Which Well-Tempered Clavier Recording Should I Buy?
Jul 16, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 18
I have not heard Richter's, but for a modern-piano recording of WTC with sound, you may take a look at Angela Hewitt (if money no object). Ashkenazy's recent foray did not win much critical aclaim, but I happen to like it a lot -- it is well thought-out, lively, and beautifully nuanced. And, packaged in 3CDs at mid-price, this set is a deal.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 18
if you are looking for a piano version I second Angela Hewitt recommendation. I haven't got the whole set (I am "assemblying" it with trades in Lala) but I like what I've heard so far: middle-of-the-road, unfussy playing that manages to feel very personal and emotional upon repeated listenings.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 18
Schiff's is the first version I've heard, but I'm not a fan of his fugues..

I do love Richter...when I can stand the sound, like you alluded to. I don't know if I have a remastered copy or not, but the tone is just horrid.

Personally, my favorite is Till Fellner's recordings. From the few that I have played, I have aimed to achieve a Fellner like interpretation, but I have nowhere near the technique to do so. A great juxtaposition of technique, and beauty, especially in the fugues. Again, my favorite recording thus far. (his playing of #12 from WTC 1 is the best i've heard, both prelude and fugue).

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 18
Last week I was in the exact same position as you were. I am not an experienced listener, but I love WTC. I ended up buying this one by Roberts, and thus far I am very pleased. The recording is good (1999) and I liked his pacing.

I should have asked here beforehand, I will probably be following this thread to find out what experienced listeners can provide.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 18
#12(F minor) from WTC 1, I'm thinking of adding that as part of my repertoire for next year. Such a difficult piece, I heard. I'm still very confused what to buy... this is my first experience buying a WTC record so I don't want to make any dumb mistakes.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene Kwon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a decent Well-Tempered Clavier Recording (Bach). I was going to buy Richter's (http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Well-Temp...4571504&sr=8-1) but some people say that the sound is 'abominable'. Is this true?

Advice from experienced classical aficionados would be appreciated.

Don't forget to consider Wanda Landowska's recordings of the Well-Tempered Clavier Recording.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

#12(F minor) from WTC 1, I'm thinking of adding that as part of my repertoire for next year. Such a difficult piece, I heard. I'm still very confused what to buy... this is my first experience buying a WTC record so I don't want to make any dumb mistakes.

Probably my favorite P and F from the first book, even if the fugue isn't easy.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

The problem with Landowska's recording is that it's in harpsicord. Also, doesn't Gould's recording also have a sound quality problem?

Since when was this a problem
tongue.gif
Gould's recording has "problems" if you consider his humming to be annoying. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

The problem with Landowska's recording is that it's in harpsicord. Also, doesn't Gould's recording also have a sound quality problem?

Actually, that's what I expected when I bought it a week ago. I first heard this recording on LP and found it by accident on CD. A Cheap buy as well along with an offer of 'The Art of Fugue'.

It has been re-issued by Sony. The quality isn't as poor as I expected and Glenn does a few spectacular grunts, but hey, he's human!

Worries about recording quality go once you hear his playing. It mesmorises me. I saw him years ago live and I think I was hypnotised. It is VERY different but is SO refreshing after hearing so many modern pianists (including my wife) trying to perform a so called 'perfect' version of them.

I would get the 'perfect' version and also buy Glenn's recording at the same time. Also, get a music score of them and follow to get a real insight into musicianship.

His playing bowls me over. Anyone know why he died at 50? (Don't come out with ... he's stopped breathing, please!!
tongue.gif
)

(btw - his Beethoven sonatas are also an entertaining listen)

Ian

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

are you studying at a university/conservatory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back