Which sound card for ATH-AD700?
May 22, 2009 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

j3ff86

Head-Fier
Just got an ATH-AD700, which sounds great on my Cowon S9, but isn't as loud as I'd like on my computer's aging AV-710 (envy24) sound card.

For games/blu-rays/etc. would you guys recommend the X-Fi XtremeGamer or Asus Xonar D1? Would it be worth it to step up to the Xonar D2? Any other cards to consider?

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by j3ff86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got an ATH-AD700, which sounds great on my Cowon S9, but isn't as loud as I'd like on my computer's aging AV-710 (envy24) sound card.

For games/blu-rays/etc. would you guys recommend the X-Fi XtremeGamer or Asus Xonar D1? Would it be worth it to step up to the Xonar D2? Any other cards to consider?

Well matey I've bought myself an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard for about 85-90$. I can't say much about the sound, because I can only "test" them with Cheapo Philips headphones.

If you've read the reviews you'll see that this card is very good value for the price, tho others could probably recommend the ASUS Xonar Essence STX over this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I was personally wondering about this too. I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX that's coming in the mail tomorrow but these phones already sound awesome on integrated sound (IMO, at least). Do the ATH-AD700's really benefit greatly from a high quality source?

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 5
I ended going with the D1 last month.
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfTT123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the ATH-AD700's really benefit greatly from a high quality source?

Yes. I did some comparisons between onboard (Realtek ALC888) and the xonar, and the difference in clarity is noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back