Which would the CD3K's sound better with?
Sep 28, 2003 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MusicLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Would the 3K's sound better out of a Headroom Supreme or straight out of an audigy 2? I know many people say they go horribly with Headroom amps, but would that combo be so bad that no amp would be better?

Sep 28, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Firstly they do not sound 'horrible' out of Headroom gear. It is more a case of maybe they don't sound their best? Someone please correct me because I don't own the CD3Ks. When people say 'horrible' it's a relative horrible. Normally, horrible applies because it is relative to another amp. For example, the MG Head may sound 'horrible' driving low impedance phones compared to say the Max.

That being said, the CD3Ks will benefit from high quality amplification and compared to the soundcard, the Headroom amp is just that.

Sep 28, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 6
My CD-3000 sound very good out of my Headroom MOHR. At the time I also had the ASL OTL32 and thought they were better out of that, but still very good with the headroom amp.

Sep 28, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 6
I got some of the best sounds I heard out of the CD3K with a tweaked up Musical Fidelity X-Can v2.

Sep 28, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
Firstly they do not sound 'horrible' out of Headroom gear. It is more a case of maybe they don't sound their best? Someone please correct me because I don't own the CD3Ks. When people say 'horrible' it's a relative horrible. Normally, horrible applies because it is relative to another amp. For example, the MG Head may sound 'horrible' driving low impedance phones compared to say the Max.

That being said, the CD3Ks will benefit from high quality amplification and compared to the soundcard, the Headroom amp is just that.

I dunno. Just about everyone who was claiming that the CD3000 was unlistenable garbage did so after hearing it out a Headroom amp on the Headroom tour. I'll note that I haven't listened to the match myself.

Sep 28, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 6
The first time I heard the CD3000s was at the Stereophile Show in NYC a few years ago. Other than the Stax Omega IIs, they were the only 'phones that caught my ear.............and they were hooked up to, you guessed it, a Headroom amp. Sounded damned good to me. I bought a pair shortly afterward.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back