Which Soldering Iron?
Nov 21, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
I have a Weller WESD51 and I love it to bits *shrugs*

I have iron envy... and I think I know what to put on the xmas list this year
biggrin.gif

FWIW, I've been very happy with my Weller WLC100. I've put in through quite a bit in the past year (geez, has it only been that long
eek.gif
) including SMD work and cable making. It's been able to breeze through all of them.

My 2¢,

Nate

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 24
I got this Pace station from Contact East and love it so far. It's $100.

418759cia.jpg

Admittedly, I was partial to this brand because they published the soldering manual I learned from, but also it looked like nice hardware. I haven;t had to turn the heat past about 2/3 for anything so far, whereas my old Weller (the $50 job you see around) was always on full.

Peace,
Sanaka

Nov 23, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 24
so many choices!

unfortunatly the metcal is not out of the picture and Im stuck between the HAkko and weller (im leaning toward the hakko)

the pace presents a nice option though, I have heard good things about the name and the tech i was talking to had mentioned them.

has anyone had any expirience with the pace? im not a big fan of variable heat and I like the weller in that attribute but if hte pace is a better iron i can live with that 'feature'

soo many choices! im going to have to talk to that tech again and see if I can use any of his irons
eek.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
im not a big fan of variable heat and I like the weller in that attribute but if hte pace is a better iron i can live with that 'feature'

That's odd, in my opinion it's an absolute necessity. When moving from say an interconnect to smd chips the ability to vary tip temperature is very nice.

Nate

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 24
I'm thinking about ordering the Hakko 936 from the link above. Can anyone suggest a selection of tips I should pick up with it?

Thanks,
Chris

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 24
I find that the chisel tip is nice for through hole, and the thin tip (the really sharp one) works well for small parts / small holes.. I tend to only use those two..

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #23 of 24
went back and talked to the tech again
rolleyes.gif

talked to another buissness in town (lee company and Pratt & Whitney for any one whos curious) and suprisingly they both used the wellers. the tech at The Lee Company offered to let me take home one and play with it, see how I like it.

I figure I'll take him up on that offer and see what the iron ffels like, if it doesnt have that 'perfect' feeling as Im soldering (or desoldering as the case may be, I just got an old mixing board with 42 1/4 stereo jacks on it, 12 Mic [3 pin] panel mount jacks, and more pots/pushbuttons/sliders than you can shake a stick at!)

if If the weller feels akward at all I'll just get the Hakko but if there's a spark Im gonna get a weller
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #24 of 24
I wouldn't rule out the metcals just yet. I found a nice unit on ebay for around $100. It is the same as this one (but from a different seller.)

I love it to death. It heats up lightning fast and stays that way. They tips a re a cartridge that determines the heat, so even thought there is no temp dial, you can choose how hot you want to solder. It is also tough as a brick.

my 2 cents
-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back