Which Ultrasone for my HomeStudio ?
Jan 19, 2005 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sanatik

New Head-Fier
I want to buy one ultrasone headphone for my HomeStudio. I did hear the hfi 650 last year but couldn´t buy it ( no money ). Did look at theire website 2 days ago and recognize the ProLine models. Did analayze their specs and think that the hfi 650 and the ProLine 650 must have the same driver ( but the ProLine goes down till 10 Hz ).

After i did read very good reviews about the ProLine 750 & 2500 i have to decide between 5 headphones.

Sometimes I have to use them for soundcreating & mixing ( electronic music - a lot of virtual synths & some vocals but don´t record them my self ) when i can´t use my monitors. Later i will mixdown the track with my monitors.

closed
HFI 650 = 159 €
ProLine 650 = 229 €
ProLine 750 = 299 €

open
HFI 2200 ULE = 219 €
ProLine 2300 = 299 €

I want to buy two models first and will send back one of them after hearing both. Which one would be the best for my Studio ? Are the 750 & 2300 are worth the extra money ( gold vs. titan ) ?

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 13
Nobody there with ultrasones ?

Would you prefere an open or closed headphone as the most neutral ultrasone and are the proline 750 / 2500 much more better ( for my studio ) than the the rest and worth the extra money ?

thx

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi sanatik, I don't see many people posting about any of the new Ultrasones here. Some folks have experience with the Trackmaster series, I believe 650 and 700, but other than that, there is not much discussion about Ultrasones.

I suspect (but this is just my guess) that the open models will give you a more neutral sound. The closed Ultrasones I've tried are prone to a reverb type thing that can be distracting. Of course, this comes at a price if you are planning to use them for monitoring purposes because the closed cans obviously provide more isolation.

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 13
thx answering

i will phone with ultrasone that i first get two ultrasones and can send back one later.

When you say that the open ones would be more neutral than the closed ones, i would choose between hfi 2200 and proline 2500.

Will report my experiences with both here later.

bye

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 13
i could almost give you advice, my hfi650 dvd (aka hfi700) are still waiting for my dad to bring them down from singapore.

i will say i love my hfi500 dj1's though. ultrasones seem to have "character" that takes some getting used to, but once you do, you don't want to turn back
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 13
nice to hear - thx

did hear the hfi 650 a time ago but had not enough money, but now i can buy one
cool.gif

Problem is that no dealer have those ultrasones and i have to buy them to hear. So it is difficult to choose which one
rolleyes.gif
but i think when the open ones are the most neutral cans i have only the choice between two phones. Will buy the 2200 & 2500 end this month and send one back
smily_headphones1.gif

PS:

i see that you are using the KRK RP 8´s
Would you recommend them for a 5x2,5 meter room ?
I have to decide between wharfedale pro diamond 8.2 aktive & KRK rokit but only did hear the wharfedales till now and want to use one of them later with an subwoofer ( like KRK RP 10 ). Better to go with an 8´´ woofer ( rp 8 ) ?

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 13
most definitely, theyre more then enough for my 4x3m room. they have a slightly extended low end response, but not like behringers or tapcos or anything else in their price bracket. the next best sounding monitors i tried (i spent 12+ hrs in my shops listening booth) were the krk v6's which cost over 50% more then the rp8s. i think i liked the rp5 sound the best tbh but it didnt push enough volume for me considering i move the rp8's to my dj studio often and speakers get destroyed in there.

i got my hfi650 dvd's to use as a studio can, but i also got my k240s for studio use too. i love my akg's and i have a feeling their response is more similar to the rp8's then the ultrasones, but i will see when the ultrasones get here
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 13
thx for the infos saínt.panda --> after reading i would go with the 2500 ( same as 750 but open ). Did write to ultrasone two days ago and get an answer today. They told that if i can work with an open one it would be the better choice for me. So i have to decide between HFI 2200 ULE & ProLine 2500 now and will buy both to send back one later back. I will tell may desicion here.

@ skyskraper

i will hear the krk´s too next week, but untill now my favourites are the 8.2 wharfis. thx for answer.

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 13
thanx for the review link saint.panda

taymat recommend the 2500 er more for soundengineers, but find the 2200 er the better ultrasone. I will here both in februar and will decide.

@ chrisk

thx for the link. I will ask them.

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanatik
I want to buy one ultrasone headphone for my HomeStudio. I did hear the hfi 650 last year but couldn´t buy it ( no money ). Did look at theire website 2 days ago and recognize the ProLine models. Did analayze their specs and think that the hfi 650 and the ProLine 650 must have the same driver ( but the ProLine goes down till 10 Hz ).

After i did read very good reviews about the ProLine 750 & 2500 i have to decide between 5 headphones.

Sometimes I have to use them for soundcreating & mixing ( electronic music - a lot of virtual synths & some vocals but don´t record them my self ) when i can´t use my monitors. Later i will mixdown the track with my monitors.

closed
HFI 650 = 159 €
ProLine 650 = 229 €
ProLine 750 = 299 €

open
HFI 2200 ULE = 219 €
ProLine 2300 = 299 €

I want to buy two models first and will send back one of them after hearing both. Which one would be the best for my Studio ? Are the 750 & 2300 are worth the extra money ( gold vs. titan ) ?

i love my 750's - i got them specifically for studio work - and especially for home studio, you should consider closed headphones - so they don't leak into your recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back