Which sound better??? HD-600+Cardas cable vs ATH-W2002
Nov 2, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
My take on the ZOTL and W2002 is that they are OK together, but don't really shine. The W2002 seems to like a solid-state output, at least. Fantastic with Sugden. It's very good with HPA-1 and SHA-1. So so with ZOTL and EAR. The issue seems to be in the midrange. With solid state it can be crystal clear. With a tube driving it, there's seems to be a distortion component that muddies the image.

Hi, I beg to defer. I have driven both my CD3000 and W2002 with my CARY 300SEI and Headmaster. I personally prefer the sweet and captivating sound from the CARY/W2002 combo. It is simply amazing.

The difference between the Headmaster/W2002 and CARY/W2002 is like comparing a pop and jazz singer. The first combo gives you the drive and dynamics, whereas the latter, a smooth and life-like experience.

MHO.

Nov 2, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by uvak
Hi, I beg to defer. I have driven both my CD3000 and W2002 with my CARY 300SEI and Headmaster. I personally prefer the sweet and captivating sound from the CARY/W2002 combo. It is simply amazing.

The difference between the Headmaster/W2002 and CARY/W2002 is like comparing a pop and jazz singer. The first combo gives you the drive and dynamics, whereas the latter, a smooth and life-like experience.

MHO.

That's good to hear. I was hoping I was wrong, as I'm discovering I tend to prefer tube equipment with headphones most of the time.

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
So any suggestion of amp for W2002 within $450-$550? Seem like W2002 need a solid state amp. uvak, what is the price for your CARY 300SEI??

I paid 3000+ for the CARY. My headmaster cost around 600.

Personally, I think the Headmaster/W2002 seemed to be more ideal for pop music.

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 52
I'd go for the senn's...

Can't beat the classic reference headphone.

The AT's seem more ornamental than practical. It really looks like they paid more attention to the wood than the actual drivers inside...

Aside from that, i don't believe in closed headphones.

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I'd go for the senn's...

Can't beat the classic reference headphone.

The AT's seem more ornamental than practical. It really looks like they paid more attention to the wood than the actual drivers inside...

Aside from that, i don't believe in closed headphones.

Have you actually heard the W2002? Just wondering because your opinion seems biased towards the HD 600, which you have.
An opinion that directly compares specific headphones is not objective unless you've used both cans.

Nov 2, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Here's a quote from Head-Fier "zzz" regarding the pairing of the MG Head with the W2002s:
"One piece of advice as a W2002 owner I can give you is don't go with MG Head. MG Head is a fairly decent piece of gear, but it doesn't do W2002 any justice. It hisses into them at a fairly annoying (to me) level, there is virtually no bass whatsoever, and in general it does not seem to behave or sound like a tube amp with them"

I am "debugging" my headmaster humming problem, so I have been listening at high volume without music, and I noticed that W2002 put out a lot more hiss compared to sony F1.

I guess it could simply because w2002 is more efficient than F1.

I'll have to say headmaster + w2002 really sing. Well, but this is the most expensive amp/headphone combination I have ever own, so you may want to put that in perspective as well.
tongue.gif

...wait til I have my hands (ears) on a pair of R10 + EAR...
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #27 of 52
My opinion:
1. If you are going to get W2002, you'll gonna expect a very differenct sonic revelation to HD600. Your personal preference will ultimately be the only reason to like it or dislike another.
2. From my readings over the board and my personal exp. with W2002 (serial no. 807). It is made for solid states. I am not saying that tube amp will gonna have a hard time, but you'll probably need a long period of time to find the tube soulmate for your W2002 if tube is the only wat for you to go.
3. My w2002 pairs WONDERFULLY with cosmic reference. But terriblely bad with Xcan vs (that's why ive sold it).
4. W2002 is very critical in the source, beware of unhappiness with some of your records.

Finally, remember that they are totally different headphones. It's like comparing european culture with asian culture. You simply have to accpet such difference in first place to like such thing.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 52
IMO, the W2002 is much better than the Senn/better cable combo. I used a Melos Maestro with the W2002 when I owned it, and I thought this was a trerrific combo, though I believe someone once said the SHA-1/W2002 was not to his/her taste.

You might also want to consider a Sony CD3000, which is midway price-wise between the HD600 and the W2002 and also mid-way between in performance.

But i don't think the MGHead would like the CD3K either, but the ZOTL *loves* the CD3K.

Mark

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 52
Actually I already ordered a pair of W2002, will be mail to my home within next week. Now, my problem is find a good amp for my new cans. I believe (based on other professional head-fier said) W2002 need a solid state amp. However, I only have around $400-$500 buget for it. I want to get a headmaster, but it is hard to get within my buget range.
Any good suggestion???

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
I only have around $400-$500 buget for it. I want to get a headmaster, but it is hard to get within my buget range.
Any good suggestion???

I think corda headamp is considered to be a very nice SS amp, and it's under your budget. I'm actually considering buy it myself. But I haven't listened to it yet, and I'm not sure if it'd go well with W2002 (though I consider it would
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back