Which to choose out of these 6?
Mar 25, 2007 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wrecked_porsche

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm new here, my first post. Great forum you guys have going on here, its packed with info from very knowledgeable members. I hope to learn a thing or two from you guys.
lambda.gif

I'm looking for some new headphones, I have a few listed below, please help me decide. I've been reading these forums for more than 6 hours already and I keep going in circles. Soo many models to choose from...
blink.gif

Well, first let me say that the headphone I choose is not going to be used with an amp since I don't have one. I'll be playing music from my Creative MuVo2 and my Sony Ericsson K750i. I might buy an amp in the future, but not now. I want to spend money on some good headphones. I currently use a Philips SHE9500. Maybe at the end of the year I'll get the amp after saving up.

In order to give the right suggestions, let me state what is important to me. My priorities are clear and strong mids and punchy bass. It has to give me that oomph and punch while still being able to very clearly hear the pianos/violin and electronics from the mids. I don't really care for the highs. Just a little will do.
Listen to The Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch (Eifel 65 Mix) or Conjure One to get and idea of what I mean.

I listen to mostly Dance/Trance/Techno/Electronic/Hip Hop/Pop/New Age and occasionally some instrumental music.

Examples of a few songs I listen to:
Conjure One - Tears From the Moon
Conjure One - Extraordinary Ways
Vinylshakerz - One Night In Bangkok
Benny Banassi - California Dreaming
Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
The Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch (Eifel 65 Mix)

The headphones I have in mind are:

Sennheiser HD212 Pro
AKG K81DJ (discontinued, now K518 DJ)
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5
Panasonic RP-HTX7
Sennheiser HD25 SP

Now here is what I think.

The Senn HD212 might be good, but I've seen mixed complaints that the bass is too strong(which I think is good) which results in the mids being drowned out(not good). So, I'm afraid to get the Senn HD212.

The AKG K81DJ, seems to be popular around here, but I'm afraid of the same thing as the Senn HD212... How is the K518 instead?
The reason I wanna upgrade from the Philips SHE9500 is because of this; the bass is strong and nice, but the mids don't quite come off as strong. Also the bass, mid and highs don't sound separated enough... Makes sense? Or am I rambling?
confused.gif
blink.gif

I'm leaning towards the two Audio-Technicas, however I have a question, I know the ATH-ES7 has the bling factor, but is it really that much better than the ATH-SJ5 in terms of sound?
basshead.gif

The Panasonic may be too bright for my liking, the HD25 SP I'm undecided.

So, PLEASE, PLEASE help me!! Especially about the Audio-Technica thingy. I can afford either one, but I'm not one to blow money away just because I can, I much rather prefer to spend wisely. I hope you guys get what I mean. Please help me make the smarter choice.

Oh, BTW, I'll be using this mostly in the library or at home only, my budget is $US 150.

I am a
basshead.gif
just so you guys know. But I do occasionally switch to calm songs when I’m not in the mood for bass.

Last but not least, I want to thank you guys in advance; THANK YOU sooo much for all the help and input.

~
basshead.gif
~

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 19
People who have owned both the SJ5 and the ES7 have said that the ES7 is well worth the price in comparison.

The ES7 is absolutely fantastic in all regards. Save perhaps that it would probably easily scratch, it truly defines my perception of an ideal portable headphone.

With Block-Rockin Beats, the vocals sound very real. The drums are well-done and defined, and the cymbals are pleasantly presented and well-handled with a bit of soft presentation. The bass is really heavy and a little unrefined around the edges but I wouldn't say it's bloated or muddy. Very edgy overall.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the reply. After reading the forums for another 5 hours(there goes my whole Sunday), I've narrowed it down to just 3:

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5
Sennheiser HD25 SP

However since you said the price difference between both the AT models is justified, then I think I'll get the ES7 then. I've done some reading and found out that the Sennheiser HD25 SP is quite rubbish compared to the Sennheiser HD25-1, however the Sennheiser HD25-1 is kinda out of my budget. So I guess I'll have to settle for the ES7 then. Also the AT ES7 has better mids compared to the Senn HD25-1 from what I've read.

Any other input/suggestions?

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Check out the beyerdynamic dt770's for your music styles, loads of bass.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Um... Well, uh, I know the DT770/80 is very good but that's a "little" out of my price range... too expensive. Max I'm gonna spend is US$ 150. This is gonna be my first expensive headphone. Man, this site is bad for me... LOL... I was planning on spending about US$ 50 but after I read this forum I upped it to US$ 100 and now US$ 150 for the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7.... (My dad is gonna kill me when he finds out how much I'm spending for a pair of cans)
I can't afford the DT770/80 ... Maybe next round...
basshead.gif

Unless you know a place that has the DT770/80 for US$ 150 ... Inclusive of shipping to Malaysia.
lambda.gif

Damn, I need better self control...
icon10.gif

Sennheiser HD555 ---> How does this compare to the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7? Any good?

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 19
Well I imagine you wouldn't want DT770's due to their mids, but they're very close to being within your price range. Bought off the FS forums here, you'd get it inside your price range.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 19
Once again, gonna butt into an advice thread and say, if you like closed cans, plenty of bass, and want your mids to be crystal clear, and don't want to spend a fortune, go find a dealer and audition a pair of Equation RP-21's. You may be quite surprised.

fwiw i don't find the DT-770 mids to be all *that recessed, but but the RP-21 is a much cheaper set of closed cans with better mids. Almost liquid.

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 19
If it weren't for the question of the bass, the Alessandro MS-1 would be an excellent choice. But the bass of the MS-1 is more accurate and precise, and punchy enough to satisfy all but a real basshead.
smily_headphones1.gif
But would fall short for this application.

The price is right and the music types listed fit quite well also, and the lack of an amp is no problem either and they sounded great out of my wifes old MuVo. Other than the bass not hitting deeply enough, the other parts of the frequency spectrum are quite accurately portrayed with no obvious holes or exagerated areas.

...at least in my humble opinion.

They are addictive though.

EDIT: Uh oh; I just noticed the part about the library. Never mind.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 19
@EricJ, I just googled the Equation RP-21's... Nice, I like the orange ones... Oh NO! You just made my life that much more difficult... Why oh why did you have to show me these?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Well I just checked the dealers list, sadly the closest dealer is in Indonesia, I'm in Malaysia. So I guess I won't have a chance to get these then. I might email then tmr and see what they say.
So, these produce good bass and mids?

@F107plus5, I am under the impression that the MS-1 is good at mids and highs... to me, I fear that it will produce sissyfied audio... Might be too bright for my liking. I'm a diehard
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Its about the same price as the ES7 though, and I never gave it much thought.... Problem is they are open, a big NO NO in the library.
blink.gif

Open cans on my next round maybe?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The only problem I fear with the ES7 is they are supraaural and not circumaural... I'm afraid they'd be uncomfortable...

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 19
It all boils down to your budget pal. How much you are willing to spend.
Sennheiser HD25 SP would be a good choice considering mobile usage.
Can be carried anywhere and provides good isolation/attenuation.
Try before you buy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back