Which tube amp for the SA5000?
Jan 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got some Sony SA5000 headphones. I currently have an X-Can V3 amp running stock. I was hoping to get someone to do the pink floyd mods on it for me in Sydney but have had no luck finding someone. So I thought maybe I should sell it and put the extra into getting a WA6. However reading the various threads on the Woo amps presents the problem that the WA6 is recommended for low impedance phones such as the SA5000 however it is often described as very solid state sounding. The WA3 sounds a better match sonically but is not recommended for low impedance phones. Would using an impedance adapter (like the Ety P to S) with a WA3 make it better able to drive the lower impedance SA5000s?

So here are my options:

1. Buy the Russian 6H23P tubes from Rock Grotto and leave the X-Can unmodified for now and keep looking for a modder $60

2. Sell the X-Can and get a WA6 $620

3. Sell the X-Can and get a WA3 + impednace adapter $560

3. Sell the X-Can and get a different tube amp that is both good with low and high impedance phones AND has plenty of the elusive 'tube magic' for around he same price as the WA6 ($6-700).

So i'm interested in opinions taking into account both pairing with the SA5000s (sonically and power-wise) and bang for buck.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 3

Head-fi has changed a lot since you signed up! Now it's all about 2 things, overpriced flagships and bargain FOTM's, neither of which the SA5Ks fall under. Perhaps peoples reactions are, what is a SA5000? ... a tube amp, do you live on a submarine?

I can't really answer your question as I haven't heard either WA amp, however I have heard the SA's from a Single Power SLAM and Meier Headfive and my impression was that they sounded almost identical. More recently I have heard them on a Zero and a Darkvoice 336i and can tell you they sound unbelievable with the Darkvoice, so much so I'm thinking of buying them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back