Which tiny, powered speakers?
Jan 30, 2023 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Once in a while I need to do a web call and my new cam has a microphone but I have no PC speakers.

I don't need USB speakers necessarily since I have a few DACs on the desk. Speakers with coax input would be preferable.

Can anybody recommend tiny speakers that will sound ok for voice calls that won't take up much desk space?

Thank you.

P.S. Please, no scamazon links :D

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 13
how about a mini soundbar under your monitor?

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 13
I have a Polk Audio MagniFi Mini AX. You have probably seen it in my post on PC rigs. But I think its large (+ sub) and over budget. But these soundbars usually they have usb and some may have toslink as inputs. But none have I encountered w/ spdif/coax.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I can't get Polk over here as far as I know and I don't want speakers for music, just for web calls. I'll see what soundbars are available. Thank you.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 13
If you’re interested in Bluetooth, Logitech x50 and x100 are very good. (Also have a coax in).

I actually found expensive Bluetooth speakers to sound bad (just sound loud and use quite aggressive dsp). Apparently Sony also has a decent budget portable speaker but forgot the name (sbs or something).

I wish there was a scl6 compatible speaker out soon.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 13
how about a mini soundbar under your monitor?
Thank you, @m-i-c-k-e-y for the usual good suggestion :)

In the end I got a tiny Dell soundbar. Unfortunately the mounting lugs don't work with my Dell monitor. It was not listed as compatible so I took a chance based on the comments that the item had on the website, many positive comments about the audio quality. It's lying on top of the monitor base and works fine that way.

The audio is perfect for speech and it is basically invisible, meets my goals. Thank you!

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 13
You are based in europe...I listened to a lot of small active speakers for my living room. Adam's, Genelec and for me Abacus took the cake. Technical yet musical sound without any harshness. They had best bass in smallest form as well

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 13
You are based in europe...I listened to a lot of small active speakers for my living room. Adam's, Genelec and for me Abacus took the cake. Technical yet musical sound without any harshness. They had best bass in smallest form as well
I didn't want speakers for music though, I wanted something just for calls and youtube.

May 2, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Genelec 8010A FTW.
Hah those are cute, but giant compared to what I got and also totally inappropriate for the use case. Please read upwards :wink:

P.S. I can't imagine why anybody buys speakers ported to the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back