cable inside the back of my shirt.
3. You will be active while listening and the ER4 is very microphonic(noise transmited through the cable to your ears). I really don't notice any microphonics with the E4.

I do not have any experience with the UE and I have no desire to buy them.

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Out of the three I would choose the UE to pair up with your iPod. Both E4C and 5 Pro will not have much problem with the "microphonic effect" but ER4P is quiet plagued with it.

ER4P does have the best sound quality out of the three and as you have mentioned that it is "light" on the bass, it does extend down but just not much power in the bass. It also have the best soundstaging out of the three, but I feel that it needs better source to realize its advantages.

Both E4C and Pro 5 are well suited for portable use without additional amplification, but I like the Pro 5 a bit more. Only wish that Pro 5 have a little bit better high freq. extension as it does sound a bit darker then I like it, but E4C might sometimes sound thin and cold.

Just my 2 cents.
k1000smile.gif

Btw, GreatDane, was wondering why you do not have any desire to try UE?

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kahsu

Btw, GreatDane, was wondering why you do not have any desire to try UE?

From reading many other members comparisons re the overall sound signature and fit. Basing on that info and my personal taste, in addition to owning 2 IEMs that I very much enjoy, buying the super.fi 5 Pro would be one too many. With my amps,the E4 & ER4P leave nothing to be desired.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 7
It really depends on what you want and what type of music you listen to. If you want clarity and detail, then ER-4 is your best choice. If you want bass, then the Super.Fi 5 Pro is best. If you demand balance and mids, then E4s would be best. You really can't go wrong with these three. You might also want to look into the Westone UM2, but they are a bit over the $200 mark.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 7
I was in the exact same position as you about a month ago. To be honest, I think that since it will be your first pair of IEMs, you can go with any of the three you mentioned and be extremely happy.

I decided to go with the sf5ps mainly because I found a good deal in the headphones for sale subforum and I have not been let down by them. They have very good bass (now that I have realized good headphone bass != good IEM bass), are generally a little bit cheaper than the other two, and are generally pretty comfortable for several hours at a time. Ultimate Ears also has some amazing customer service.

I would say just pick a pair and never look back, unless of course you stumble upon some expendable cash and want to try out the others.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 7
I have listened to the last two you listed. I sold teh UE in a couple of days because they IMO sounded congested. I then got the ER4S (I have an amp) and it just sounds fantastic. I should say that I listen at very low levels and the iPod has enough juice to drive my ER4S, the volume is at 40% to 60% max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back