Which sound card would you choose?
Mar 15, 2008 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

htsource

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering for headphone listening, which sound card is better among these:

AuzenTech Prelude
RME 96/8 PAD
M-Audio DAO 24/96

I'll only be interested in music listening so no games.

Thanks for your inputs.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 13
If you can find it, the Audiotrac Prodigy HD2 is a great soundcard for 2-channel listening.

A good review of this card can be read here: Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 Gold Sound Card

The only website I could find in the US was Florida Music Company, for $75. It was back ordered for three months, I just finally got it in the mail a couple of days ago. It does sound great.

The HD2 features one of the best DACs out there.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Why are you getting a high price sound card if you aren't playing games? Why not get an external dac?

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you getting a high price sound card if you aren't playing games? Why not get an external dac?

I agree, wouldn't a external DAC be better?

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 13
ESI Juli@ or E-MU 1212m if you want completely internal

E-MU 0404 USB if don't mind a USB solution

Getting an external DAC is also a good idea, but you would still need a way to get the digital signal out to the DAC. Maybe it would be better to invest in a sound card that is known to provide bit-perfect digital out, and then look for a good external DAC later.

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 13
Thank guys, sounds like external amp is more favorable. Currently I have a SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro (the one with the big external breakout box). I do have the M-Audio 24/96 but it's not installed yet - just pulled from another PC of mine.

I was just curious to know if RME and Prelude would be a step up. Assuming my X-Fi Elite can do bit-perfect out (I think it does), what DAC/amp do you recommend?

I have Rega Ear amp, while I like it with my Sennheiser 590's, it's too bright when I connect my 650's. I just got a pair of 650's about a week ago.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 13
The problem of X-Fi Elite Pro is it has crappy capacitors and opamps. It has good DACs, but the signal still suffers due to other crappy components in the signal path.

My advice, assuming that you are not going to use it for multichannel movie/games or even multichannel music, don't waste your money on Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. Look for audiophile grade 2 channel soundcards such as emu-0404, esi julia, or other brands such as audiotrek prodigy, or m-audio (forgot the names). If you need to use it for multichannel output, try to get auzentech x-meridian, it is already out of production.

and also, try to focus on the components used, swappable opamps even better.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 13
m-audio audiophile 2496 and audiophile 192 are the m-audio boards to look at, for stereo output

x-fi prelude is a great board, pricey though, and like hyyam said, not worth it for stereo output (unless its your only choice, or you love EAX)

x-meridian is just unreal quality, a comparable board is the HT Omega Claro Plus (roughly the same board, in terms of features/specs, meridian is a touch better, but claro plus is quite good)

Asus' Xonar D2X (not the D2, the D2X) has great figures, comparable with the Prelude and X-Fi Elite, as well as better support under Vista, but its PCIe (this may or may not be good for you)

Elite Pro on its own, is just overpriced for what it offers, basically

and the prodigy's proper name (seen it like 4 different ways in this thread alone):

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2

and its around $80 (and very hard to find in the US)

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
m-audio audiophile 2496 and audiophile 192 are the m-audio boards to look at, for stereo output

x-fi prelude is a great board, pricey though, and like hyyam said, not worth it for stereo output (unless its your only choice, or you love EAX)

x-meridian is just unreal quality, a comparable board is the HT Omega Claro Plus (roughly the same board, in terms of features/specs, meridian is a touch better, but claro plus is quite good)

Asus' Xonar D2X (not the D2, the D2X) has great figures, comparable with the Prelude and X-Fi Elite, as well as better support under Vista, but its PCIe (this may or may not be good for you)

Elite Pro on its own, is just overpriced for what it offers, basically

and the prodigy's proper name (seen it like 4 different ways in this thread alone):

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2

and its around $80 (and very hard to find in the US)

I just got the D2, because it was (here) 30ukp cheaper than the D2X. I emailed Asus to ask them if besides the PCi-X interface it was any different (the D2X) and they emailed me back, with a resounding no, and that new features are present in both cards (like DTS-Neo I think and EAX5) with the latest drivers.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 13
No mention of the EMU 1212 here? I thought it was a close competitor to the RME PAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back