WHICH STAX 007 TO BUY?
Oct 25, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #121 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mk2 is no slouch but it can be so much better.
bigsmile_face.gif
They do work better with the 007t then the Mk1 which can be a plus for some.

So, with Mk1 even worse? IMHO the Ω2II don't work satisfying enough with the 007tA/II to justify it's price. I miss the dynamics, drive and power very much. Actually, the small 323A/II is better there. Perhaps the 007tA/II gets better with other tubes?

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #122 of 144
Different tubes will not give the amp more power so while they change the sound it's more of a change in detail levels and tonality. With the 007tII/A also comes the problem that some of the amps have 8CG7 tubes fitted which use a different filament voltage then the standard 6CG7.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #123 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different tubes will not give the amp more power so while they change the sound it's more of a change in detail levels and tonality. With the 007tII/A also comes the problem that some of the amps have 8CG7 tubes fitted which use a different filament voltage then the standard 6CG7.

Aha, interesting, another Stax queerness. Is it worth examining the installed tubes and eventually swapping them?

The other is: when pressing slightly on the earcups of my Mk2 / SR-007A they DO fart.
So I don't get the point what should be missing? Are the Mk1 / SR-007 farting always then?
Did Stax introduce a secret deconstrucion of the holes in the running production?
This was at least commented by a German Stax vendor, but only relating to the German models.
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #124 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other is: when pressing slightly on the earcups of my Mk2 / SR-007A they DO fart.
So I don't get the point what should be missing? Are the Mk1 / SR-007 farting always then?
Did Stax introduce a secret deconstrucion of the holes in the running production?
This was at least commented by a German Stax vendor, but only relating to the German models.
confused_face(1).gif

I have noticed this with mine too. The fart is not as pronounced as with other sealed Stax phones, such as the 404 but is still there. It seems as if the vent is only a partial vent i.e. it provides a slow release of air but is not either fully open or fully sealed. Not everyone reports this and I wonder if Stax is making mods to the 007A without telling anyone?

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #125 of 144
The MK2 farts only when you press hard against the sides. It farts just as much as the MK1 after performing spritzer's mod.

Oct 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #126 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha, interesting, another Stax queerness. Is it worth examining the installed tubes and eventually swapping them?

confused_face(1).gif

If your amp has 6CG7's then they are either EI or EH so some Japanese NOS tubes would be a nice improvement. You do need a matched quad (with the two sections of each tube matched as well) and need to set the tube bias for the new set. If your amp has 8CG7's then they are NOS (since they are no longer made) and it is very hard to find any NOS tubes.

If you touch the Mk1, move your head a bit to fast or even look at them wrong they will squeal but you need to force the Mk2/A to do the same thing. When Stax made a new cable entry they added a small opening so the inside of the drivers could let air out and killed the bass extension in the process. In the picture below you can see the two phones side by side. On the Mk1 there is a small piece of resin that fits in the recess in the driver, above the cable entry, but this is left open on the Mk2/A.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed this with mine too. The fart is not as pronounced as with other sealed Stax phones, such as the 404 but is still there. It seems as if the vent is only a partial vent i.e. it provides a slow release of air but is not either fully open or fully sealed. Not everyone reports this and I wonder if Stax is making mods to the 007A without telling anyone?

The only way to know is for you to remove the earpads...
devil_face.gif
I do hope that they changed it but it was the midrange that bothered me more and then they would have to change the earpad design... which isn't likely to happen.
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #128 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those two Stax headphones better than most dynamic systems ?

Yes, and they are always balanced and need no recabling from single-ended.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #129 of 144
Quote:

Are those two Stax headphones better than most dynamic systems ?

Indeed! No question...
o2smile.gif

Depend who you ask if they are "better" than all dynamic headphones though, since we all have different preferences.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #131 of 144
Quote:

Better than your AKG K-1000 setup ?

Q not directed to me, but I'll chime in anyway.
biggrin.gif
The K1K setup out of the TTVJ Millett at CanJam kicked some ass. To me, it compared favorably to some of the Stax rigs I have heard. But I still think the O2 + the right amp sounds better (to me) than dynamics. Hell, right now the Lambda Signature is my favorite headphone of all time.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #132 of 144
Quote:

Better than your AKG K-1000 setup ?

Note that I have never heard the SR-007A, only the SR-007(BL).
But imo the SR-007 (driven by the SRM-007t) are overall in the lead of my K1000 setup. They both have their pro's and con's, but the SR-007 have a couple more pro's and fewer con's than the K1000.

They are both stunning headphones/setups though.
k1000smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #133 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that I have never heard the SR-007A, only the SR-007(BL).
But imo the SR-007 (driven by the SRM-007t) are overall in the lead of my K1000 setup. They both have their pro's and con's, but the SR-007 have a couple more pro's and fewer con's than the K1000.

They are both stunning headphones/setups though.
k1000smile.gif
o2smile.gif

I have been curious about the K1000 for some time. Am I correct that they give a similar sound projection to the old Stax Sigmas (low bias, pro or 404 version?) They would seem to project the sound past the ears in a similar fashion so that there is no sound blasted directly into the ear canal.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #134 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been curious about the K1000 for some time. Am I correct that they give a similar sound projection to the old Stax Sigmas (low bias, pro or 404 version?) They would seem to project the sound past the ears in a similar fashion so that there is no sound blasted directly into the ear canal.

I have never heard the SR-Sigma (Pro), so don't know how if they are similar. Depending on how much you swivel the K1000 it can have a really wide sound stage. The more you swivel them the wider the sound stage gets, and the more bass roll-off you get. A swivel offset of 2-3cm seems to be the ideal for my taste.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #135 of 144
Quick question: which O2s are more flexible in different genres of music? I listen to 60% rock, classic rock, prog rock, and 40% classical. It would be nice to find a pair of electrostats that do both genres fairly well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back