Which will be better for the money?
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yaufei

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an upgrade for my source very soon.

Right now my main source is a superpro usb dac running off my mbp.

I have a budget of about $1000 and I am not sure which will be a better upgrade: a USB DAC or a CD player.

Some factors to consider as well
1. I recently got most of my music on to iTunes(apple loseless) and i enjoyed the convenience of using it

2. I may go the balanced route in the future(new amp, balanced cables for my hd650 etc). Is it something i should worry now(source with balanced output)?

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Go with Buffalo 32s.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 10
No need to limit yourself to a USB DAC if you have a MacBook Pro, as it should support optical straight out via mini-TOSLink.

IMO, a good DAC will be worth more than a good CDP because you can feed both your computer and a CDP to the same DAC.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by WesMiaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to limit yourself to a USB DAC if you have a MacBook Pro, as it should support optical straight out via mini-TOSLink.

IMO, a good DAC will be worth more than a good CDP because you can feed both your computer and a CDP to the same DAC.

Agreed. Go for a DAC, with $1000 you could get something truly breathtaking.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you plan to use cd or files to listen to music? by the way, not much people use cd player here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
1. I recently got most of my music on to iTunes(apple loseless) and i enjoyed the convenience of using it

And plenty of people use CDPs here...

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by WesMiaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good advice here.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10
thank you for all the replies

i have decided to go for a DAC. hwoever i am abit confused on the optical out on my mbp. is it the same one as the 3.5mm stereo/headphone out? what kind of cable will i need to connect it to a DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back