Which "The Who" greastest Hits to get.
Nov 22, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

The Who as a band went ****-up after Who's Next.

Yeah, Quadrophenia and Who By Numbers really sucked.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Check out the 2CD set Ultimate Collection. One CD alone won't do the band justice.

Nov 22, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 22
I second the suggestion for the 2 disc Ultimate Collection. I have it and really love it. It definately gives everything a casual The Who fan as myself would want, and doesn't seem to leave anything else out. Unless I was going to get their entire catalog, I would be perfectly fine with this collection and maybe a live CD and DVD, which I plan to get. Any suggestions for live shows?

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB06
I second the suggestion for the 2 disc Ultimate Collection. I have it and really love it. It definately gives everything a casual The Who fan as myself would want, and doesn't seem to leave anything else out. Unless I was going to get their entire catalog, I would be perfectly fine with this collection and maybe a live CD and DVD, which I plan to get. Any suggestions for live shows?

Live at Leeds and The Kids are Alright for live shows. Both are available cheap.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 22
Since a lot of their good stuff is very "album"-oriented, you'd be better off picking up one of their actual albums instead of a compilation imo. I started with Tommy and then went on to get leeds, quadro and who's next and in many ways, Tommy is still my favorite.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 22
3rd on the Ultimate Collection, mostly for the 2nd disk, and 'Bargain' on the first, as the older stuff still suffers from some wretched source tape (IMHO). I also have the digital remaster of 'Who's Next', which has a 2nd disk of live material from around the time the studio versions were cut, and some alternate takes.

Wierdly enough, I also really like the digital remaster of 'Who's Are You' as well.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by stolencar
Live at Leeds and The Kids are Alright for live shows. Both are available cheap.

There is also a 2cd set of Live at Leeds which is even better than the original release cos it has a lot more on it.

Ian

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 22
"kids are alright" and "live at leeds deluxe" (which contains a lot of early "tommy" songs) for good live and early material. "quadraphenia" and "who's next" for later album stuff. "sparks" on "kids" is probably the hardest rocking song the who have on record. "leeds" is just essential, regardless if you are a who fan or not. it is a must-own recording, period.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Yeah, Quadrophenia and Who By Numbers really sucked.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Check out the 2CD set Ultimate Collection. One CD alone won't do the band justice.

Quadrophenia is a fairly stong album but Who By Numbers does kind of suck.It is so melodically uninvolving.Still better than what came later.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 22
Who By Numbers is my second favorite Who album (next to Who's Next). No hits, but it's all about grown-up problems/life. It's not fantasy like the over-rated Tommy or nostalgia like Quadrophenia. Good stuff.

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 22
To me, "How Many Friends' is probably Pete's most honest song - and damn near universal. Unfortunately, 'By Numbers' was so overshadowed by the Quadrophenia hangover, and VERY difficult at the time to transition into... and without the monstrous bookends from 'WN' or the sheer volume of 'Quad', it certainly plays better now (in my late 40s) than it did when I was 19 (when released).

Still, comparatively, Pete's variety of abuses at the time took a toll on his creative output.

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 22
For a one disc sampler, you might try the good old fashioned "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" which was (I believe) their first attempt at a Greatest Hits. A lot ot The Who discs are available at www.yourmusic.com for $5.99 per disc to your door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back