Which wireless IEMs to go for?
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hoegen

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi,

I am currently using the Galaxy Buds Plus and am quite happy with them. I like the overall feel of the sound, but want more bass and stage. Basically I am trying to go into a better tier of sound when on the road. I do not care at all about ANC.

In fullsize cans I adore Denon D-5000, Hifiman HE-400 and HE-500. I like a noticeable bass with solid mids and treble.

I listen mainly to old school heavy rock / metal: Mötley Crüe, Megadeth and the likes, but also enjoy some EDM - Bishop Briggs, Alan Walker, Avicii etc.

As I am in Denmark, the options are very limited. I have narrowed it down to these:
Galaxy Buds Pro
Sony WF-1000MX3
Sony WF-SP900
Mifo 07
Mifo 05
JBL UA Rock X

Which ones would suit my tastes the best?

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 10
My personal favourites are the following

Sony WF1000XM3
Lypertek Tevi
Apollo Bold

Out of those I suspect you might like the sound characteristics of the Apollo Bold's - even though they have decent active noise cancellation I think you'll like them. If you have no choice but to stick to your list though, I also highly recommend the Sony WF1000XM3's. Not as much bass as the Bold’s but better anc and overall sound quality in my opinion.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 10
I have only heard the Sony WF but I sold them. They were better than my airpods in every way, except 1) the case didnt fit in my pocket and 2) iOS integration. They sound great tho.

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 10
I really appreciate the input :) Would you say the WD1000 have more bass and better bass than the Buds Plus?

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 10
Hey guys mind if I chime in to get some advice?

Budget = unlimited
main wants:
1) good to great noise cancellation or excellent passive blocking of outside noise. hear-through not important
2) incredible sound for female vocals, classical and opera, instrumental guitar, Pink Floyd, blues, jazz... as close as possible to JH Lola sound signature
3) AAC. Other high end codecs are a huge plus
4) great sound without having to endlessly fiddle with EQ settings.

I don’t care about heavy bass for hip hop or phone call quality.

thanks so much for the help!

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 10

Budget = unlimited
main wants:
1) good to great noise cancellation or excellent passive blocking of outside noise. hear-through not important
2) incredible sound for female vocals, classical and opera, instrumental guitar, Pink Floyd, blues, jazz... as close as possible to JH Lola sound signature

Etymotic ER2 + EtyMotion cable? 30+ dB passive noise isolation (they might as well be ear plugs), very good for your genres of music. Adjustable with their filter kit (not required). AAC and APTX support. Two variants of the ER2, the SE and XR; SE = dead neutral and SR = slight bass boost. The only thing I should note is that it will be a bit different from the JH Lola in the upper midrange/lower treble.

Edit: JH Audio looks to have a bluetooth cable too. You may want to into that. Looks to be somewhat difficult to find though :/

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 10

Budget = unlimited
main wants:

I own Airpods Pro, Sony XF-1000xm3, Galaxy Buds Plus and Ultimate Ears Fits.

For phone calls, I use the Airpods Pro. For listening to music, this is what I use: Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk + Fiio UTWS3. Great sound and sufficient noise isolation for me. Haven't yet tried it on a plane, but I will soon.

Attachments

• Dusk plus UTWS3.jpeg
    Dusk plus UTWS3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Etymotic ER2 + EtyMotion cable? 30+ dB passive noise isolation (they might as well be ear plugs), very good for your genres of music. Adjustable with their filter kit (not required). AAC and APTX support. Two variants of the ER2, the SE and XR; SE = dead neutral and SR = slight bass boost. The only thing I should note is that it will be a bit different from the JH Lola in the upper midrange/lower treble.

Edit: JH Audio looks to have a bluetooth cable too. You may want to into that. Looks to be somewhat difficult to find though :/
Hey sorry for the super late response. Thanks for the great advice! I’m definitely going with an IEM+TWS adapter solution.

A guy on another thread said he’s using the ibasso CF01 with either the Blessing 2 / Noble X and said they sound fantastic.

but I’ve heard some mixed things on the iBasso and it doesn’t have AptxHD or LDAC

Trying to find a high end solution here… I’ll probably get another pair of IEMs and keep my Lola’s for wired listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back