Which upgrade is more worthwhile?
Sep 14, 2004 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sledge

100+ Head-Fier
Been quite a while since I've posted here. I lurk every now and again and there's always good info to be found here.

Anyway my question is fairly straightforward. I have a Rio Karma with Sennheiser PX200 headphones. Which would be a more worthwhile upgrade: Shure E3's or a Xin SuperDual/Mono/TurboAlphaEX (
biggrin.gif
) amplifier?

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 19
I can't imagine the PX200 benefiting all that much from any amp so I'd suggest getting a new pair of headphones. I'd support your choice of the E3s, but I'm afraid that others on this board...*ahem* commando...will then tell you they suck so I will refrain from recommending any specific pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 19
Neither or both
tongue.gif

As O said, the PX200s don't improve much with an amp. The E3s would benefit more from an amp than the PX200s do. I really like my E3s for the isolation they provide, for sound quality alone they aren't that much better than the PX200s.

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 19
Er4P + Xin supermini w/ built-in P to S converter (less microphonics/occlusion due to braided cable) or ER4S + Xin super****. Good stuff.

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
I'd support your choice of the E3s, but I'm afraid that others on this board...*ahem* commando...will then tell you they suck so I will refrain from recommending any specific pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
Try before you buy, or make sure you can return them. Seems everyone knows what I think so i'll not repeat myself.

When I had the E3s I them from my PC and from my pimeta, there was no difference I could hear.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 19
With the choices you gave, it seems like getting the E3's would be the best choice, definitely. But, there's a but, of course - it sounds like a near consensus is forming around the Ety ER6i's. Maybe you would benefit from giving them a look...

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 19
My friend is buying the 6i soon, so hopefully I'll be able to give them a try and see for myself how it stacks up against the E3. I wonder if they'll make me disappointed with my E5s?

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
My friend is buying the 6i soon, so hopefully I'll be able to give them a try and see for myself how it stacks up against the E3. I wonder if they'll make me disappointed with my E5s?

Not to veer off the thread subject, but...
smily_headphones1.gif

It looks like the jury's still somewhat out on this comparison (E3/ER6i), but a good number of people have stated that they find the E3 treble a bit harsh, whereas the reviews of the 6i that I've read make it sound pretty balanced. As far as it making you disappointed with your E5's... it looks, from your sig, like you like bass, so I doubt the Ety's could hang there...

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge
Been quite a while since I've posted here. I lurk every now and again and there's always good info to be found here.

Anyway my question is fairly straightforward. I have a Rio Karma with Sennheiser PX200 headphones. Which would be a more worthwhile upgrade: Shure E3's or a Xin SuperDual/Mono/TurboAlphaEX (
biggrin.gif
) amplifier?

i tried the e3s and they sucked, get an amp and a pair of etys instead.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 19
The Shure headphones are supposed to be pretty colored. I'd consider the amp, but probably the best bet would be to just get a new pair of headphones and amp when you have about $500 packed away. I can fathom spending half a grand on phones/amp for a digital player; some of the new digital players are capable of sounding really darned good if you have the right associated equipment.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 19
I'd say hold out about a month until some more reviews of the er6i appear. I say this because it seems that every new headphone is praised at first and then criticized later. It happened with the eggos, it happened with the e3s, and I'm betting that it'll happen with the er6i too.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
How could it be harsh when it's barely present? I found it very soft and rolled off.

Just repeating what I've read - I've never heard them. So, again, let it be known my comments should be taken in that context.

And Tenaciouso has some good advice there, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back