Which SONY NWZ would you get?
Sep 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
honestly Sony needs to hire someone to name their products, cuz right now, its just purely... dumb

anyways, back to the topic at hand, i recently decided to look into buying a sony player (something i have NEVER looked into before)

i went on ebay, looking at the models, and i'm pretty confused.
there seems to be a NWZS, NWZE, and TWO NWZA models

which one is good? are they different? can someone give a simple dumbed down explaination?

i'm looking to buy a used/refurb, 4-8gb, for $40-65. thanks.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 34
Same question here...

It is just impossible to realise which series is better than the others!

What is the difference between A - E - S series?

Mainly in terms of SQ. The features can be seen in the various sites...

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly Sony needs to hire someone to name their products, cuz right now, its just purely... dumb

anyways, back to the topic at hand, i recently decided to look into buying a sony player (something i have NEVER looked into before)

which one is good? are they different? can someone give a simple dumbed down explaination?

If you are not confused , how can the make you open your wallet?

I have a experience for register for a hotel room. I google their promotion sale price wich is really cheap. when I Come to the reception counter, the waiter tell me the discound rate room need preoder, But you can have another favorit price, if you order your room for next time, and pay it now, you can get XXX discount, if you if you if you-----, After 2 munites, I was reallly confused, I can't remeber which package is favorite. I have to said, OK, I can't decide for the future, i only stay here for one night. Then I give up any resist to pay them full price. for I am tired and confused.

I think to SONY, the similar model No. also use the same business trick.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are not confused , how can they make you open your wallet?

I have an experience for registering for a hotel room. I googled their promotion sale price wich was really cheap. when I Came to the reception counter, the waiter tell me the discounted rate room need preorder, But you can have other favorit price, if you order your room for next time, and pay it now, you can get XXX discount, if you if you if you-----, After 2 munites, I was reallly confused, I can't remeber which package is favorite. I have to said, OK, I can't decide for the future, i only stay here for one night. Then I gave up any resist to pay them full price. for I am tired and confused.

I think to SONY, the similar model No. also use the same business trick.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 34
X series = flagship, pmp, wifi, touchscreen, S-Master amp, NC

A series = flagship, larger screen than S/E series, NC (for certain models), Bluetooth (for certain models), S-Master (for certain models)

S series = smaller size than X/A series, NC (for certain models)

E series = design quite similar to S series but budget version. Some audio enhancement missing

In term of SQ, those with S-Master amp should sound better. If not equipped with S-Master, A and S series are quite comparable, differ only in term of warmness/hiss

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 34
Here in Europe the A series doesn't have NC. Only Bluetooth for the A8 and non bluetooth on the A7. The new A series I think has it but it's not even out in Japan and we only get the NWZ series in Europe, not the NW...

Otherwise that's right. A is non touch flagship, X is bells and whistle touch screen, S is if you probably don't care much about movies and want a really, really good DAP mostly for music, and E is the very low end of Sony players.

There's also the B series of stick players.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 34
I have an E436 (4gb) and I like the SQ. It is very potent with Pop/ Rock/ Metal.

It has a bug that might irritate some, but I don’t get upset. Every time you turn it on, it recreates the library. This results in a screen that tells you to wait for several seconds, maybe half a minute, sometimes more.

Finally the sound enhancement depends only on the 5band equalizer and nothing else really. No clear stereo/ bass.

I thikk that the newer series (E44X) might be a better bet.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 34
I have a NWZ-A828 with BT and BT headphones. I got it for $99 a few months ago. However, I just picked up a NZW-S545 with 16GB for $120. I like it because it has FM / Voice recording, speakers, and an easy to use Sleep Timer. Push the option button and choose Sleep Timer. I like to listen to audio books at night.

I definitely got 44 hours plus on a 128Kbps MP3 album repeated over and over. I plugged in a Sony BT adapter into the S545 and got a good signal and long battery life (at least 15 hours).

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an E436 (4gb) and I like the SQ. It is very potent with Pop/ Rock/ Metal.

It has a bug that might irritate some, but I don’t get upset. Every time you turn it on, it recreates the library. This results in a screen that tells you to wait for several seconds, maybe half a minute, sometimes more.

Finally the sound enhancement depends only on the 5band equalizer and nothing else really. No clear stereo/ bass.

I thikk that the newer series (E44X) might be a better bet.

Have you compared you're X series with the E series without EQ? I might purchase the newest E series which includes the clear audio technologies...that is if it sounds the same as the new S series.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 34
Steven, I think it's natural that a lower-end product could have more battery life, because it might be simpler. Better sound and many other features often require more power.

Let me try this... the last number in the name denotes capacity, but the value gets reset between different models.
Last Year's Model:
B130 = non-Sony chipset, slower interface, less battery life (compared to the E020)
E020 = Sony chipset (Virtual Mobile Engine), clear audio technologies. Japanese version doesn't have FM
E430 = no clear audio (clear bass/clear stereo/VPT), looks and feels cheaper
S630 = better construction, low noise floor, has the clear audio technologies, SensMe
S730 = the S630 with active noise-canceling earphones
A720 = larger screen (2.4"), sound slightly fine-tuned (new capacitor)
A820 = The A820 with bluetooth, and noise canceling in some regions

This Year's models (US and JP lineup)
B140 = facelift of the B130; has zappin
E040 = Japan only, facelift of the E020; Japanese version now has FM tuner
E340/440 = replaces the E430 but has the clear audio features, no DSEE, basic phones. E440 records FM
S540 = 2.4" screen, speakers, otherwise same as the E340??
S640 = updated interface, may be Japan-only, lyrics ecosystem in Japan
S740 = S640 with noise-canceling, may be Japan-only
A840 = 2.8" screen, S-Master amp, digital noise-canceling, may be Japan-only
X1000 = 3" screen, touch interface, S-Master amp, digital noise canceling, web browsing and youtube. The X uses the same processor as several other walkmans, which is most likely why it can't/won't have apps like the ZuneHD or the ipod touch.

Personally I think the S-master amp sounds better, so the E wouldn't be sonically equal the the X.

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 34
The S545 is a great little beast!

Do the onboard speakers offer any acceptable sound?

I really think I should try one...

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 34
Get a S639 until you can! Some best buys still have it for $120. It is smaller than the newer models by a lot! Righteousball, thanks for the sum up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back