Which tips with your E500's? POLL
Oct 20, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #32 of 57
Do you have to combine the scores of all flex tips (all similar) to compare to the score of the foamies?

If so, then it's about 50 / 50 - isn't it???

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
If you want foam that goes deeper in your ear try the short and standard Complys and see what you prefer. I like the short ones. Trust me Complys seal better than the yelllow foamies and last longer as well.

Seconded. Are the short ones just as thick? Do they isolate just as well? I'm using standard Comply tips atm and just ordered a Comply test "kit" which has all three sizes. I'm finding the standard size just slightly too long (still comfortable and usable). How much shorter is the short version?

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Seconded. Are the short ones just as thick? Do they isolate just as well? I'm using standard Comply tips atm and just ordered a Comply test "kit" which has all three sizes. I'm finding the standard size just slightly too long (still comfortable and usable). How much shorter is the short version?

Yes, yes, and about 2/3 as short.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Yes, yes, and about 2/3 as short.

That was succinct. Thanks. I think I'll get some vertically challenged Comply foam tips then.

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #36 of 57
If you compare the short Comply tips to the yellow foamies they look about the same length, but the short Complys stay in your ears better. The yellow foamies tend to compress much once in and they don't hold the earpieces in as well to me.

Oct 21, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #37 of 57
Since getting the E500s sometime in August, I hadn't been totally happy with them fit-wise, after trying just about every tip included with them. The small soft sleeves were too small, the large ones way too large, and the medium ones just seemed to work themselves loose in my ears after a while, which is the same problem I had with the foamies. The tri-flanges were simply too long for my ears and I couldn't even get them in properly. But then, after reading this thread, I decided to modify the tri-flanges at both ends - cutting off part of the stem and the top flange. Eureka! At last, I've found the fit and the sound I've been wanting. Head-fi rocks.

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #38 of 57
Since I've had my e500's I've primarily used the med. grey tips that came already on them. I tried the tri-flange, but I couldn't for the life of me get a proper seal so I just stood with the med. grey tips.

After reading this thread, I ordered some of the longer comply tips (thinking of ordering the shorts later), and I'm curious about how some of you are modding the tri-flange tips. I want to make sure I'm getting this right; you trim a portion of the stem, AND you remove the top (third) flange completely? Does it matter how much of the stem you trim off?

I'm using the foamies now, and the highs really are coming out now. They seem to be a little more 'upfront'....not as much as the mids, but defninitely more prevalent....more detailed possibly. The bass seems different too....it's hard to decribe now, but it's a definite improvement. The thing I don't like about the foamies is they seem to feel 'flimsy'. It's as if I'm going to 'tear' off the foam from the center tubing when I insert them in my ear. I think the flimsiness comes also because I feel the plastic tubing much more too.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #39 of 57
The Complys don't feel as flimsy. Try them. They do cost more though.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Anyone tried "RoadRunner Audio PFT Premium Foam Replacement Tips"?

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/roaupfprfore.html

$26 (10 pairs) vs $18 (P750, 10 pairs) vs $35 (Comply, 10 pairs)

The Comply tips are so expensive. Do they actually last longer (ie retain elasticity) than the normal Shure foamies?

Thanks for the tip about these tips! I've ordered some of the PFT and Comply tips. I'll report back here at a later date.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #41 of 57
Virtually every pro review of the Shure IEMs claims the best sound is obtained with the triflanges yet here the overwhelming preference seems to be for the "foamies". Maybe some of you guys who voted this way could elaborate? Is it sound quality, comfort or a combination of the 2 that gives the foamies the edge?

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier
Virtually every pro review of the Shure IEMs claims the best sound is obtained with the triflanges yet here the overwhelming preference seems to be for the "foamies". Maybe some of you guys who voted this way could elaborate? Is it sound quality, comfort or a combination of the 2 that gives the foamies the edge?

I don't really notice a sound quality difference between the tri-flange and the foamies, as long as the tri-flanges are in far enough. But for me the foamies are FAR more comfortable, and even with the tri-flanges I have a hard time mainitaining a proper seal and still having them be comfortable.

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #43 of 57
Anyone have these tips? I never see any talk about them, and maybe I got them on accident? They are the ones that were on the IEMs when I opened the box. They are black and squishy. They are also softer than the yellow foamies.

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #44 of 57
I got them too. Those are the newest foams of Shure, available in some months
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #45 of 57
They are my fav tips right now. I've had my shures for a few days, and still trying tips. They are extremely comfortable and sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back