Which Speakers for my new Tube Stereo
Dec 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kawai_man

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone I just got a Musical Paradise Mp-301 tube amp, right now Im using some Paradigm Titans with it and they sound ok but I feel like sometimes the sound is kinda far away or soft and I have to turn the volume up to bring the sound more forward. I think this is due to the titans having only 88DB of sensitivity , I read that low wattage tube amps need high sensitivity speakers? About what should the sensitivty of the speakers be?

My budget is ~200 Im planning to buy used on ebay or craigslist and ill be using them in my room for watching music and movies on my computer. I will mostly be listening at low to medium volumes.

heres the specs of the amp just incase. thanks

Specifications:
Model MP-301
Tubes 6P6P(6V6) x 2, 6J1 x 2
Topology Class-A Single Ended
Output Power (RMS) 4.5W x 2
Output impedance 4 - 8 ohms
Frequency Response 20Hz - 25Khz
T.H.D 2% (1Khz)
S.N.R 90db
AC Input 100-110V / 220-240V 50-60Hz Worldwide Use
Weight 5.2KG
Dimension 24cm x 14cm x 14cm (L x W x H)

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Seeing that you're in Burbank, a lot of used ESS AMT speakers tend to turn up around here. I paid $300 for a pair of AMT-1s, which might be a little over your budget, but they're wonderful speakers. The bass ain't perfect, but you can upgrade them. I found a nice pair of woofers for $80. The AMT drivers, however, still hang with the best. It's a surprise that AMTs aren't more sought after.

The beauty of these speakers is that they're quite sensitive. Before my parents carted them off (they really needed new speakers), I ran them from the 3W Moth and got room-filling sound.

If you can't find an AMT or want to try something else, look into rolling your own Voigt Pipes with a pair of Fostex singledrivers. You can get them from Madisound, but Sound City USA is right by you and they're terrific. I bought my Cicada drivers there and a few other odds and ends.

They'll cost more, but you can also consider various horns. A used Klipsch La Scala is outside your budget (typically $800-$1,200 used) but your amp will do a great job driving them.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by shabd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
90dbs and above. For your 4 watter the best bet will be a single driver like 4" fostex w/ aound 92-93 db. Size of room will also be a factor. Good luck!

Ill take that into consideration while Im looking for speakers.

M room is about 13x15 but the speakers wll be about 2-3 ft away from me most of the time, except when maybe Im watching a movie then like 5-10 feet away

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing that you're in Burbank, a lot of used ESS AMT speakers tend to turn up around here. I paid $300 for a pair of AMT-1s, which might be a little over your budget, but they're wonderful speakers. The bass ain't perfect, but you can upgrade them. I found a nice pair of woofers for $80. The AMT drivers, however, still hang with the best. It's a surprise that AMTs aren't more sought after.

The beauty of these speakers is that they're quite sensitive. Before my parents carted them off (they really needed new speakers), I ran them from the 3W Moth and got room-filling sound.

If you can't find an AMT or want to try something else, look into rolling your own Voigt Pipes with a pair of Fostex singledrivers. You can get them from Madisound, but Sound City USA is right by you and they're terrific. I bought my Cicada drivers there and a few other odds and ends.

They'll cost more, but you can also consider various horns. A used Klipsch La Scala is outside your budget (typically $800-$1,200 used) but your amp will do a great job driving them.

Ill check craigslist

I would love to DIY some speakers but right now I dont have the time otherwise id definitely consider going that route. Also id like to try various speakers so I would like to be able to sell them without a big loss.

Lately Ive been considering some lower budget Klipsch monitor speakers because they all seem to have high sensitivity rating and Im interested in hearing how the horns will sound with my tube amp.

btw right Im just looking or some relatively small bookshelf or monitor speakers and at the moment Im not planning on using a sub (I dont think I can even use one with my amp)

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 7
I ended up getting some Klipsch synergy B3 bookshelf speakers they are on sale for 179 shipped at vanns.com, a used set just sold for 150 on ebay so I just went ahead and bought new ones, I hope I like them.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 7
If you can, I'd cancel that order. The Synergy line from Klipsch is pretty disappointing and the Reference line can be had for only a little more cash. I used to own the RB25s and they are great entry level bookshelves; if you wait for a pair to come up, they can be had for under $200.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Tekton Designs makes some excellent speakers that use Fostex drivers. They're over your budget but you may be able to find a pair used. I've been keeping my eye on this speaker for use with some of my low wattage amps:

products

Users who are viewing this thread

Back